Display Issue with Sharp LC-60LE660U

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Display Issue with Sharp LC-60LE660U

I inherited a 60in TV (Sharp LC-60LE660U) from my folks after the display stopped working and my Dad didn't want to play around with it. I decided to give it a shot and this is what I have tried so far as well as the symptoms.

The symptoms that I was told originally was that the audio worked fine but the picture stayed black. After bringing the TV home I decided to take the back off of the TV to look for a bulging cap or anything that was obvious. Everything looked OK to my untrained eye but I plugged in the TV to see if I could hear anything and all of a sudden I got perfect picture. I unplugged the TV and put the case back on figuring I had jostled a loose wire and the TV no longer functioned. Still got audio but no picture. I did some digging and saw that there was a common issue with T-Con boards and display issues so I found a cheap one online and replaced it. Still no picture.

I noticed that when the picture wasn't displaying I was not getting any backlights. I tried the flashlight trick but still wasn't seeing anything conclusive. I decided to unplug one of the ribbon cables coming off of the TCON and found that I would get half of the screen to work while the other half was fully white. When plugging the TCON ribbon back in and removing the other ribbon it would flip the side of the screen that was working. After running into some brick walls while trying to identify the problem I decided to send the main board in to be repaired if there was a problem with the main board. The repair shop said that they were unable to find any faults with it.

After reassembling all of the components I read that someone had decided to unplug one of the ribbons at the bottom of the screen so I tested this as well. When the left side bottom ribbon was removed I got 3/4 of a working screen. When plugging that ribbon cable back in and unplugging the right side ribbon cable at the bottom I also got 3/4 of the screen working.

Looking for recommendations for next steps. Thanks in advance.
    Attached Files

Re: Display Issue with Sharp LC-60LE660U

FYI, the unconnected cables are for the speakers that are in the back of the case.

Comment

Left side Bobbit should fix it.
      It can be done on its stand in about 15 minutes.

Comment

Sounds to me that you have a backlight problem. What do you get on your BL_ON terminal?
        I assume no responsibility for any stupid suggestions I might post.

Comment

Ok, new term for me, what does Bobbit mean?

Comment

If the Bobbit don't work, maybe try the advice in my signature.

Comment

Originally posted by Justin.aver View Post
              I inherited a 60in TV (Sharp LC-60LE660U) from my folks after the display stopped working and my Dad didn't want to play around with it. I decided to give it a shot and this is what I have tried so far as well as the symptoms.

The symptoms that I was told originally was that the audio worked fine but the picture stayed black. After bringing the TV home I decided to take the back off of the TV to look for a bulging cap or anything that was obvious. Everything looked OK to my untrained eye but I plugged in the TV to see if I could hear anything and all of a sudden I got perfect picture. I unplugged the TV and put the case back on figuring I had jostled a loose wire and the TV no longer functioned. Still got audio but no picture. I did some digging and saw that there was a common issue with T-Con boards and display issues so I found a cheap one online and replaced it. Still no picture.

I noticed that when the picture wasn't displaying I was not getting any backlights. I tried the flashlight trick but still wasn't seeing anything conclusive. I decided to unplug one of the ribbon cables coming off of the TCON and found that I would get half of the screen to work while the other half was fully white. When plugging the TCON ribbon back in and removing the other ribbon it would flip the side of the screen that was working. After running into some brick walls while trying to identify the problem I decided to send the main board in to be repaired if there was a problem with the main board. The repair shop said that they were unable to find any faults with it.

After reassembling all of the components I read that someone had decided to unplug one of the ribbons at the bottom of the screen so I tested this as well. When the left side bottom ribbon was removed I got 3/4 of a working screen. When plugging that ribbon cable back in and unplugging the right side ribbon cable at the bottom I also got 3/4 of the screen working.

Looking for recommendations for next steps. Thanks in advance.
              First of all, we need you to get the terminology correct so we can best help you.

In picture 3 we can see two narrow and long boards at the bottom of the TV with an orange flex cable, called an "Interconnect cable" connecting the two left side boards. There are also two boards that look similar and an interconnect cable between the two right side boards. Those narrow long boards are called "Source Driver Boards".

In picture 4, near the bottom center of the TV we can see a rectangular board, which is called a "Timing Control Board". There is a flat cable that runs from this board to the main board. This is called a "LVDS cable". On the bottom of this board there are 2 flat cables called "Flat Flex Cables" that attach to the inner "Source Driver Boards".

With that, make sure all flat flex cables and interconnect cables are attached.

Turn the TV on, wait 30 seconds then tap lightly upon the screen. When you do, do you get a white flash upon the screen anywhere when you tap on it?

Let's start there.
              They call me......."threadkiller"

Comment

Working...
              X