Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: About Solar Chargers...

Originally posted by EasyGoing1 View Post
    So I got the same setup you have using the link you posted ... I got the 20 watt panel with the charge controller... the instructions are total crap, so I wanted to post this photo and make sure that I'm reading all this properly...

So Im going to connect the solar panel to the SC ports, and the battery, I'm going to connect to the center ports but I'm going to connect the hot lead through a normally closed relay where the relay is actuated when the ignition key is in the on position. This should guarantee that the system is not connected when the alternator is running. And that last set of ports I'm going to just remove those wires since I wont be using them for any lighting of any kind... does that resonate with how you have yours hooked up in terms of properly identifying the ports?
    Correct, the left most ports are for the solar panel, the center ports for the battery, and the right most ports for the load (not used if you're using it to charge an automotive battery, in my case that is where the cable going to my "control panel" for the lights is hooked up).

Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by dmill89 View Post
      Correct, the left most ports are for the solar panel, the center ports for the battery, and the right most ports for the load (not used if you're using it to charge an automotive battery, in my case that is where the cable going to my "control panel" for the lights is hooked up).
      A device like this with a motorcycle battery would be really useful on a camping trip for tent lighting etc.

What's the USB port for? Charging a USB device?
      Last edited by EasyGoing1; 12-24-2021, 12:30 PM.

Comment

A device like this with a motorcycle battery would be really useful on a camping trip for tent lighting etc.
        That is essentially what I have setup in my shed, the battery is a CB12a-a motorcycle battery I've had sitting around for years (I ordered a CB12al-a motorcycle battery from Amazon a few years ago and they sent the wrong one [same size but terminals reversed] and since it was hazmat they didn't want it back after sending the replacement, since most motorcycle batteries ship with the acid separate it was still good so I figured I'd use it for something), though a dep-cycle or LiFePO4 battery would probably be better suited to the task.

After going through my switch panel (just a project box with 3 automotive switches and the volt meter on the front) it powers a 12v LED motion sensor light on the front of the shed, and an automotive LED flood light attached to the ceiling for interior lighting.

What's the USB port for? Charging a USB device?
        correct.
        Attached Files
        Last edited by dmill89; 12-24-2021, 04:00 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by dmill89 View Post
          After going through my switch panel (just a project box with 3 automotive switches and the volt meter on the front) it powers a 12v LED motion sensor light on the front of the shed, and an automotive LED flood light attached to the ceiling for interior lighting.
          Well, I got the panel hooked up to the car kind of willie-nilly for the time being but the back of the car gets tons of direct sunlight for most of the day. I was really surprised when I put my ammeter on it and saw it was charging the battery at .94 amps ... almost a full amp! That's quite amazing for a solar panel of that size.

Thanks for the tip on that purchase, It's going to work out well.

Comment

Working...
          X