Badcaps.net Forum
Go Back   Badcaps Forums > Motherboards with Bad Capacitors > Abit - Asus - Aopen
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-13-2019, 10:18 AM   #1
Requiem

City & State: London
My Country: UK
I'm a: Knowledge Seeker
Default Asus X99 Over heating Capacitor

Hello All
Im hoping you can help me. I bought an Asus x99 from ebuyer.co.uk to replace a failing motherboard. From the get go it would randomly hang. even if i left it running in the BIOS setup it would hang so i raised an RMA and sent it back to Ebuyer.co.uk however i did forget to install the CPU cover so they returned it to me without even checking it saying i voided there returns policy even thou it was sent back in the original anti static bag and packaging.
So im stuck with the motherboard. i decided to try and find the fault and found a single capacitor gets RED HOT even too hot to touch. i found this using a temp sensor
if i direct a fan onto this capacitor the system doesn't halt/hang and its useable. If i take away the FAN it will hang within minutes.
So i contacted ASUS and explained the situation with Ebuyer.co.uk and stated that the issue is not related to the CPU but this capacitor however they inform me that they no longer take RMAs directly and that i have to go through Ebuyer.co.uk and they are refusing so can you help?

The issue of the hanging seems to be with this overheating capacitor. Is it something i can source and replace and would fix the issue or is the over heating cap a symptom of something else?
Is there a test i can do on the cap?
Can i get a replacement? if so what do i order as the numbers dont mean much to me. I do work in IT and can use a soldering iron

The Marking on the Cap are

FP10K 71Cz 101 16

Thank You
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG-3239.jpg (796.9 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg IMG-3240.jpg (465.5 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg IMG-3241.jpg (590.2 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg IMG-3242.jpg (863.4 KB, 19 views)

Last edited by Requiem; 04-13-2019 at 10:24 AM..
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 10:50 AM   #2
R_J
Badcaps Veteran

City & State: ☻
My Country: Canada
I'm a: Professional Tech
Default Re: Asus X99 Over heating Capacitor

Polymer Aluminum Solid Electrolytic Capacitors (FPCAP)
I believe the FP10k is the original fujitsu series
71Cz is a lot number, 101 = 100f, 16 = 16volt
Fujitsu is now nichicon
panasonic also makes them
Nichicon RS8 series I would think would work, I'm sure someone that has replaced these will recommend something

RS81C101MDN1 size = H,9mm; D,6.30mm

Last edited by R_J; 04-13-2019 at 11:04 AM..
R_J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 02:42 PM   #3
ChaosLegionnaire
HC Overclocker

City & State: Singapore
My Country: Singapore
Line Voltage: 240VAC 50Hz
I'm a: Hobbyist Tech

check the mosfets and inductors near the cap. most likely a failed, overheating mosfet and/or inductor is the root cause of whats causing the cap to overheat. replacing the cap wont fix the issue unless the bad mosfet/inductor is fixed first.
ChaosLegionnaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 02:51 PM   #4
R_J
Badcaps Veteran

You may also want to check your power supply, If the caps on the power supply 12v line are bad, this could cause the cap on the motherboard to try and do all the filtering, and it can't handle it., maybe that was the cause of the other board failure too?
Old 04-17-2019, 06:16 AM   #5
Requiem

Hi
Thank you all for the replies. It seems its not just the capacitor thatoverheats. Those 2 black square components also overheat. If i put a heat sink on them and take the fan away the pc run a few more mnutes but again the capacitor gets red hot and hangs. So i think your right its not just a capacitor issue. not sure where i can go from here

Thanks
Old 04-17-2019, 06:42 AM   #6
mariushm
Badcaps Veteran

City & State: Romania
Line Voltage: 230VAC 50Hz
I'm a: Hobbyist Tech

It could also be that one of those ceramic capacitors around the area are shorted causing the circuit to basically work at over 100% and overheating...

The reason I say this is because it seems the motherboard actually starts and works for some time if you cool it, so if a mosfet was dead, I'd suspect that circuit would not power anything or cause your power supply to turn off due to protections.

Some tricks you could use to figure out which component is actually bad... make the motherboard cold in that area... get a compressed air can and shake it and turn it with the head down and spray in the area (with the head down the can will spray cold and freeze the surface)
Then carefully look at what parts get warm the first, which dry out quickest.

In addition to that you could probably just get some isopropyl alcohol and just pour it over the area when the board is cold. Then as you boot it up and board gets warm, the alcohol will evaporate and the warmest parts will dry out first.

You may have to keep pouring alcohol over those parts as the isopropyl alcohol evaporates quickly even in plain air.... and the problem is I'm not really sure if the alcohol you buy will be pure enough that it won't cause issues with that circuit being powered from 12v, without any current limits.
I'd say it's worth the risk, if you don't know how to proceed further ...
mariushm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 07:02 AM   #7
2andrewd

City & State: wa
My Country: us

+ 1 for isopropyl dribbled in the area once it gets hot, 99% or 91% if you not available. 70% may even be fine but I would be weary. The thing is, once you find out which, if any component(s) is/are at fault you're looking at the task of identification and surface mount soldering. jst a thought
2andrewd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 07:12 AM   #8
diif
Badcaps Veteran

City & State: Midlands
My Country: England

Quote:
Originally Posted by Requiem View Post
Hi
Thank you all for the replies. It seems its not just the capacitor thatoverheats. Those 2 black square components also overheat. If i put a heat sink on them and take the fan away the pc run a few more mnutes but again the capacitor gets red hot and hangs. So i think your right its not just a capacitor issue. not sure where i can go from here

Thanks
Have you tried a different power supply ?
diif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 07:57 AM   #9
Requiem

Quote:
Originally Posted by diif View Post
Have you tried a different power supply ?
Hello, Yes. Both power supplies (from other working pc's) sow the same issue.

Thanks
Old 04-17-2019, 07:59 AM   #10
Requiem

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariushm View Post
It could also be that one of those ceramic capacitors around the area are shorted causing the circuit to basically work at over 100% and overheating...

The reason I say this is because it seems the motherboard actually starts and works for some time if you cool it, so if a mosfet was dead, I'd suspect that circuit would not power anything or cause your power supply to turn off due to protections.

Some tricks you could use to figure out which component is actually bad... make the motherboard cold in that area... get a compressed air can and shake it and turn it with the head down and spray in the area (with the head down the can will spray cold and freeze the surface)
Then carefully look at what parts get warm the first, which dry out quickest.

In addition to that you could probably just get some isopropyl alcohol and just pour it over the area when the board is cold. Then as you boot it up and board gets warm, the alcohol will evaporate and the warmest parts will dry out first.

You may have to keep pouring alcohol over those parts as the isopropyl alcohol evaporates quickly even in plain air.... and the problem is I'm not really sure if the alcohol you buy will be pure enough that it won't cause issues with that circuit being powered from 12v, without any current limits.
I'd say it's worth the risk, if you don't know how to proceed further ...
Thank you. I will this a try
Old 04-17-2019, 10:21 AM   #11
R_J
Badcaps Veteran

That circuit seems to be for the memory on that side of the board, have you tried removing the memory stick and see if it still gets hot?
There also seems to be an identical circuit for the other memory stick. Try swapping the memory sticks

The ic's seem to be CSD97374Q4M

Last edited by R_J; 04-17-2019 at 10:27 AM..
Old 04-17-2019, 12:12 PM   #12
Requiem

Quote:
Originally Posted by R_J View Post
That circuit seems to be for the memory on that side of the board, have you tried removing the memory stick and see if it still gets hot?
There also seems to be an identical circuit for the other memory stick. Try swapping the memory sticks

The ic's seem to be CSD97374Q4M
Hello

I removed the memory stick but it still overheats

Thanks
Old 04-17-2019, 12:26 PM   #13
R_J
Badcaps Veteran

The ic's are stepdown buck converters, likley 12v input and 1.8v output, you could check the voltages, there could be a shorted mlcc on the output loading down the whole circuit. There looks like an identical circuit supplying the other bank of ram, Try comparing resitance or voltage between the two circuits
It could be that cap on the ouput is bad (560f/6.3v)
I see some boards use a IR3553 for the buck converters

Last edited by R_J; 04-17-2019 at 01:27 PM..
Old 04-20-2019, 06:07 AM   #14
Requiem

Hello

I put a multimeter on the 2 capacitors and they have the correct voltage across them. here is the video of the freeze spray test. i hope this helps.

Thank you all for your help!
Attached Files
File Type: zip IMG_4387_x264.zip (14.84 MB, 7 views)
Old 04-20-2019, 07:28 AM   #15
Requiem

Post Re: Asus X99 Over heating Capacitor

also did a test on the transistor (what i believe it to be) the first component to warm up in my previous freeze test video

Pins
Middle N
Bottom P .641 (reading from the multimeter)

Pins
Middle P
Bottom N 1.162 (reading from the multimeter)