Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: MS-7548 Failed TK Caps

c hegge,

Thank You, for the recommendations and advice.

I see the other caps you pointed out. I might just replace all of the TK caps on the board for peace of mind.

I will order the caps here on Badcaps.net since I imagine that the proceeds from sales are probably what keep the site running.

Now I just have to find the time. It will probably be a couple of weeks. I will check back in to let y'all know how it works out.

Comment

BC doesn't actually make terribly much from cap sales, most of what he makes is from recapping jobs
      Cap Datasheet Depot: http://www.paullinebarger.net/DS/
      ^If you have datasheets not listed PM me

Comment

It looks like this site is right up my alley. I keep the relatives going and we all hate to say goodbye to usable computers. Like Peacemaker45, I have a bad ms-7548 with bulging caps. This symptom for me is fan on and no post at all.
        I ordered the caps c_hegge suggested and we'll see how it goes. It makes sense to me that the phenom II X4 would choke on poor power. Now on to fill out the profile and wait for the parts.

Jim

Comment

I don't know how, but in the first post, I missed all of the other TK caps on the board (the two near the chipset and the two near the ATX Connector) I'd replace them all too.
          I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

I ordered enough to get all the 1800 uf caps so I'll start there. If this fixes the brother-in laws board for less than $20 that would be great.
            Suitable new AM2 boards or processors aren't available at newegg, so I guess an I3 or I5 with DR3 is the next step. He'd like the performance , but not the price.

Jim

Comment

Originally posted by xgsound View Post
              Suitable new AM2 boards [...] aren't available at newegg
              They are, but as socket AM2(+) is more than dead by now, you can't really expect high quality boards anymore.
              http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813157274
              Originally posted by xgsound View Post
              so I guess an I3 or I5 with DR3 is the next step. He'd like the performance , but not the price.
              Jim
              121usd if you already have SATA drives (1155 boards lack IDE).
              I was bored and cobbled a bundle together

Celeron Dualcore G530 (2.4GHz, Sandybridge based (obviously))
              Biostar H61MGC microATX board
              Team Group 2x 2GB DDR3-1333 RAM (cheaper than two smaller sticks for some reason)

$120.97 plus shipping. Even though it's "only" a Celeron, it would smoke any AM2 system.
              I know it's kinda off-topic here but.. yeah :P

Comment

Thanks for the info Scenic. I had looked at that Asrock board last week. It was the only mATX am2+ at the time.The problem then was that ArkaineDRK said in feedback reviews that the Phenom II X4 940 (125W) didn't work in it. That's the CPU the system has. ArkaineDRK has since said it is working and working well. That may give me another fallback position if the recap fails.

Now that you showed me a $50 1155 Mobo, maybe I'll set up an I5 system for him and say happy birthday. For that matter I'm still running an Athlon X2, so I would like 6X faster myself. I didn't realize that the 1155 boards went so low in price.

Jim

Comment

Okay.. forget about "smoke any AM2 system" .. it would smoke AM2 systems, but not an AM2+ Phenom II Quadcore
                  Those low-end 1155 boards have quite a bunch of limitations though (only 2 RAM slots, missing a bunch of features, may not support high-wattage CPUs, no overclocking whatsoever, etc.). Just keep that in mind.

I'd still focus on the repair first before considering something new. I was just bored and went digging for the cheapest dualcore 1155 combo I could put together as some sort of challenge, if you will

Comment

this is a time I would actually recommend an amd fusion chip. The A8-3850 is about equal to the PII 965 and about $10 cheaper, and the fusion graphics should be able to beat any current amd IGP solution (external video card negates this fact, cause it would be about the same in ether or)

the G530 actually beats about any price/power comparison with AMD. It just gets a bad rep cause of the world 'celeron'

Comment

the G530 actually beats about any price/power comparison with AMD. It just gets a bad rep cause of the world 'celeron'
                      An A4-3xxx Llano + Decent A55 motherboard (Gigabyte makes a decent one with all polymer caps - albeit Apaq) is around $100, the same price as a G530 + H61 Motherboard combo.

The Llano A4-3xxx is vastly more powerful graphics-wise than the antiquated DirectX 10 class G530. I am not a proponent of AMD, but even I would unquestionably go with an AMD system for a budget build.
                      "We have offered them (the Arabs) a sensible way for so many years. But no, they wanted to fight. Fine! We gave them technology, the latest, the kind even Vietnam didn't have. They had double superiority in tanks and aircraft, triple in artillery, and in air defense and anti-tank weapons they had absolute supremacy. And what? Once again they were beaten. Once again they scrammed [sic]. Once again they screamed for us to come save them. Sadat woke me up in the middle of the night twice over the phone, 'Save me!' He demanded to send Soviet troops, and immediately! No! We are not going to fight for them."

-Leonid Brezhnev (On the Yom Kippur War)

Comment

Oh My Goodness! Gigabyte are now using Apaq too on their low-end boards.

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

I would have to disagree with you bird.

the a4's are below par with the g530. but the dx graphics doesn't matter if you're just using it for win7 areo.

the highest passmark for an a4 is ~1800 and the passmark for the g530 is ~2300

next up is the a6 3500, which is ~2200 costs $79, where the g530 is $49.

Comment

Oh My Goodness! Gigabyte are now using Apaq too on their low-end boards.
                            Come on, they've got to at least last a few years...
                            the a4's are below par with the g530. but the dx graphics doesn't matter if you're just using it for win7 areo.
                            No argument there... The G530 will crush the A4 in raw integer and FPU... I could make the same argument as you however that it is powerful enough, if not exceedingly powerful for basic budget use.

But when it comes to OpenGL or Direct3D performance, there is no contest... The A4 simply puts the G530 to shame in every way... The difference is that certain games will be playable on the A4 whereas on the G530, they won't...

For gaming, the G530 is an absolute no-no... The graphics core is several years older than Llano's.
                            "We have offered them (the Arabs) a sensible way for so many years. But no, they wanted to fight. Fine! We gave them technology, the latest, the kind even Vietnam didn't have. They had double superiority in tanks and aircraft, triple in artillery, and in air defense and anti-tank weapons they had absolute supremacy. And what? Once again they were beaten. Once again they scrammed [sic]. Once again they screamed for us to come save them. Sadat woke me up in the middle of the night twice over the phone, 'Save me!' He demanded to send Soviet troops, and immediately! No! We are not going to fight for them."

Comment

Originally posted by mockingbird View Post
                              Come on, they've got to at least last a few years...
                              All of the Gigabyte boards I've used recently have had either OS-CON, Nichicon or NCC polies or Nichicon or Sanyo 'lytics. ASUS have been using Apaq polies for a while now, though.

Comment

Upon further consideration...

(Do not confuse the Apaq caps with the FPcaps. FPcap is a completely reliable brand/series)

I'd probably go with the MSI A55M-P35. It's out of stock there, but I can get the board here for a little under $60.

All Samxon (Manyue / X-CON) "ULR" series... I have practically no experience with them, but they're supposed to be good polymers. I like MSI boards bios/feature wise, but am a bit wary of their hardware...

Comment

The VRM out ones are Fujitsu RE, but the Exploded ones are on the VRM in, and they are Apaq.
                                  Last edited by c_hegge; 05-30-2012, 11:07 PM.

Comment

Though I do hear it actually does pretty well with some games, thats not the point i'm trying to make. Most people who want budget stuff don't play games like this, they get external video cards. Far cry 2 on high quality will give you ~30fps on a A8-3850, I don't want to think about how much a 3500 would par

some games, sure, but most of the time budget people would be more concerned with areo performance, surfing the 'net and playing farmville

gamers dont' use IGP/APU's. at least not 80-90% of them

Comment

c_hegge:Whoa! You think the CAP was the weakest link or one of those FETs caused it?
                                      Most people who want budget stuff don't play games like this, they get external video cards. Far cry 2 on high quality will give you ~30fps on a A8-3850, I don't want to think about how much a 3500 would par
                                      Yes, but you don't need a Sandy Bridge processor to use Windows Aero and surf the net... Like I said, the Llano is more than adequate and there's that added benefit of being able to play games in the future... The point I'm trying to make is that it's more likely that a person who is buying a budget computer will use the additional graphics acceleration features of the Llano than it is that they would use the processing power of the Sandy Bridge.

Comment

Originally posted by mockingbird View Post
                                        c_hegge:Whoa! You think the CAP was the weakest link or one of those FETs caused it?
                                        They are on the VRM IN. A bad FET would NOT overvolt the VRM in caps, although, it could overvolt the VRM out. The only way they could have been overvolted is if the PSU was supplying more than 16V on the 12V rail.

Comment

what if a cap went short, could that cause an in fet to blow?

Comment

Working...
                                          X