X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: LPK12-450W safety capacitor shorted

Originally posted by Taruga View Post
    Don't worry
    My nephiew got new power supply, this one is/will not be used by him. It's for me, and when I need to use it, it will be mainly to test and repair noisy computer fans.
    I have much better spare power supplies to put inside computers.
    In that case, if you're just going to use the PSU for occasional testing, then you might as well remove those caps altogether. As mentioned, they are for noise and ripple suppression on the line. Your PSU already doesn't have any input common-mode chokes or X2-class caps. So the amount of RF and noise it's dumping on the line (and vulnerable to as well) will hardly change if you removed those 1 kV caps.

The gain from removing those 1 kV caps is that least there will be nothing to shock you next time.

Originally posted by raider988 View Post
    I don't really understand how could it be legal to rent/sell house without outlets properly grounded.
    Ungrounded outlets are not that unsafe. Quite a few pieces of electronic equipment use a 2-prong cord anyways.

Also, you can always replace your non-grounded plugs with GFCI It's not a great method, because you're relying on the GFCI device to cut power, should there be a leakage current from line to ground. But it's better than nothing.

That said, installing GFCI plugs in place of old ungrdounded plugs is the only legal way to have a "legal" 3-prong plug.

Comment

the real threat is an old house with grounded outlets that arent.

old houses that had the earth bonded to the pipes and later-on the incoming lead or iron pipe was replaced with plastic.
      i'v seen that a number of times - a dead givaway - no pun intended, is people getting tingles or small shocks from the taps.

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post
        old houses that had the earth bonded to the pipes and later-on the incoming lead or iron pipe was replaced with plastic.
        At least in the US bonding ground to pipes isn't that uncommon even in "newer" houses. My house was built in 1988 and it has the ground bonded to the incoming water main (though it also has a grounding rod as a sub-panel was later installed and they added a grounding rod as well when it was installed), and my mom used to have a townhouse that was built in 2006 and it had the ground bonded to the incoming water main as well. In both cases it is copper pipe right before it goes into the ground so even if the city main was replaced unless they replaced it all the way into the building (in which case they "should" notice the grounding clamp and re-root it to a rod) it should still have a ground.

Originally posted by momaka View Post
        Ungrounded outlets are not that unsafe. Quite a few pieces of electronic equipment use a 2-prong cord anyways.
        Ungrounded outlets themselves aren't "that" unsafe, but ungrounded outlets usually go hand in hand with knob and tube, or at best cloth wrapped romex (some very late ungrounded had early plastic wrapped romex, but only the last few years before grounded wiring became common) which both may have been safe when installed but are known to deteriorate over time and likely aren't still safe 60+ years after they were installed, and any knob and tube (most were 60 amp service at most) is unlikely to have enough capacity to handle modern appliances and electronics.
        Last edited by dmill89; 07-07-2019, 11:53 AM.

Comment

Working...
        X