Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: HP LP3065 black screen, LED lighted, USB works

Originally posted by freddyfena View Post
    With out power I have measured the component in heat shrink tubing (a 0.33 ohm resistor) to 0.3 ohm. I have also measured all diodes I could see; all but two had 0.4 - 0.7 V. One, Z0101 is short circuited, 0 ohm and the other D307 (Besides L6598) gives 0.1 V and has 95 ohm, see picture. I've also looked after bad bad solder joints more carefully, but can't see anything bad. I'm not sure how to test the transistors.
    For the two diodes, unsolder one end and repeat the test. Either one could be causing the problem.

Retiredcaps gives much better instructions than T do, but here goes.

I prefer a two step approach for measuring diodes and transistors. On a transistor arbitrarily number the leads 1, 2, and 3. First, set your DMM on the lowest range, usually 200 ohms. When I indicate 2 pins, place the red lead on the first, the black lead on the second.

For a transistor, measure the resistance 1-2, 1-3, 2-3, 2-1, 3-1, 3-2. A good transistor will read open on all six readings. Sometimes other components will interfere, in that case unsolder the transistor and repeat.

Now set the meter to the diode test range. Repeat the measurements 1-2, 1-3, 2-3, 2-1, 3-1, 3-2. On a bipolar transistor 4 of the six readings should indicate open, two should indicate about .7 volts. Again, other components may interfere, unsolder the transistor and repeat.

On a diode number the pins 1 and 2. Measure the resistance 1-2 and 2-1. It will usually indicate open in both directions. Switch to the diode test range and repeat. It should indicate open in one direction, about .7 volts in the other. (Schottky diodes will read lower).

PlainBill
    For a number of reasons, both health and personal, I will no longer be active on this board. Any PMs asking for assistance will be ignored.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

Comment

Well the Zener diode seem to be OK.
      the other D307 reads the same, so I will try to find a new one tomorrow.
      I will measure the transistors later.

Comment

Well the Zener diode seem to be OK.
        the other D307 reads the same, so I will try to find a new one tomorrow.
        I will measure the transistors later.
        Remember, it takes only one bad component to 'kill' the power supply. You've found one bad component. Replace it, cross your fingers, and try the monitor. There is a good chance that will fix it.

PlainBill
        For a number of reasons, both health and personal, I will no longer be active on this board. Any PMs asking for assistance will be ignored.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

Comment

I have been a bit busy lately, I have now asked of a sample of a UF1005. Thank you so much for all the help I have received, I love this forum :-)

Comment

I have been a bit busy lately, I have now asked of a sample of a UF1005. Thank you so much for all the help I have received, I love this forum :-)
            For those of us following this thread, please could you give us an update. Did you manage to fix the issue?

Comment

Well I´m still waiting for the component to arrive, I hope to assembly it during next week. I´ll write back soon.

Comment

Hi again!
                I finally got the rectifier and changed it, but when I measured the 18V and 24V, I got about the same result. But then I thought why not connect my macbook to it and see? And IT WORKED! So lesson here is to connect everything when trouble shooting ;-)

Although I didn't get it to work on my HP(!) PC at all, I found out that it needs a dual link. funny that my macbook could drive it through the mini display port at 1280 x 1024. If I had tested it on my PC directly I would probably disassemble it and continue trouble shooting...

Any way, case closed now.
                Thank you so much guys! and special thanks to PlainBill your the best!

Regards

Comment

Hello to all
                  First I will shortly introduce myself I worked in the Computer branch in our company since 15 years and repair and maintain every equipment that we have here (hundreds of caps....) Before this time I worked in a Company that repaired Helicopter and I was the responsible person for repairing the Electronic Components.
                  I'm looking for a solution to open the LP3065 without destroying the case.
                  With regards

Comment

Well, I used ordinary screwdrivers to search and find the nasty clips that holds it together. Too bad I have already assembled it, so I cant provide you with any pictures. Just be careful, and use little force in the beginning.

Comment

Well, I used ordinary screwdrivers to search and find the nasty clips that holds it together. Too bad I have already assembled it, so I cant provide you with any pictures. Just be careful, and use little force in the beginning.
                      Hello,

I have the same issue as freddyfena. My HP LP3065 (which is out of warranty) screen went black and orange LED remains lit. It seems that no input from any of the 3 sources is working. I own a multimeter but have very limited electronics experience and feel intimidated poking around after following this thread and heading the warnings of high voltages on parts of the board. I have an experienced electrician whom I can take the monitor to, but what should I tell them is the problem. The rectifier needs replacing on the inverterboard?

Thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by ajnanyc View Post
                        Hello,

I have the same issue as freddyfena. My HP LP3065 (which is out of warranty) screen went black and orange LED remains lit. It seems that no input from any of the 3 sources is working. I own a multimeter but have very limited electronics experience and feel intimidated poking around after following this thread and heading the warnings of high voltages on parts of the board. I have an experienced electrician whom I can take the monitor to, but what should I tell them is the problem. The rectifier needs replacing on the inverterboard?

Thank you.
                        It virtually impossible for us to say for certain. You have read the amount of testing to reach that conclusion.

STORY
                        The man next door has the same car as me and it wouldnt start he tested the fuses ,fuel pump, wiring and battery he asked around and changed the sparking plugs and it worked great.

I dont have the tools so when my car wouldnt start I told the garage to change the plugs.
                        I went to collect the car and it wouldnt start. ???
                        Please upload pictures using attachment function when ask for help on the repair
                        http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=39740

Comment

@ajnanyc, this by no means a sign of disrespect, but I miss PlainBill's posts and when I saw selldoor's story, it reminded me of (to inject some humor)

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showpo...31&postcount=7
                          --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Hi, well I wouldn't start doing any trouble shooting if I'm too uncertain. A full trouble shooting requires to disassemble a lot and put the power board "upside down" and connect everything, including shield/GND. But if you feel lucky one could just change the bad diode, read my post 03-09-2011, 01:24 PM, pict: Bad diodes.PNG. Also remember to look for obvious things like bad caps and burned components :-).
                            Good luck!

Comment

I'm new to this forum so please go easy on me!

I have replaced a lot of bad caps and a few bad components in other LCD monitors and TV's with success.

The problem I'm running into is this monitor (HP LP3065) does not have any obvious component failures. It is displaying the same symptoms as this thread starter.

On a whim I lifted 1 leg of the ZD101 diode from the board and tested its function.....O.L. one way and 0.672V the other way....Good? Other diodes in circuit measure around 0.565V in-circuit and O.L the other way.

I really don't want to assemble the whole monitor outside the metal cage for bench testing..... Its a little time consuming and pretty dangerous with a 300+ volt mains.

I am not sure where to go from this point?

Thanks for your help!
                              -Bobby

Comment

Originally posted by VWBobby View Post
                                On a whim I lifted 1 leg of the ZD101 diode from the board and tested its function.....O.L. one way and 0.672V the other way....Good?
                                Yes, that indicates the zener is good.
                                Originally posted by PeteS in CA
                                Remember that by the time consequences of a short-sighted decision are experienced, the idiot who made the bad decision may have already been promoted or moved on to a better job at another company.
                                A working TV? How boring!

Comment

I have tried checking a few other components and all capacitors look good. Any other suggestions?

Comment

Originally posted by VWBobby View Post
                                    I have tried checking a few other components and all capacitors look good. Any other suggestions?
                                    Hi, just thought I'd share my thoughts on this matter. I've got the same problem myself, and if you head over to my thread, you'll see that I've done a ton of measurements, without really getting anywhere. The progress is has halted because of exams and such, but I may have narrowed it done to either a bad diode or the main IC itself ...

The first thing we need to know is what kind of problem you're having. With "symptoms", did you mean visual ones or measurable ones?
                                    If you allready have measured the outputs (24 V,18 V, RS_ON, etc.) of the PSU, and found them to be the same as freddyfenas (alternating from 0 to whatever and back again), then you know you have a PSU failure, if not, the problem lies elsewhere and I'm sorry as I can't really help you ...

Either way: Post yours results here or in a new thread (link to it here so we can find it ), so someone can help you further.

-----------------------------------------
                                    By the way, to anyone that may read this thread at a later date:

The zener diode ZD101 is in parallell with R113, a 0.16 Ohm resistor; it should read shorted while being in circuit, and I think we should leave it be, the problem will be elsewhere.

Regards;
                                    MrYfe

Comment

You guys rock !!
                                      I just fixed my LP3065 this afternoon based on the information presented here. Took the monitor apart, got the power-supply out and looked for D307. Lo and behold the PCB under the diode was brown and the diode measured about 200 both in-circuit and out-of-circuit. I didn't have a UF1005 around so I looked in my components bin and used a BYV96E instead. Put it all back together, hooked it up and bingo !! Working Monitor again !! We'll see if it is a lasting fix...
                                      I'm not condoning my equivalent, but based on the specs that I looked up, the diode that I put in is a superior replacement - at least in terms of the voltage and current ratings.

Many thanks !!
                                      Stephen

Comment

Just an update on the different diode that I put in. It seems that the response of the BYV96E is not quite the same as the UF1005. Occasionally the screen refuses to start up and the LED stays orange on the front. I can fix it by powering off using the front button and then physically removing the power to the monitor using the power switch on the back and waiting for a couple of minutes before powering back on both on the rear switch and then the button on the front. The power-down and power up sequence appears to matter. So it's an anomaly in the way the circuit works. I'll be ordering the correct diode in the near future and putting that in to solve this problem, but I can live with it for now.

Comment

A diode is still a diode... You may have some other issue there.
                                          Originally posted by PeteS in CA
                                          Remember that by the time consequences of a short-sighted decision are experienced, the idiot who made the bad decision may have already been promoted or moved on to a better job at another company.
                                          A working TV? How boring!

Comment

Working...
                                          X