Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Asrock K7Upgrade-880 "fails" memtest86+

Originally posted by Super Nade
    OST on MB's are shit. OST on PSU's are shit (especially near the power transistors), in fact OST is probably as bad as the Fujjjuckus.
    So if I replaced the 4 OST 3300uf 6.3v near CPU that appear fine on my Asrock K7Upgrade-880 it might not be a waste of time? What about the 4 KZE 1200uf 16v in same vicinity?

When it was rather young it gave trouble and I replaced 16 1000uf 6.3v and it seemed much better for a couple of years. Eventually I began having random trouble with various Linux activity. Then for a while it seemed to be behaving well, so I added a 2nd HD. Then freeze-ups began.

I ran memtest86+ and almost immediately it spewed endless red. I tried 6 different RAM sticks total, and same thing with all. Then I disconnected both HDs and ran memtest from CD, which did 5 passes plus with no errors. So there must be a power problem of some sort. I changed PS to a newer Earthwatts that was working fine when shelved last year. With it, the board won't even POST.

Might replacing caps with no obvious bulges or leaking really resurrect this antique?
    Last edited by mrmazda; 08-06-2014, 07:53 PM.

Re: Asrock K7Upgrade-880 "fails" memtest86+

KZE is not a problem series. KZG and KZJ are.

Unlikely to be a problem.

Replace the capacitors near the ram slots if you have ram problems and you know the memory modules are good.

Comment

I negelected to mention the OSTs are RLX and the KZE are NK.

The few caps near the RAM slots were all replaced years ago, Nichicon 1000uf 6.3v HM.
      Attached Files
      Last edited by mrmazda; 08-06-2014, 10:18 PM.

Comment

check BOTH your psu's

even if the board has problems, the fact that the second psu was worse means it's got problems too.

Comment

Both PSUs pass my digital PS tester. I've already replaced a couple of caps in the original PSU years ago. The much newer 2nd is a 430w 80+ Antec Earthwatts with 3300uf 16v and maybe a 1000uf 16v I already changed, but still has 4 original 1000uf 10v OST RLP and 3 OST RLX 2200uf 10v.

Comment

afaik those testers check voltage - not ripple.

i have a cheaper version with led's and it's really only good for go/nogo tests atfer you do a repair.

Comment

Working...
            X