I cant understand this.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I cant understand this.

I'm sorry, but how can one machine with leaking caps work so well while another machine stops working if you breath too hard on it?

I reassembled my fathers machine with the new Enhance power supply. It now seems incredibly stable. This is the system where the Antec SmartPower originated. After pushing the current machine into place i decided to shine a flashlight into the power supply of the EPoX 8RGA that i recently recapped. This was dads temporary replacement.

This machine showed no behavioral abnormalities but over half of the caps on the MB were leaking.

The first thing inside that i can identify as a capacitor through the fan grill is a blue 10mm radial.....................wearing a fur hat.

How the hell can this thing run so stable?
    Last edited by gastorgrab; 08-25-2007, 11:59 AM.

Re: I cant understand this.

Are you sure its not just glue on the cap?

Comment

can you do a favour, dont repair it just let it run and record the number of days until it fucks everything. i need this data.
      capacitor lab yachtmati techmati

Comment

Originally posted by gastorgrab
        I'm sorry, but how can one machine with leaking caps work so well while another machine stops working if you breath too hard on it?

I reassembled my fathers machine with the new Enhance power supply. It now seems incredibly stable. This is the system where the Antec SmartPower originated. After pushing the current machine into place i decided to shine a flashlight into the power supply of the EPoX 8RGA that i recently recapped. This was dads temporary replacement.

This machine showed no behavioral abnormalities but over half of the caps on the MB were leaking.

The first thing inside that i can identify as a capacitor through the fan grill is a blue 10mm radial.....................wearing a fur hat.

How the hell can this thing run so stable?
        I have the same idea as you. Why is it still stable with a bunch of bad caps??
        I had an IBM netvista with a bunch of failed GSC caps and it was rock stable and I didn't know it had bad caps until I opened the case up....

So yeah, I have the same question. Why is a motherboard with a bunch of bad caps still stable??
        Don't find love, let love find you. That's why its called falling in love, because you don't force yourself to fall, you just fall. - Anonymous

Comment

Why do some General Motors cars still run? Sometimes its just pure blind luck.

Comment

Depends on the CPU Vcore load and various other things, like the number of MLCCs below the CPU socket, the design margin on the VRM O/P, etc.

There are desktop P3/Celerons with a Pd of 12 - 20W or so - they'll probably run OK even if there's a single functional bypass cap on the output side of the VRM, as long as there are a number of large MLCCs below the CPU socket to take the core-clock and FSB ripple.

OTOH, all bets are off even with a single busted Vcore cap on a P4 board with a Prescott 100W+ CPU - the design margins are far tighter.

{\begin rant} Sometimes, it all depends on how much leeway the bean-counters have to fuck things up by omitting extra components that have been spec'ed by real engineers. That's also why bridges sometimes collapse. {\end rant}
            Last edited by linuxguru; 08-25-2007, 11:27 PM. Reason: Addendum

Comment

I had several PCs at work that were all of the same basic design, same motherboard and components. Every PC had GSC caps, and in each case every single cap near the CPU was vented! Oddly, two of the PCs were still stable - but one of them was doing random reboots and crashes.
              Surely the vented GSCs didn't help, but a contributing factor could have been that the fan in the PSU had been dead a long time. The other vented-GSC PCs still had PSUs with working fans - perhaps this prolonged their life?
              You know there's something wrong when you open your PC and it has vented Rubycons...

Comment

Originally posted by willawake
                can you do a favour, dont repair it just let it run and record the number of days until it fucks everything. i need this data.
                With my luck with new parts these days i'm almost afraid to do anything about it.

Comment

Capacitance of a blown cap typically goes down but not always. If a few 3300uf caps turn into 330uf caps you can expect trouble every time. I pulled 4 vented Rubycon 3300uf from a Dell Dimension and the capacitances measured as high as 7500uf. Other than a mucked up Windows XP install, the Dell actually ran quite well. Surely the voltage drops as the capacitance rises but many caps are double to triple the voltage they need to be.

A particular Dell P4 power supply model with Arcon caps has a very high failure rate. I pull and test all these caps because many fail without showing signs. Some Arcon caps from these test more than double the printed value. Those are probably not the ones making the supply fail.

I also had an Asrock P4S61 motherboard that would not post because of two 1000uf filter caps. Each tested about 575uf. Looks like the bean counters left that one on the edge of the abyss.
                  sig files are for morons

Comment

it may take awhile before the vented caps dry out enough to cause trouble.

Comment

Severach. If capacitance does rise two things will happen. Ripple will reduce ( if ESR does not rise significantly) this may slightly raise the measured output voltage and VRM response time will increase.
                      Gigabyte EP45-DS3L Ultra Reliable (Power saver)
                      Intel E8400 (3000Mhz) Bios temps. 4096Mb 800Mhz DDR2 Corsair XMS2 4-4-4-12
                      160Gb WD SATAII Server grade
                      Nvidia 8500GT 256Mb
                      160Gb WD eSATAII Server grade for backup.
                      Samsung 18x DVD writer
                      Pioneer 16x DVD writer + 6x Dual layer
                      33 way card reader
                      Windows XP Pro SP3
                      Thermaltake Matrix case with 430W Silent Power
                      17" Benq FP737s LCD monitor
                      HP Officejet Pro K5300 with refillable tanks

Comment

Originally posted by stevo1210
                        I have the same idea as you. Why is it still stable with a bunch of bad caps??
                        I had an IBM netvista with a bunch of failed GSC caps and it was rock stable and I didn't know it had bad caps until I opened the case up....

So yeah, I have the same question. Why is a motherboard with a bunch of bad caps still stable??
                        It probably wasn't stable, even when it appeared to be, bet you Prime95 would fail pronto!
                        ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

why, my ep 8k3a with more than 6 bloated gsc caps was still running f@h perfectly for months, untill it doing more bluescreen in the end..
                          it's just a matter of time.
                          days are so short when you actually do something..

Comment

As lg pointed out, different loads and regulator circuit contexts make for a great deal of difference. Differences in cooling contribute. Low Z caps are also highly tuned electro-chemical systems. "Minor" differences can have major performance impacts.
                            PeteS in CA

Power Supplies should be boring: No loud noises, no bright flashes, and no bad smells.
                            To kill personal responsibility, initiative or success, punish it by taxing it. To encourage irresponsibility, improvidence, dependence and failure, reward it by subsidizing it.

Comment

Working...
                            X