Li-Ion battery pack balancer board hack/mod

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Li-Ion battery pack balancer board hack/mod

Good day folks. A colleague of mine gave me a little brain teaser today. He likes tinkering with batteries and create all sorts of packs for various battery operated systems we have set up out in the field and he's currently working on a large 40-something cell pack for use in some traffic monitoring system or something, doesn't really matter, a sh!t ton of 18650s there

For a higher capacity, he's stacked like 10 cells in parallel and then wired these sets in series to one another get 18v or 12v, can't remember for sure which one, though I think it 18v, so 4 sets. While he was still assembling the pack, he asked me to come up with a clever solution for how we're going to balance these 4 "sets" which are wired in series like in the diagram I doodled in MS Paint (I only drew 3, with 4 cells each, but you get the gist of it). Of course, being knowledgeable about batteries, the good fellow knows what a balancer is and how it should operate, so he offered to give me a couple of these small balance boards with the ultimate goal of modifying one to adapt to the very high capacity of each of his sets.

I was in a bit of a hurry because I was on my way somewhere and didn't have time to mull it over too much or take pictures of the actual board he gave me, but I thought it over along the way as I was driving to where I was supposed to be and realised that this might not require any mods or hacks at all. He asked me to source him some high power FETs and power resistors to create or at least modify one of these balance boards, but that might not be necessary, because we're not seeking to create a high power LOAD which can draw a ton of current in an instant from these batteries - just enough to take away the extra voltage.

For instance, the balancer I linked to has a discharge rate of 66mA if I understand correctly what that value represents. True, with the available capacity being this big at each "set", it would probably take a long time to discharge an "overcharged" set at that small a rate, so he's somewhat correct and I kinda get what he's thinking of - he wants a fast discharge rate to bring the sets to the same level faster...I THINK that's his theory. I understand it to a degree, but I don't think it's actually necessary ! Why beef up the BALANCE hardware just because the PACK itself has a large capacity ? If anything, the CHARGER would have to be beefy to push the amps required to charge such a pack, while the BALANCER only takes care of any possible "excess" voltage on each set at its own pace if necessary.

To better understand how such a balancer might work, I looked up this datasheet for an IC which might be used on such a board: an HY2213. Page 8 shows us how this simple 3-terminal device operates. B1-B5 would represent our sets made up of 10 batteries each, so WOULD you need such a hack or is it redundant and an off-the-shelf solution like this would handle it just fine ? Cheers and thanks.
    Attached Files
    Wattevah...

Re: Li-Ion battery pack balancer board hack/mod

Originally posted by Dannyx View Post
    Good day folks. A colleague of mine gave me a little brain teaser today. He likes tinkering with batteries and create all sorts of packs for various battery operated systems we have set up out in the field and he's currently working on a large 40-something cell pack for use in some traffic monitoring system or something, doesn't really matter, a sh!t ton of 18650s there

For a higher capacity, he's stacked like 10 cells in parallel and then wired these sets in series to one another get 18v or 12v, can't remember for sure which one, though I think it 18v, so 4 sets. While he was still assembling the pack, he asked me to come up with a clever solution for how we're going to balance these 4 "sets" which are wired in series like in the diagram I doodled in MS Paint (I only drew 3, with 4 cells each, but you get the gist of it). Of course, being knowledgeable about batteries, the good fellow knows what a balancer is and how it should operate, so he offered to give me a couple of these small balance boards with the ultimate goal of modifying one to adapt to the very high capacity of each of his sets.

I was in a bit of a hurry because I was on my way somewhere and didn't have time to mull it over too much or take pictures of the actual board he gave me, but I thought it over along the way as I was driving to where I was supposed to be and realised that this might not require any mods or hacks at all. He asked me to source him some high power FETs and power resistors to create or at least modify one of these balance boards, but that might not be necessary, because we're not seeking to create a high power LOAD which can draw a ton of current in an instant from these batteries - just enough to take away the extra voltage.

If you match your batteries before you hook to a BMS / Protection board you do not need worry so much about balancing your batteries—> but it more work up front and you have match the ESR of the battery match the —> maximum / minimum—> charge/ discharge—> current battery voltage and discharging time

For instance, the balancer I linked to has a discharge rate of 66mA if I understand correctly what that value represents. True, with the available capacity being this big at each "set", it would probably take a long time to discharge an "overcharged" set at that small a rate, so he's somewhat correct and I kinda get what he's thinking of - he wants a fast discharge rate to bring the sets to the same level faster...I THINK that's his theory. I understand it to a degree, but I don't think it's actually necessary ! Why beef up the BALANCE hardware just because the PACK itself has a large capacity ? If anything, the CHARGER would have to be beefy to push the amps required to charge such a pack, while the BALANCER only takes care of any possible "excess" voltage on each set at its own pace if necessary.

To better understand how such a balancer might work, I looked up this datasheet for an IC which might be used on such a board: an HY2213. Page 8 shows us how this simple 3-terminal device operates. B1-B5 would represent our sets made up of 10 batteries each, so WOULD you need such a hack or is it redundant and an off-the-shelf solution like this would handle it just fine ? Cheers and thanks.

If your battery do not match your BMS balancing board is not going to work very well and you might have batteries that get to warm while other are not so warm

I personally do not like this type of protection board because no where does it say what the maximum current is and that is not good

This is the type that I use

https://www.ebay.com/itm/7S-20A-20V-...cAAOSwFYZbvrFs
    Last edited by sam_sam_sam; 05-03-2019, 04:08 PM.
    9 PC LCD Monitor
    6 LCD Flat Screen TV
    30 Desk Top Switching Power Supply
    10 Battery Charger Switching Power Supply for Power Tool
    6 18v Lithium Battery Power Boards for Tool Battery Packs
    1 XBox 360 Switching Power Supply and M Board
    25 Servo Drives 220/460 3 Phase
    6 De-soldering Station Switching Power Supply 1 Power Supply
    1 Dell Mother Board
    15 Computer Power Supply
    1 HP Printer Supply & Control Board * lighting finished it *

These two repairs where found with a ESR meter...> Temp at 50*F then at 90*F the ESR reading more than 10%

1 Over Head Crane Current Sensing Board ( VFD Failure Five Years Later )
    2 Hem Saw Computer Stack Board

All of these had CAPs POOF
    All of the mosfet that are taken out by bad caps

Comment

best setup would be 5 sets of 2 times how ever many you need for time, aka mahr. The fewer in parallel the better if one goes in a pack of 10 in parallel the pack is done really. Alot easier to maintain cells in with the fewest in parallel per pack.

Comment

Originally posted by sam_sam_sam View Post
        I saw that one here and it also incorporates the little balancer I was talking about, in addition to some other features. So really the BMS should do all the work here, no mods required...
        Wattevah...

Comment

I saw that one here and it also incorporates the little balancer I was talking about, in addition to some other features. So really the BMS should do all the work here, no mods required...
          This should work very well for what you want to do
          9 PC LCD Monitor
          6 LCD Flat Screen TV
          1 Dell Mother Board
          15 Computer Power Supply

These two repairs where found with a ESR meter...> Temp at 50*F then at 90*F the ESR reading more than 10%

Comment

So rather than struggling to modify an existing one, I'd be better of telling him to get a "proper" BMS, even if his pack seems rather extremely sized
            Wattevah...

Comment

Yes I would and I would also recommend that you check to see if the voltage cutoff voltage is correct on this BMS board when you have hook it to the battery pack because I have found some that do not cut the voltage at the right level

Life po4 batteries BMS board they say they are for life po4 but they are not LiIon battery instead I have had it happen before be aware of this
              9 PC LCD Monitor
              6 LCD Flat Screen TV
              1 Dell Mother Board
              15 Computer Power Supply

Comment

imho he'd be better off with two 12v lead acid batteries in series... less stress.

Comment

Originally posted by mariushm View Post
                  imho he'd be better off with two 12v lead acid batteries in series... less stress.
                  LOL, probably SLAs are more robust and easy to charge compared to LiIons, though they don't last as long I imagine in terms of "shelf life"...
                  Wattevah...

Comment

Ok, I gathered some official data about the pack this guy is building: it's a 4S-4P pack, meaning it's 4 cells in parallel and then the 4 sets in series, so a 16v pack. Ironically my drawing was almost entirely accurate, save for the fact that I only drew 3 sets instead of 4

His idea wasn't to actually "upgrade" the balancer part, but to "overdrive" it by adding another FET and resistor on top of the existing ones...not sure if it's a good idea or how easy it is to accomplish. Might accidentally drain the cells too fast or completely if the second FET becomes stuck on or "leaks"...
                    Wattevah...

Comment

Ok, I gathered some official data about the pack this guy is building: it's a 4S-4P pack, meaning it's 4 cells in parallel and then the 4 sets in series, so a 16v pack. Ironically my drawing was almost entirely accurate, save for the fact that I only drew 3 sets instead of 4

His idea wasn't to actually "upgrade" the balancer part, but to "overdrive" it by adding another FET and resistor on top of the existing ones...not sure if it's a good idea or how easy it is to accomplish. Might accidentally drain the cells too fast or completely if the second FET becomes stuck on or "leaks"...
                      If he's likes building bombs, then he's off to a good start.😎

Comment

Overdischarge maybe ? What would the main hazard be here aside from "that's not the way it's done" ?
                        Wattevah...

Comment

Ah, lithium batteries actually need a pretty exact charge cycle to stay healthy. The most likely outcome of what your friend is talking about doing is damaging the cell and drastically reducing it's life. Worse case would be that it would expload. Another outcome would be that it does nothing. Charge control chips normally monitor current and such and provide current based on programming using resistors.

Rechargeable batteries have something called a "C" rating. Most Lithium batteries should be charged between 0.4c or 1c. For more information on c rating, here is an article from battery university. (Highly recommended site. )
                          https://batteryuniversity.com/learn/..._is_the_c_rate

Here is one from them talking about charging lithium cells.
                          https://batteryuniversity.com/learn/..._ion_batteries

There is a possibility that you could look up the chip that is part of the charge controller, look at the capabilities of the mosfets, and then program the chip with different resistor values. This should be based on the math given by the datasheet though and not a "I want to charge it in 10 minutes" sort of mentality. lol The chip and the mosfet were designed to do a precision task and there really isn't an "overclocking" for lithium cells. lol

For the proper charge current ranges for your battery, please see the batteries datasheet. A note is that it is almost always easier on a battery to be charged at something like 0.4c than 1c.

“Men always seem to think about their
                          past before they die, as though they were
                          frantically searching for proof that they
                          truly lived.”
                          – Jet (Cowboy Bebop) -

Comment

Hmm... Edit button seems to have vanished on me. lol I wanted to include this article from Digikey. It is a really good look at lithium charge design and talks about certain things, like the diminishing returns you get in charge time when you increase current.
                            https://www.digikey.com/en/articles/...ttery-charging

“Men always seem to think about their
                            past before they die, as though they were
                            frantically searching for proof that they
                            truly lived.”
                            – Jet (Cowboy Bebop) -

Comment

We'll see what happens Honestly, at this point given the weigh and size of that pack, there's no reason not to just go with SLAs, though I believe they may not have the same capacity overall.
                              Wattevah...

Comment

Working...
                              X