HP gets into 3D Printers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HP gets into 3D Printers

Today, HP announced a new technology and 3D printer it thinks is going to revolutionize the industry. This massive machine isn't meant to sit in your home, but rather be a new piece of tech in the arsenal of additive manufacturing. Using a new technology that HP calls "Multi Jet Fusion," the company says printing something that would have taken days will now only take hours.

The company says this new printer will radically reduce time and cost for 3D printing. Multi Jet Fusion works by spreading powdered material across a build area. Then, a "fusing agent" is applied using a paint bar and at the same time a detailing agent is applied for high definition. Those separate "agents" are then fused together.

The printer uses a high-resolution print bar, it can also jet 350 million drops per second at 21 micron precision. For comparison, MakerBot's Replicator 2 comes in at only 100 micron resolutions with other personal printers reach upwards of 50 microns.

HP says what would take a normal 3D printer 83 hours to make, this new HP printer will only take 3 hours. However, MakerBot and the myriad other 3D printers that have been created for personal use in this brave additive manufacturing future will continue to be go-to consumer options for in-the-home printing.

But really its not so much the product, or its neat new way of printing, that's exciting here. It's more that HP, one of the biggest hardware printer companies, has finally taken a step into 3D printing, and as its executive Vice President Dion Weisler reiterated several times throughout the company's morning press briefing—it's the future.
    Source and pictures here.
    Originally posted by PeteS in CA
    Remember that by the time consequences of a short-sighted decision are experienced, the idiot who made the bad decision may have already been promoted or moved on to a better job at another company.
    A working TV? How boring!

Re: HP gets into 3D Printers

Looks interesting, but I wonder how much the consumables will cost ?

Comment

Originally posted by diif View Post
      Looks interesting, but I wonder how much the consumables will cost ?
      more than their ink.

BTW Th3_uN1Qu3 i preferred the pic of the receiver knob as your avatar.
      Things I've fixed: anything from semis to crappy Chinese $2 radios, and now an IoT Dildo....

"Dude, this is Wyoming, i hopped on and sent 'er. No fucking around." -- Me

Excuse me while i do something dangerous

You must have a sad, sad boring life if you hate on people harmlessly enjoying life with an animal costume.

Sometimes you need to break shit to fix it.... Thats why my lawnmower doesn't have a deadman switch or engine brake anymore

Follow the white rabbit.

Comment

Originally posted by goontron View Post
        more than their ink.

BTW Th3_uN1Qu3 i preferred the pic of the receiver knob as your avatar.
        While HP's home printers are garbage, their enterprise level stuff is still good quality. I recently worked with an Indigo 5500 that was impressive! That said, I still wouldn't buy an HP printer or laptop for my home

Oh and why would he care what you think of his avatar? lol

Comment

Working...
        X