pioneer vsx 2021 no sound

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: pioneer vsx 2021 no sound

The unit I just fixed had 26k hours on it at time of failure, if the new one goes half that I'll be happy.
    Can the 830s be used in place of an 810? Reason I ask is I accidentally ordered an 830 for this project and wondered if it would work. Still waiting for it to show up. The 810 came right away so I used it.
    Last edited by Decim8; 05-05-2022, 07:12 AM.

Comment

As far as I'm aware, the D830 is the same chip as the D810 but it has network and USB functions built in. I don't however know if it can be used in place of the D810 without checking a schematic for a receiver that uses each device to be sure the connections are the same.

The problem with these Chinese supplied chips is you don't know how many hours they've logged before being salvaged and reballed. The extra heat cycles involved in removing, reballing and refitting can't help longevity either.

The Onkyo TX-NR636 is the model to look for (or it's HDMI board) in a faulty condition because it has both a D830 D and D810 D on it. If you can get the amp to power up, you can at least check the hours usage before deciding whether to use it for parts or repair it and sell on.

The power amp on the 636 seems quite fragile compared to similar older models so it can be picked up fairly cheap when it goes up in smoke. Only trouble is, it's still fairly current with Dolby Atmos and HDMI 2.0 etc so can be sold for more than an old Pioneer like the VSX-2021 or VSX-LX55

Comment

I have the same problem, full controls but no audio and no clock signals on VSX-1021-K. Reflowed the DSP with no avail. Unable to find the firmware for the VSX-1021-K. So I am tempted to try Andy's VSX-2021 firmware. Very little to loose, any thoughts?

Comment

I've not worked on the VSX-1021 but if it uses the same DSP chip it may be possible to patch your firmware with part of the LX55 one. I found that the area that gets erased is 0h to 10,000h. If this is blank, cut and paste that area from my file into yours. It should get it running and then you can do a full update from USB.
          If the DSP is the BGA variant it should be warm to touch after a few minutes running. If it's cold then it has probably failed. Reflowing it sometimes works but reballing or replacing is better.
          The other thing to check is the firmware version in the system menu. If it shows *** in part of it, the firmware is corrupt or the DSP has failed... or both.

Comment

Originally posted by andyb1712 View Post
            I've not worked on the VSX-1021 but if it uses the same DSP chip it may be possible to patch your firmware with part of the LX55 one. I found that the area that gets erased is 0h to 10,000h. If this is blank, cut and paste that area from my file into yours. It should get it running and then you can do a full update from USB.
            If the DSP is the BGA variant it should be warm to touch after a few minutes running. If it's cold then it has probably failed. Reflowing it sometimes works but reballing or replacing is better.
            The other thing to check is the firmware version in the system menu. If it shows *** in part of it, the firmware is corrupt or the DSP has failed... or both.
            Hi Andy,

You don't happen to have a DSP FW dump from a working VSX-922 do you? I'm fixing my DSP IC (UE22 error), and also will need to reflash my eprom.

Thanks heaps!
            Chris

Comment

Here's a Dropbox link to the file I modified and used to update my receiver.

You can use this over and over because the receiver thinks it's getting a new update but it just reloads the same version.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/7efo8tqpzi...pdate.zip?dl=0
              Hi Andy, not sure if you are still here, the link no longer works. Would appreciate if you could provide a new upload link?

I have a VSX-52 with the no sound issue, I flashed the EEPROM with the bin you have provided in post #29, and it fixed the no sound issue.
              Only thing is that the FM doesn't work or there is no sound and the "tuned" display stays lit all the time. Even if it's not tuned to a any FM frequency station.
              If I force it to tune to a known FM station in my locality no sound comes out from it.

I'm just wondering if this is because of the EEPROM flash or just a faulty FM module.
              Also, I have fully updated through USB update to the latest version. It won't update through net. It just keeps on saying accessing then nothing happens., but USB update works fine.
              I tried updating again, now it says " Update not needed" or something.

I was wondering if I could get a copy of the EEPROM that you provided to trick the receiver into updating again and again. Just wanted to try it.

Thank you.
              Last edited by nodols; 01-28-2023, 11:40 PM.

Comment

Pioneer has taken down there links to the firmware, I suspect the online update server has also been shut down.
                The firmware you installed is for Europe so that is likely why the FM is not working.
                I found this as the original link that is not working
                pioneerelectronics.com/ephox/StaticFiles/PUSA/Files/VSX-53_52_1121/Ver1_204_087_119_093/AVR_1_204087119093.zip
                But found what should be the file.
                I can upload it if you want to try it.
                Last edited by R_J; 01-29-2023, 03:17 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by R_J View Post
                  Pioneer has taken down there links to the firmware, I suspect the online update server has also been shut down.
                  The firmware you installed is for Europe so that is likely why the FM is not working.
                  I found this as the original link that is not working

But found what should be the file.
                  Try it at your own risk.
                  Hi R_J, thank you for this. I tried updating the receiver using this file. It just keeps saying "NO NEED UPDATE".

This is the reason I wanted I asked a copy of @AndyB1712 's file and what he says in his post #36 link below. Wherein I think he tweaked the firmware and this fools the receiver into thinking this is a new update.

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showpo...0&postcount=36

He provided a dropbox link, but that link now is dead. So I'm hoping he uploads it again.

Comment

This is why links are n.f.g. they disappear. Have you tried changing the file name to a higher number, like avr_12_0243 ?
                    The other option might be to change revision and release numbers in the file itself
                    Last edited by R_J; 01-29-2023, 03:29 PM.

Comment

This is why links are n.f.g. they disappear. Have you tried changing the file name to a higher number, like avr_12_0243 ?
                      Doing it now.

Comment

The other option might be to change revision and release numbers in the file itself
                        I tried renaming the file. Still says "NO NEED UPDATE", I'm thinking this is internal to the programming.

Not sure how to change the revision itself. Might need a hex editor? only thing is that's where my know-how ends.

Comment

I changed it from 12_0242 to 12_0243, using hex editor, see it it works.
                          Does it display the current firmware? maybe that could be a clue what to change.
                          I did not want to leave the files up incase it did not work. I can upload the edited file if needed.
                          Last edited by R_J; 01-29-2023, 04:17 PM.

Comment

I changed it from 12_0242 to 12_0243, using hex editor, see it it works.
                            Does it display the current firmware? maybe that could be a clue what to change.
                            I did not want to leave the files up incase it did not work. I can upload the edited file if needed.
                            Where have you uploaded it? Can't seem to find it.

Comment

I took it down again, If the revision number I changed doesn't work there is no point it leaving it up.
                              Last edited by R_J; 01-29-2023, 07:51 PM.

Comment

I took it down again, If the revision number I changed doesn't work there is no point it leaving it up.
                                Oh ok. I guess it's up to Andyb1712, I hope he logs in again.

Comment

Originally posted by nodols View Post
                                  Oh ok. I guess it's up to Andyb1712, I hope he logs in again.
                                  If you want to try the file where I changed the version number let me know.
                                  Last edited by R_J; 01-29-2023, 08:33 PM.

Comment

If you want to try the file where I changed the version number let me know.
                                    Sure. I'll try it.

Comment

## Attached - DSP firmware dump from Pioneer VSX-LX55 ##

Tested and working in both VSX-LX55 and VSX-2021.

Circuit location is: IC9004, device is: MX25L1606E.

Version is 119 from Pioneer firmware AVR_1_204087119093

I loaded this into my VSX-2021 IC9004 although the rest of the receiver was still running an older firmware version. It then started up and ran fine. I was able to perform a full update via USB to the rest of latest version detailed above.
                                      Thx so much for your work Andy! After flashing your file my VSX-2021 with a 'B' DSP and with the *** instead of DSP flash part# is producing sound again. Luckily, the MX eeprom could be flashed on-board with AsProgrammer. After switching on I checked the firmware number and was initially sad to see it was still showing ***, but after a few seconds it changed to 119. After toggling the source selector I immediately got UE22. After rebooting it a second time, there was no UE22 and there was sound via the VIDEO input. I still have to try HDMI inputs, but even if they cause UE22 I'm still happy I can use it with analog stereo sources. I should add that first off I heated the DSP IC9002 for about 40 seconds with a heat gun set to 270 degrees celcius ~1.5cm above the chip.

I still have a problem though... I can't find any firmware upgrades. It is currently on version 1-191-086-119-063.

Can anyone share the latest version with me?
                                      Last edited by jockyw2001; 03-16-2023, 02:15 PM.

Comment

Please, anyone can share or post last firmware for Pioneer VSX-LX55?
                                        Regards

Comment

Pioneer HM 82 K No audio

Comment

Working...
                                          X