This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: best cheap/free scores 1.1

Back on topic... I was given a 120v AC inflater/deflater, which works a hell of a lot better than canned air to blow dust out/off of things. May not seem like big score but some little things like that make a world of difference.

Comment

Originally posted by momaka View Post

As gloomy as this may sound... all I have to say is: +1

I refuse to work on tablets and smart phones. Already had hell of a time trying to upgrade the memory on a Acer netbook today. Had to pry the keyboard so hard that I inevitably bent it a bit. No screws, latches only. And I hate latches. Sure was easy putting back together, though.
      A 5$ mobile phone plastic disassembly toolset makes all the difference in the world. I have fixed my Samsung s3 two times already. I wouldn't even bother without plastic wedges and pry tools.

Edit: While I dont always use hot air to do smd work, you should really have a hot air station handy. Also kapton tape helps to avoid knocking off adjacent components.
      Last edited by clearchris; 08-28-2015, 08:03 PM.

Comment

Re: Your Best Dumpster Finds

Originally posted by stj View Post
        lol
        it says to fuckoff because i'm not from the right cuntry!
        That's xtremely SME, UMG and WMG-esque bullshit.
        ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

Originally posted by RJARRRPCGP View Post
          That's xtremely SME, UMG and WMG-esque bullshit.
          can you expand on those 3 letter things, i lost my secret decoder ring!

Comment

can you expand on those 3 letter things, i lost my secret decoder ring!
            Sony Music Entertainment, Universal Music Group and Warner Music Group.

The big-3 record companies. That apparently want to rule YouTube.

90 percent of content-id claims and IP bans are because of those suckers!

And never mind EMI, because UMG gobbled up EMI!

UMG wants to rule the world.....
            Last edited by RJARRRPCGP; 08-30-2015, 12:00 PM.
            ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

too bad they dont have any decent music between them like hollyweird doesnt have any decent films then.

Comment

Scored two HP L2245wg LCDs for $5 a pop... too big for my desk!

Still, the picture quality is pretty nice... Good thing I have decent graphics to back them up (2x Geforce 250 SLI'd).
                sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

Originally posted by ratdude747 View Post
                  (2x Geforce 250 SLI'd).

Comment

Originally posted by shovenose View Post
                    I said decent, not "gamer".
                    sigpic

Comment

A few months ago, a friend gave me a Laptop Acer Aspire 5738Z, which would not start, this laptop found him on the street 1 year.
                      Its failure was the ram memory did not contact and prevented the start, clean the contacts of the memory module with an eraser, and he returned the computer to life.
                      Info pc:

Photo laptop:

And in a second-hand market, buy 2 sticks 2GB DDR2 for $ 3 (without error memory). (installed on my Core 2 Quad Q8200)

Then in the same second-hand market, buy 2 computers for $ 18 each.
                      Equipped with:
                      Gigabyte GA-EP35-DS3L
                      Intel core 2 duo E7200
                      Nvidia 610

Second computer:
                      Asus P5KPL epu
                      Intel Core 2 Quad Q8300
                      A sitck 2GB DDR2
                      Nvidia Geforce 8400GT Asus Silent
                      Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 500GB
                      Last edited by kevin!; 09-01-2015, 12:37 PM.
                      Gaming pc:
                      nVidia RTX 3080 TI, Corsair RM750I.
                      Workshop PC:
                      Intel core i5 8400, Intel SSD 256GB, nvidia gt1030, asus b365-a.
                      Server:

Comment

Being as that's a GM45 chipset you can pick up a T/P9000 series Core 2 Duo for it which would be a huge upgrade over the Pentium it has now.

Not sure how much they are there, but a T9400 is about $11 here.

Comment

cpu's are pretty expensive in Europe compared to the u.s.
                          i see this on ebay a lot when i'm searching for something specific.
                          it can be as much as 3 times the price.

Comment

Here they are more expensive, but if I look good I can find something cheaper.
                            The drawback to the P9000 series is worth a fortune.
                            if I can, purchasing 2 T9400 for my aspire 5738Z and 5732Z. T9400 are at € 14 ($ 15 US)
                            the T4200, for basic tasks, web, office, and watch movies in 1080, for me it is going well. But if I can improve, I'll try to get those T9000.
                            Thank you Compgeke.
                            Bye
                            Gaming pc:
                            nVidia RTX 3080 TI, Corsair RM750I.
                            Workshop PC:
                            Intel core i5 8400, Intel SSD 256GB, nvidia gt1030, asus b365-a.
                            Server:

Comment

Went on ebay to check for any cheap Vivitar or whatnot Nikon lenses and ran across a Sigma 35-80 f/4-5.6 DL autofocus lens, $12 BIN, free shipping.

Now waiting for the $12 lens as a temporary lens until I can get another Nikon 28-105 f/3.5-4.5D, being as that's had fucked focus for a while and recently the electronics gave out.

Comment

Scored a Sony PRS-300 e-reader for $10.

Wiped it and threw on PRS plus (aftermarket GNU firmware). Only thing that's "broken" is the clock is stuck in 24hr mode (the setting only changes the view in the time settings only). Also, half the PRS plus apps don't work 100%, mainly due to the lack of a touchscreen and/or a few extra buttons. Being a budget model, I'm stuck with the measly 420mb of internal storage (440 before PRS plus), no card slot.

On the plus side I now have something to use as a replacement owner's manual for my truck... If I had expandable storage I'd also throw in my electronic "copy" of the half-useless Haynes manual (which is 250mb, due to it being scanned images of the pages).
                                sigpic

Comment

Bentley manuals are said to be very good.
                                  unlike haynes they have *real* schematics in them!

Comment

Bentley manuals are said to be very good.
                                    unlike haynes they have *real* schematics in them!
                                    Since one can get the actual service manuals for $30 a pop in electronic form, it sorta makes these manuals pointless. Haven't gotten one for my truck though, as usually I can find the info I need online.
                                    sigpic

Comment

Picked up some decent stuff this morning at boot sale

Vintage Hitachi K-62L TV / Radio / Cassette Boom Box £3 (Everything works apart from tape, I think it needs drive belts changing)

Logitech Z-10 Speakers £10 - Work but backlight LEDs need replacing

Vintage Pioneer Cassette / Radio £2 - doesn't work but doesn't appear to be tampered with

Couple of PVRs 250GB HDD - Working £1 each

Sony Xperia J - £15 working

In car camera with 2.5" LCD screen - £2 looks new

and a few other bits and bobs. Missed out on a spectrum with a box full of games that went for peanuts
                                      Last edited by mikay786; 09-06-2015, 12:42 PM.

Comment

what are the pvr's?

Comment

what are the pvr's?
                                          Crappy ones, freeview with just scart (no hd or hdmi) 250GB cant complain though for a quid each.

(Ill edit post in a bit with brand)

2 weeks ago I scored a humax PVR for £4.50, sold it for £120

Love this thing though, looks so cool. Also portable but takes 10 huge batteries!!

Anyone had to change drive belts on cassette decks?
                                          Attached Files
                                          Last edited by mikay786; 09-06-2015, 01:13 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                          X