Dell U2311Hb 2 sec. to black, advanced edition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dell U2311Hb 2 sec. to black, advanced edition

I posses multiples of this monitor so it was easy to rule out the CCFLs by swapping power boards. The issue followed the board.

A full recap did not fix it.

Been probing between the bad board and a good one off and on for 2 days, as much as I can stand it. xfmrs, HV output caps, all 2 and 3 legged silicon all check out the same with a multimeter.

Couple hours under the microscope looking for bad joints, finally in frustration resorted to baking the board...no change.

sometimes this hobby is not so much fun

Power board in question is 4H.14W02.AF0 which is based on the more general E162030 VOL.3 design if I am guessing right. That latter google search returns many similar boards.

I am a capable board mechanic, but certainly no theory genius. I am a bit reluctant to start probing a live board without a better idea what I am looking for. Switch mode supplies frequently confound me.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

board pics attached per the sticky, thank you
    Attached Files

Re: Dell U2311Hb 2 sec. to black, advanced edition

hmmmm, I had rather feared that the replies would be slim on this one,

probably best just order a new board from China 'eh?

Comment

My guide lists all the possible problems (well 95%) with 2 second to black.

1) Did you check the 8 pin mosfets on the back side of the pcb to see if they are shorted?

2) What resistance readings do you get on the inverter transformer (secondary windings)?
      Last edited by retiredcaps; 11-03-2015, 01:34 PM.
      --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

I suppose you still can see image on it with a flashlight when it goes to black?
        Looks like something in inverter triggers protection and it goes into shutdown.
        Inverter circuit is the big black (not yellow!) transformer and surrounding components.
        Check the transformer itself, and maybe you forgot to check those two SMD chip-like components (8-legged ones) on the back of the PCB? Those are MOSFETs that drive the inverter transformer. They can go short.
        stay classy

Comment

I also had this problem with this monitor type. In the beginning I thought the power supply was faulty, but after some while, I discovered it was caused by a broken backlight wire. When the monitor was cold and I turned it on, I could here a spark that was arcing between the wire and the ccfl tube. And I could smell ozone as well. I diassembled the lcd panel and I indeed found a broken wire. I reconnected the wire and the monitor is working perfect again.
          Attached Files

Comment

Working...
          X