Magnavox DV225MG9 VCR not accepting cassettes without "help"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Magnavox DV225MG9 VCR not accepting cassettes without "help"

I'm working on this Magnavox VCR for somebody else and am a bit stumped by it. Basically, the thing powers up and runs and reads optical discs, but when inserting a cassette into the cassette drive, it will take it in and then set it down crooked (third picture). Eventually, the machine will give up and eject.

I found that if I push the highlighted pin (first & second picture) to the left before the VCR gives up, everything will "snap" back into place and it will actually operate correctly.

For reference, this is the part that applies tension to the tape during playback (fourth picture). Somehow, it doesn't quite have the strength to get into position and allow the machine to accept cassettes normally. Any ideas as to how to fix this?
    Attached Files

Re: Magnavox DV225MG9 VCR not accepting cassettes without "help"

what drives that tape tension arm gears or a belt?

Comment

metal strip

Originally posted by vinceroger69 View Post
      what drives that tape tension arm gears or a belt?
      The tension arm gears are driven by a metal strip wrapped around the black gear (center of first photo) that ultimately attaches to the main framework (second photo, front and center). I don't know exactly what's moving it, as it's impossible to see with a cassette inserted, but it seems to have something to do with that black gear.
      Attached Files

Comment

its years since i worked on vcrs mainly then it was dirty mode switch worn belts etc or timing issues maybe have a look on youtube 12voltvids channel he has loads of videos on this kind of fault
        Last edited by vinceroger69; 03-14-2017, 01:03 PM.

Comment

The back tension arm gets pushed back by the tape guide, the back tension band is just a brake band around the supply reel, it moves forward when the guide moves forward (pulled by the tension spring)
          It could be a mode switch problem not allowing the mechanism to complete the unloading all the way or the tape guide gear (under the mechanism) could be out one tooth but not likely
          Something else to check are the gears on the cassette basket, make sure the plastic arms that are on the left and right of the cassette are working together

These mechanisms where a piece of shit from new.
          Attached Files
          Last edited by R_J; 03-14-2017, 01:35 PM.

Comment

I agree with RJ. It looks to me as if the drum guides (2 white plastic roller guides) are not retracting all the way in the "tape out" position. Therefore, the tension arm is being allowed to drift forward of its correct "tape out" position.

But, photo #4 in your first post shows that the tension arm has moved completely outward past its normal position. Is the cassette all the way down on the chassis during this photo?

Causes of the drum guides not retracting far enough can be worn/missing gear teeth (underneath) foreign objects caught in the tape mechanism, or faulty mode switch (underneath). Kids love to use the cassette door as a convenient place to store their stuff. If you don't see any obvious mechanical damage, replace the mode switch.
            Last edited by Longbow; 03-15-2017, 08:50 AM.
            Is it plugged in?

Comment

left a bitter taste in my mouth

Originally posted by Longbow View Post
              I agree with RJ. It looks to me as if the drum guides (2 white plastic roller guides) are not retracting all the way in the "tape out" position. Therefore, the tension arm is being allowed to drift forward of its correct "tape out" position.
              That photo was taken with the tape in properly after I had "helped" that post into position. Unfortunately, after working with it a bit more, the situation deteriorated to the point where the tape got stuck inside. Even if it could be repaired, the video quality was awful (even by VHS standards) when it was working, so I don't know if it would've been a worthwhile fix anyway. In the end, I strong-armed it out, but the tape was ruined and I gave up on the VCR. I told its owner to either use it as a DVD player only or to destroy it with fire (even though I usually recommend foisting it onto some other poor soul by way of Craiglist or eBay). In hindsight, I don't even know if he would be able to use it as a DVD player either because the machine wasn't even staying on by the time I got done with it.

Very rarely do my repair projects end with making things worse than they were when I started, but that's the way it goes sometimes. Thank you all for the tips and feedback anyway. It made for an interesting Tuesday.

Comment

Working...
              X