Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

13003 transistors...TO92?!?

Ok I think I found another fakey.

A CFL burned out on me so I opened it... found the tube had both heaters open (weird!!!). Trash time.

Then I looked at the driver board. I found two 13003 transistors... they're TO-92! Aren't they supposed to be TO126? And yes, the 13003s appear to be OC....

Oh well, I guess nothing to salvage from this CFL. At $0.50, it's no wonder they cheaped out as much as possible.

Pictures, when I get a chance...
    Last edited by eccerr0r; 11-26-2017, 09:44 PM.

Re: 13003 transistors...TO92?!?

no, you can get them in to92 - i got some from RS for a repair.

Comment

Ah okay. All the other 13003's and the datasheet I pulled up has it TO-126 which is what I'm more familiar with. So I suspect the thermal resistance is higher for the TO92?

Not sure how many watts either can dissipate without heatsinking...

Comment

I laughed when I first saw them, the little guys are popular in CCFL/LED bulbs, 12V 20W halogen lighting and crappy AC-DC wall warts from the gutters of guangdong.

taiwan MJE13003 is rated 400V 1.5A 20W max. in TO-126 and 1.5W in TO-92.

Comment

Ha. that's 20W with a heatsink; without one like in most CFLs - only 1.4W (and 1.1W for the TO-92 in the same situation) - no wonder why they started using TO92, only a little lower limit...

Granted I have seen dead CFLs with (slightly) heatsinked TO220s... forgot if they died or not.

Comment

It's the same design family as the MJE13005, 13007, and 13009 (the intermediate steps were lower voltage). Originally the MJE13003 was TO-126. I guess the die fits in a TO-92 package and suits a particular low-cost niche. If I were repairing and they fit I'd upgrade to the TO-126 part.
            PeteS in CA

Power Supplies should be boring: No loud noises, no bright flashes, and no bad smells.
            To kill personal responsibility, initiative or success, punish it by taxing it. To encourage irresponsibility, improvidence, dependence and failure, reward it by subsidizing it.

Comment

I suppose so. As it was in a $0.50 CFL lamp, it's not worth to repair it because it suffered multiple failures:

- both 13003s are shorted C-E
              - both heaters of tube are open
              - both 10 ohm emitter resistors are fried.

I kept the 0.47 ohm fusible resistor, at least that seems to still be working. The transistors saved the fuse as always.

Comment

Originally posted by eccerr0r View Post
                The transistors saved the fuse as always.
                Too bad they don't use a transistor for the fuse too
                "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

Working...
                X