Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

No sound from surround sound reciever! HELP!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No sound from surround sound reciever! HELP!

Ok. Here is the problem. I recently purchased a 37" Polaroid LCD HDTV. Everything seems to be working fine on the TV except the sound. I know these TV's have crap sound so this is why I have always had my surround for movies and sports games, etc. Well I have an digital optical cable plugged up from my TV's audio out to my reciever. There's no sound. I try it on my previous tv and it works fine. I try regular audio (red/white) cables from the audio out on the tv to my reciever. Still no sound. I thought my reciever or my sound system is messed up but when I plug these exact same cables to the previous TV or my DVD player, it works fine. I have also plugged an existing speaker that has inputs on it to the tv and it works fine. So basically my question is....

Why am I getting no sound from my reciever? Can it not understand the sound coming from the TV? PLEASE HELP!!!!

Re: No sound from surround sound reciever! HELP!

Your new TV sounds like it has a setup issue. The new sets can have deep menues.
    On some it's required to turn off the sets speakers to get audio outputs.
    On some you have to select the type of audio outputs.
    Some do a remarkable autodetect, where it senses inputs and outputs.
    My last set came with a one hour setup video to supplement the complex manual, it had auto detected incorrectly.
    Jim

Comment

I've gone thru all the menus and cannot find anything. I thought maybe it could be some kind of setup issue as well but there are no options for audio besides the simple bass, treble, balance. I called Polaroid's customer service and she thinks it's the sound system that cannot detect it. I think that it can be the problem as well. I've tried troubleshooting myself to figure out the problem and they only logical explanation is either the options on the TV itself or the surround sound system cannot decode the sound from the TV. It's getting rediculously late and its just being a pain now. Hopefully Pioneer's customer service can be more helpful then Polaroid's.

Comment

I too have a Polaroid 26" LCD HDTV and the exact same thing is happening to me. I have a Philips surround sound that definitely works when I plug anything else into it, just not the TV. I am trying to use the red and white RCA cables and get nothing. I called Polaroid and after establishing that it is in fact the TV they agreed to forward my problem to tech support. I will let you know what happens with that if they do ever decide to contact me.

Comment

Don't know if this will help, but I had a 27"monitor that had a switch on the back panel to select speaker configuration. The raised plastic markings were barely visible. If you had the switch in the wrong spot, no sound.

Also, I have had to change settings on my DVD player as well as my PCs to get the optical output to the correct format for my HK rcvr.

If your rcvr is anything like mine, you must change the input type for whichever video your selecting. Make sure you are not overlooking that when you test your RCAs.

Also...how long is the optical cable??? What model is your rcvr? What is your other TV that works????

Originally posted by GermanPlumber
          I have also plugged an existing speaker that has inputs on it to the tv and it works fine.
          is the speaker self powered??? what outputs from the Polaroid TV are you using????
          Last edited by stretch0069; 07-31-2006, 06:16 PM.
          "Its all about the boom....."

Guns kill people like spoons made Rosie O'Donnell fat.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled drinking.

"Fear accompanies the possibility of death.....calm shepherds its certainty"

Originally posted by Topcat
          AWD is just training wheels for RWD.

Comment

Working...
          X