Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Infinity PS-10 Subwoofer Disassembly

Hi,

I hope I am in the correct forum as I am new to BADCAPS.NET. I have an Infinity PS-10 Subwoofer and I am trying to figure out how the separate the amp section from the plastic box it sits in. I removed all the screws around the plate and was able to pull out the Amp box. It is enclosed in a black plastic box and I am not sure if I need to remove any other screws for example, the four around the left and right + and - inputs, or the screw near the power cord, etc. I have a copy of the repair manual, but the blow up does not show the amp box assembly other than then whole box. I want to go in and check the capacitors, resistors, etc. I hope some can help me out.

Thanks in advance,

Joel

Re: Infinity PS-10 Subwoofer Disassembly

Show some pictures of this unit font and back and side to side
    9 PC LCD Monitor
    6 LCD Flat Screen TV
    30 Desk Top Switching Power Supply
    10 Battery Charger Switching Power Supply for Power Tool
    6 18v Lithium Battery Power Boards for Tool Battery Packs
    1 XBox 360 Switching Power Supply and M Board
    25 Servo Drives 220/460 3 Phase
    6 De-soldering Station Switching Power Supply 1 Power Supply
    1 Dell Mother Board
    15 Computer Power Supply
    1 HP Printer Supply & Control Board * lighting finished it *

These two repairs where found with a ESR meter...> Temp at 50*F then at 90*F the ESR reading more than 10%

1 Over Head Crane Current Sensing Board ( VFD Failure Five Years Later )
    2 Hem Saw Computer Stack Board

All of these had CAPs POOF
    All of the mosfet that are taken out by bad caps

Comment

Hi Sam,

I cannot see or click anywhere for the images you posted of the unit?

Thanks,

Joel

Comment

Post YOUR PICTURES so we can see what you are talking about

Comment

In the exploded view, the item marked 6 is the plastic box that has the amp, boards, caps, etc inside. I can remove the entire amp plate section but not sure how to separate if from inside the plastic enclosure? Thanks in advance for any help. Joel
          Attached Files
          Last edited by joelbronx; 11-12-2018, 09:07 PM. Reason: Added a screen shot of the exploded view

Comment

It looks like there are two screws to remove and the cover should come off
            Attached Files
            Last edited by R_J; 11-12-2018, 09:48 PM.

Comment

As shown in the image, there are 10 screws that once remove allow you to pull out the entire amp section. With that said, it is encased in the plastic box. It is that box that I cannot figure out how to remove to expose the electronics. Not sure what 2 screws you are referring to. Have you done this before or do you see which 2 screws from the image? The exploded view from the repair manual does not show them other than the 10 to remove to get the entire box out of the sub case itself. Thanks, Joel

Comment

Hi again RJ,

I did not see the thumbnail that was attached. I will try to remove the 2 other screws and see if that works. I will let you know and thanks for your image. I feel like an idiot not having seen that image. Thanks again!

Comment

Hi RJ,

That did the trick. Thanks so much for your outstanding help!! Now I can start taking measurements to ensure the unit is sound!

Joel

Comment

I've recently attempted a similar repair with a monitor audio silver subwoofer however couldn't repair the switch mode power supply and didn't know if it had taken out the class D amp with it nor was it documented any where to what B+/B- voltage it required so played with the idea of replacing both with a diy solution using some of the class D boards available after getting the input doard working with a separate +/-12vdc but didn't feel comfortable putting it the back of a sealed wooden subwoofer to build up heat again and using it in my living room so i finally decided to just remove all electronic's as i had already anyway and drill a hole in the back of the amp plate to put a speakon connection onto the back of it and use it with an external amplifier and it sound's better than it ever has to be honest as i now have proper control over the low pass filter and amplifier i want to use, but then i'm an avid music lover and into audio diy project's and into modifying stuff,

anyway on with your question....

please post pictures of the basic layout,

is it switch mode power supply (good look) or transformer based power supply (easier to work with in my experience) you could started looking for bulged cap's and blown component's however you need to try searching for a better service manual however these was made to just change the hole amp plate but you could start checking for voltages, there should be a B+ and B- voltages in respect to a 0v to power the amplifier like 35-0-35vdc and probably another regulated supply 15-0-15vdc so look for a pair of regulators, probably L7815 & L7915

with out any more information or pictures of the circuit's and layout inside it's near impossible for me to help sorry

Comment

Originally posted by Paulflan View Post
                      I've recently attempted a similar repair with a monitor audio silver subwoofer however couldn't repair the switch mode power supply and didn't know if it had taken out the class D amp with it nor was it documented any where to what B+/B- voltage it required so played with the idea of replacing both with a diy solution using some of the class D boards available after getting the input doard working with a separate +/-12vdc but didn't feel comfortable putting it the back of a sealed wooden subwoofer to build up heat again and using it in my living room so i finally decided to just remove all electronic's as i had already anyway and drill a hole in the back of the amp plate to put a speakon connection onto the back of it and use it with an external amplifier and it sound's better than it ever has to be honest as i now have proper control over the low pass filter and amplifier i want to use, but then i'm an avid music lover and into audio diy project's and into modifying stuff,

anyway on with your question....

please post pictures of the basic layout,

is it switch mode power supply (good look) or transformer based power supply (easier to work with in my experience) you could started looking for bulged cap's and blown component's however you need to try searching for a better service manual however these was made to just change the hole amp plate but you could start checking for voltages, there should be a B+ and B- voltages in respect to a 0v to power the amplifier like 35-0-35vdc and probably another regulated supply 15-0-15vdc so look for a pair of regulators, probably L7815 & L7915

with out any more information or pictures of the circuit's and layout inside it's near impossible for me to help sorry
                      Service manual: https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showpo...61&postcount=1
                      Never stop learning
                      Basic LCD TV and Monitor troubleshooting guides.
                      http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...956#post305956

Voltage Regulator (LDO) testing:
                      http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...999#post300999

Inverter testing using old CFL:
                      http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...er+testing+cfl

Tear down pictures : Hit the ">" Show Albums and stories" on the left side
                      http://s807.photobucket.com/user/budm/library/

TV Factory reset codes listing:
                      http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=24809

Comment

Paul Flan/Bud M,

My question was answered by RJ when he sent the image of the 2 more screws I needed to remove to get the AMP section out of the plastic box. The Sub seems to be working fine, but I wanted to see if there were any obvious issues as when reading about the PS10, it has all kinds of web hits regarding problems mostly related to poor ventilation and design on Infinity's part. The board has that "smell", but nothing visible such as blown caps, burnt resistors, ICs or transistors. Thanks for the help. This forum is awesome!!

Comment

Hi, I've just been suggested this thread after writing about a fairly similar sub in terms of operation (a JAMO SUB 260) and I'm most curious about that "auto-start" feature and how it works. The JAMP uses a SMPS as opposed to a transformer and the fuse was blown on the back, though I couldn't find any shorts in any of the major components. Haven't tried power it again because the fault might not become apparent until I get it to switch on, which may not happen due to a fault in that sensing circuit...not sure. So I'll stick around for the discussion
                          Wattevah...

Comment

Working...
                          X