Toshiba 32AV500U: TCON failure?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Toshiba 32AV500U: TCON failure?

So I go to use my main computer this morning and my primary monitor (Toshiba 32AV500U) decides to not display a picture. There's a backlight, didn't know about sound (sound is not routed to this monitor), but no picture. No menus of any kind. It is 100% responsive to remote commands. A quick Google search points fingers at the TCON. How do I test the TCON to prove that it's bad?
    Don't buy those $10 PSU "specials". They fail, and they have taken whole computers with them.

My computer doubles as a space heater.

Permanently Retired Systems:
    RIP Advantech UNO-3072LA (2008-2021) - Decommissioned and taken out of service permanently due to lack of software support for it. Not very likely to ever be recommissioned again.
    Asus Q550LF (Old main laptop, 2014-2022) - Decommissioned and stripped due to a myriad of problems, the main battery bloating being the final nail in the coffin.

Kooky and Kool Systems
    - 1996 Power Macintosh 7200/120 + PC Compatibility Card - Under Restoration
    - 1993 Gateway 2000 80486DX/50 - Fully Operational/WIP
    - 2004 Athlon 64 Retro Gaming System - Indefinitely Parked
    - Main Workstation - Fully operational!

sigpic

Re: Toshiba 32AV500U: TCON failure?

i would check t con fuse and check it has correct voltages to make it work .

Comment

Looks like the t-con should be supplied 12 volts, there is a fuse marked F1 (24V/1.6A) next to the lvds cable.

Comment

Yeppers, TCON fuse is blown. So I guess that signifies a bad TCON?
        Don't buy those $10 PSU "specials". They fail, and they have taken whole computers with them.

RIP Advantech UNO-3072LA (2008-2021) - Decommissioned and taken out of service permanently due to lack of software support for it. Not very likely to ever be recommissioned again.
        Asus Q550LF (Old main laptop, 2014-2022) - Decommissioned and stripped due to a myriad of problems, the main battery bloating being the final nail in the coffin.

Kooky and Kool Systems

sigpic

Comment

looking that way yes .

Comment

UPDATE 11/12/2018 20:11 CST
            TCON board ordered. Will update Saturday when it's installed.

Kooky and Kool Systems

sigpic

Comment

Check the resistance on the t-con side and see if there is a short, if there is none, try replacing the fuse, you can just wire in a 1.5 amp fuse and see if it works, Sometimes the fuse just gives out without the t-con being bad
              If the fuse blows, disconnect the ribbons between the t-con and panel and try again to be sure the panel is'nt the problem.
              Last edited by R_J; 11-12-2018, 08:18 PM.

Comment

UPDATE 11/15/2018 17:45 CST
                Replacement TCON board installed and working.

Kooky and Kool Systems

sigpic

Comment

I have a sony 50" that had a blown t-con fuse, all I did was replace the fuse and it's still working fine, so the t-con may still be good, maybe keep it for a spare.

Comment

I've had similar happen before. Had 3 fuses go in a stereo receiver for no apparent reason. I'm guessing old age.

Kooky and Kool Systems

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                    X