Failed R400H hot tub control board

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Failed R400H hot tub control board

I recently went out to check on my hot tub (DreamMaker Eclipse) and found that it was not working. The topside controls were functioning but the pump would not come on. I noticed that I didn't hear any of the relays click when I pressed the buttons. I proceeded to take the control box (Consumer Engineering Inc R400H / LBR400H) out and noticed that it smelled like magic smoke. Once I got it apart it became fairly clear what the issue was. The first relay appeared to switch power on to the other three that controlled pump high/low and heating element. The trace feeding power into this first relay had burned away. I suppose a bad solder joint had deteriorated over time and eventually arced & sparked and finally went open.

After doing some internet research I decided to replace the relay that had the burned pin (AZ2150-1A-15DEF) as well as the the other three (AZ762-1A-12DE). To top it off, there was also a bulged capacitor, TCI brand, 2200uf 35V that needed attention.

I was able to find the exact replacements for the relays and the appropriate Panasonic NHG series cap at onlinecomponents.com.

To help bridge the gap around the burned trace on the main relay, I used a small piece of 14ga copper wire and lots of solder. The tub is now up and running again and hopefully this reconditioned board will work for years to come.
    Attached Files

Re: Failed R400H hot tub control board

Good repair job, bluto!
    Even though the original electrolytic capacitor was exposed to low frequency ripple, such units can still fail (although not as often when exposed to high frequency ripple).
    My first choice in quality Japanese electrolytics is Nippon Chemi-Con, which has been in business since 1931... the quality of electronics is dependent on the quality of the electrolytics.

Comment

whhhy would a hot tub controller have two RJ11 and one RJ45 connectors?
      Cap Datasheet Depot: http://www.paullinebarger.net/DS/
      ^If you have datasheets not listed PM me

Comment

The 8P8C is for the top side control panel.
        The others are for the temp and flow sensors.

Not to be pedantic but RJ-xx means 'Registered Jack' aka 'Connected to phone company equipment' aka standardized ordering codes when you want a jack installed.

8P8C is the connector name when not hooked to phone company equipment

No Ethernet to send out tweets on this tub.

Speaking of which, does anyone remember the hamjudo.com guy that had his hot tub temp displayed on the internet via a cgi script circa 1994?

Maybe I need to do that.

Comment

Working...
        X