Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Radeon HD5770 short circuit?

Hello,
    I have on my hands possible short-circuited card.
    It has no video output and system doesn't detect it, but gpu gets hot and therefore I think it's not completely dead... YET
    What I should check first and how?
    I have very little experience in components testing(only capacitor re-soldering)
    Please help!
    Sorry for bad image quality
    Attached Files

Re: Radeon HD5770 short circuit?

Can I test(with DMM) these power mofsets(4906MG) while they're on the card?
    There should be inf. resistance between source and drain right? Or am I doing smth. wrong?

Comment

There won't be infinite resistance between source and gate on the low side mosfets. More likely 10-20 ohms, because there are dozens of parts connected there.

If you say the GPU gets hot but no video, i doubt it is a short circuit. Either the video BIOS is damaged or (more likely) some of the solder balls under the GPU have cracked and it requires reflow or better, reballing to work once again.
      Originally posted by PeteS in CA
      Remember that by the time consequences of a short-sighted decision are experienced, the idiot who made the bad decision may have already been promoted or moved on to a better job at another company.
      A working TV? How boring!

Comment

There were no problems before aftermarket cooling solution was installed, so I guessed there were some touching involved between cooler mounts and vga

Comment

is the part labelled with yageo r47 near the pcie power connector supposed to be at an angle like that?

Comment

The cap under it also looks to be at a strange angle.. check to see if its supposed to be like that or not... looking at the back of the board where the cap is located will help u

Comment

Working...
            X