Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: ECS K7VZA - strange behaviour after recap

Originally posted by Dan81 View Post
    Another freebie from the strange package I've explained in the best cheap/free scores thread.

This one came to me with all the VRM G-Luxons bulging. Literally EVERYTHING around that place (aside from a small 1000uF 6.3v G-Luxon which wasn't bulged at all, but close to the caps that bulged ) was bulging. Other caps that were away from the VRMs were fine and not bulging or out of spec. Before recapping, the board would simply not POST or beep regardless if RAM or GPU was present, meaning it wouldn't detect the CPU at all.

I recapped the board and got rid of every G-Luxon. VRM low and high got a mix of OST RLX (2007 datecode, barely used) and Rubycon MBZ 3300uF 6.3v caps. (I used what I had available.) I used known good caps, to eliminate any possibility of using a dud cap. Most of the RAM caps are MBZ, with the AGP slot and PCI slots below having OST RLX.

Anyways the symptoms are these:

-will not POST with RAM installed - no beeps at all. Not even the missing GPU beep.
    -will beep if there is no RAM installed - I get the continuous beeps signaling no RAM present in slots

I've used every known good (meaning one that POSTs with all my other boards I own) PSU I've had in the house. Same symptoms.

Anything I could possibly try? I'd guess it hangs somewhere on the C1 POST code ( I have no possibility to find a POST card here, so don't ask.) or after that.

I should mention I've also tried about 5-6 different SD-RAM sticks of various speeds (PC100 and 133.) with no result.
    I would bet a bag of peanuts that all that motherboard needed was BIOS flash using a chip programmer. C1 error usually means a corrupt BIOS.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparkey55 View Post
      I would bet a bag of peanuts that all that motherboard needed was BIOS flash using a chip programmer. C1 error usually means a corrupt BIOS.
      Reflashed that board with a older EPoX EP-7KXA and nothing.

How do you come to the conclusion that every C1 error equals corrupt BIOS?
      For instance I have a ABIT IP35 Pro that will stop at C1 with a 512MB stick but complete POST successfully with a Corsair XMS 2GB stick.

momaka - half of the stock of my GPUs are FX5200/5500
      I also have a 9250, a 9550, two MX 440 64MB, a GF2 MX400 and the rest is just way old stuff, like a Rage 128, a Rage IIC and a Avance Logic ALS4000 that needs a RAM chip.

RJARRRPCGP - I'm not OCing.
      Main rig:
      Gigabyte B75M-D3H
      Core i5-3470 3.60GHz
      Gigabyte Geforce GTX650 1GB GDDR5
      16GB DDR3-1600
      Samsung SH-224AB DVD-RW
      FSP Bluestorm II 500W (recapped)
      120GB ADATA + 2x Seagate Barracuda ES.2 ST31000340NS 1TB
      Delux MG760 case

Comment

Reflashed that board with a older EPoX EP-7KXA and nothing.

How do you come to the conclusion that every C1 error equals corrupt BIOS?
        For instance I have a ABIT IP35 Pro that will stop at C1 with a 512MB stick but complete POST successfully with a Corsair XMS 2GB stick.

I also have a 9250, a 9550, two MX 440 64MB, a GF2 MX400 and the rest is just way old stuff, like a Rage 128, a Rage IIC and a Avance Logic ALS4000 that needs a RAM chip.

RJARRRPCGP - I'm not OCing.
        I did not say that EVERY C1 error equaled corrupt BIOS, YOU came to that conclusion all by yourself. You have a habit of ASSUMING your own conclusions without first reading what others say.

Comment

Ok, but if you do get newer video cards, those components could come in handy, given how you like to hunt for older PC stuff like I do.

Comment

Working...
          X