Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

VA912b turns on then goes black (green light still solid green)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

VA912b turns on then goes black (green light still solid green)

I have a VA912b. I had it for about 2 years.

My problem:

This morning I came to my computer to check up on my E-mail. The light was orange (sleep) so I moved my mouse. The monitor turned on (green light) then I could see my screen perfectly for about 1 second then it went black. I was confused so I moved my mouse some more but it didn't work.

I turned it off and on about 3 times and then it stayed on until about a few hours later. It happed again so I repeatedly pressed the "2" button (honestly, I don't know what this button does, maybe it changes the monitor to a diffrent channel?) next tot he power. It fixed faster than the first time.

However, the problem happed AGAIN about 1 1/2 hr after that. However this time, It would not stay on. I called Viewsonic and their crummy support person said "honestly I have no idea what I am doing, I just ask if people want to send their monitors in and fix'd for a price". I just hung up and resorted to my huge CRT that takes up 75% of my work space.

RECAP:

When the monitor is turned on, I can see picture perfectly for about 1 second then it goes black, like it engaged sleep mode. However, the light isn't orange. It is still green as if it is still working. I am confused.

Any help would be appreciated.

-Llama

Re: VA912b turns on then goes black (green light still solid green)

I think this is a typical 'two seconds to black' problem. The inverter (which powers the backlights) turns them on, then a few seconds later decides a fault condition exists and turns them back off. The cause could be one or more bad backlights, a bad inverter, or even a bad power supply.

The repair will require disassembling the monitor to reach the electronics inside. This can be only slightly more difficult than gassing up a car on some monitors, on others a team of engineers from heck toiled for weeks to design latches that would baffle Houdini. Once the monitor is open look for bulging caps.

Once the problem is identified some soldering will be required. If the problem is bad caps in the power supply, expect replacements to cost $5.00 - $10.00. CCFLs (backlights) are more expensive ($5-$10 each) and require extensive disassembly. Are you capable of handling the repairs yourself?

I will warn you that the rush of successfully repairing a monitor is very powerful. Mature adults have been known to high-five everyone in sight.

PlainBill
    For a number of reasons, both health and personal, I will no longer be active on this board. Any PMs asking for assistance will be ignored.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

Comment

Originally posted by PlainBill
      I think this is a typical 'two seconds to black' problem. The inverter (which powers the backlights) turns them on, then a few seconds later decides a fault condition exists and turns them back off. The cause could be one or more bad backlights, a bad inverter, or even a bad power supply.

The repair will require disassembling the monitor to reach the electronics inside. This can be only slightly more difficult than gassing up a car on some monitors, on others a team of engineers from heck toiled for weeks to design latches that would baffle Houdini. Once the monitor is open look for bulging caps.

Once the problem is identified some soldering will be required. If the problem is bad caps in the power supply, expect replacements to cost $5.00 - $10.00. CCFLs (backlights) are more expensive ($5-$10 each) and require extensive disassembly. Are you capable of handling the repairs yourself?

I will warn you that the rush of successfully repairing a monitor is very powerful. Mature adults have been known to high-five everyone in sight.

PlainBill
      HAHA that last line made me spit my water out.

I will look into the monitor. But once identified, do I cut out the bulges or whatnot?

-Llama

Comment

viewsonic VA912b tip
        Flashing green light. No picture
        three bulging caps were 470uf 25v reading between 3 and 7 ohms esr. The big 100uf 400v cap had a slight bulge but was open all replaced

Comment

Originally posted by angryllama
          HAHA that last line made me spit my water out.

I will look into the monitor. But once identified, do I cut out the bulges or whatnot?

-Llama
          Bulging caps are always defective, non-bulging caps may be defective. Certain brands of caps are notorious for failing. Given the low cost of high quality replacements I always replace all of them if there is any reason to suspect any. This does require using a soldering iron.

PlainBill
          For a number of reasons, both health and personal, I will no longer be active on this board. Any PMs asking for assistance will be ignored.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

Comment

Working...
          X