Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Replacing caps on a Dell SC440 mobo

Hello,

I have a Dell SC440 PowerEdge server and 3 capacitors blew on it. There is a fourth one with the same markings that hasn't blown yet but I might as well replace it too.

They are 8x20mm, the markings on them are 6.3V, 1800uF, KZJ. From the datasheet, their ripple current is 2350 mA.
    Datasheet:

I don't know much about capacitors but I wasn't able to find the exact same ones. The difficulty seems to be in the 8x20mm size.

I read I can also use 10V or 16V caps, as long as the 1800uF stays the same. I also read that 2200uF could be ok but I'm hesitant to change that value.

What do more experienced forum users recommend? I'd also like to buy them from Canada or at least NA so it doesn't take 45 days to receive fake caps from China. Any store recommendations?

Thanks,

Re: Replacing caps on a Dell SC440 mobo

nichicon hn or hz are available from the store of this website in the voltage, capacity, dimension etc. that u require. kzj is listed as a bad cap. so replace all 4 of em even if the fourth one isnt bad.

btw, u cant get 1800uF+ caps in 10v or 16v with a diameter of 8mm. they are all 10mm.
    Last edited by ChaosLegionnaire; 04-13-2016, 11:03 AM.

Comment

Thanks.

The other caps (different uF values and voltage) are not blown yet but they are also KZJ and KZG branded. Do you think it's worth replacing them preemptively?

Shipping from the store is 10$ so I might as well order as many caps as I might need in the future to save on shipping.

Comment

errr what?! how many kzj and kzg caps are on there? i hope it aint a boardful of kzgs and kzjs! cuz that is just tiring work recapping all the 25+ caps on the board! kzjs and kzgs are replace on sight even if they arent bad.

however, the store doesnt have caps with the right capacitance and dimensions for normal filtering around the mobo. they usually use 820-1000uF caps no larger than 8x13mm for lan/usb/dimm/pci filtering. any fatter it may not fit between the slots or adjacent components; any higher it will interfere with the insertion of expansion cards into the mobo.

EDIT: another thing: make sure u remember to remove the cmos battery before recapping the board!
        Last edited by ChaosLegionnaire; 04-13-2016, 05:19 PM.

Comment

There are quite a few, most caps on the board are KZG and KZJs. I ended up buying only the busted ones for now because there are so many to replace. If more get busted, then I'll order the whole set for every KZG/KZJ cap on the board.

What's the worst than can happen anyway, the caps bust and the server stops working until I replace the caps, correct? Or can it damage the machine too?

Thanks for the battery tip, I didn't know.

Comment

worst case scenario is prolly the reddish kzg/kzj cap goo spilling out over the board and shorting something out. to mitigate this, make sure u use a branded psu with working short circuit protection that trips the power when this happens!

best case scenario, the caps go bad and cause strange inexplicable glitches with the server because they are in non-critical locations.

btw, because its an oem machine (dell), u might wanna check the psu for bloated caps too. oems may sometimes use junk caps even in server grade psus! the caps in the psu go bad and this in turn kills the caps on the mobo.

Comment

Working...
            X