Matching VRM MOSFETS on a motherboard

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Matching VRM MOSFETS on a motherboard

I have in my posession a Foxconn G45A01 out of a Dell tower...

I've already filled in the empty polymer capacitor positions with exact equivalents (Save the batch number obviously), and have replaced almost all the off brand electrolytics.

Above the CPU socket, there is a row of three encapsulated coils and three TO-252 MOSFETs. (There is also a row of three MOSFETs directly above, but ignore them for the sake of this post, they're a slightly different model - AOD452 - and not relevant).

Now as you can clearly see, directly above each of the three TO-252 MOSFETs (Their model is AOD472) is an accompanying pad which is obviously bare. I'm assuming the pad is connected electrically in parallel with their assumed counterpart because there is a clear trace connecting both gate pads.

Now, these particular FETs are no weaklings, they're pretty highly rated and I could probably get by just fine leaving things the way they are, but I wanted to populate them since I was filling empty capacitor spots anyway and thought I'd see if I could source some AOD472. Lo and behold, this part isn't listed on A&O's website nor is it shown to be stocked anywhere (Though it is listed on Digikey, but the datasheet provided curiously shows it as a DPAK part eventhough it is clearly a TO-252 part).

So I naturally bought some of them from Aliexpress, but eventhough I am principally opposed to buying semiconductors from China, I assumed that since this part was so obscure, the Chinese wouldn't go to the lengths to counterfeit it. I even bought from a seller who showed an evidently used part for the item picture (Used is a lot better than fake). Unfortunately they sent me obvious fakes.

So I have several questions:

1) Why doesn't A&O have this listed?
    2) Was this subcontracted out? If so, how can I find out who actually made it?
    3) If I can't find an exact equivalent, should I try to match it as closely as possible with an equivalently spec'd part or would the slight variations negate any benefit of adding them in the first place?
    "We have offered them (the Arabs) a sensible way for so many years. But no, they wanted to fight. Fine! We gave them technology, the latest, the kind even Vietnam didn't have. They had double superiority in tanks and aircraft, triple in artillery, and in air defense and anti-tank weapons they had absolute supremacy. And what? Once again they were beaten. Once again they scrammed [sic]. Once again they screamed for us to come save them. Sadat woke me up in the middle of the night twice over the phone, 'Save me!' He demanded to send Soviet troops, and immediately! No! We are not going to fight for them."

-Leonid Brezhnev (On the Yom Kippur War)

Re: Matching VRM MOSFETS on a motherboard

Even though Alpha & Omega doesn't list the part, they do have a data sheet online: http://aosmd.com/pdfs/datasheet/AOI472A.pdf
    Perhaps a special order part for Foxconn?

I see that there are some listed on ebay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/251242738068
    Machina improba! Vel mihi ede potum vel mihi redde nummos meos!

Comment

The 472A differs from the 472 handling only a maximum of 46A @ 30v as opposed to 55A.
      "We have offered them (the Arabs) a sensible way for so many years. But no, they wanted to fight. Fine! We gave them technology, the latest, the kind even Vietnam didn't have. They had double superiority in tanks and aircraft, triple in artillery, and in air defense and anti-tank weapons they had absolute supremacy. And what? Once again they were beaten. Once again they scrammed [sic]. Once again they screamed for us to come save them. Sadat woke me up in the middle of the night twice over the phone, 'Save me!' He demanded to send Soviet troops, and immediately! No! We are not going to fight for them."

Comment

Alpha & Omega AOD472 are common on Dell boards. I have so many I don't even collect them any more unless it's an easy solder board.
        sig files are for morons

Comment

Interested in selling a few to me?

Comment

I wouldn't bother unless those MOSFETs run extremely hot or you just want to do it as an experiment.

Comment

Working...
            X