How to Share Internet with Equal Bandwidth
    Means : If 1 MBPS 2 PC's 512kb per each pc
    Resources i Have
    1. ADSL Router
    2. Internet Connection with 1 MBPS
    3. 8 PC's
    4. 16 port Hub/Switch

Re: sharing internet with equal bandwidth

You would need to get a managed switch so you can cap each ports speed.

Comment

The cheapest solution would probably be to find an old 486/pentium 2/pentium 3/duron (you get the idea) with 2 network cards and make it a gateway server.

For 1 mbps bandwidth, you don't need much processing power to route data packets and do traffic shaping.
      This would probably be a good start (documentation) into making a linux router: http://lartc.org/lartc.html
      http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/ADSL-Bandw...mentation.html

On Windows, there are ready made software solutions, but off the top of my head I couldn't tell you one that would work 100% with what you want.

Comment

Build a Linux box.
        Use it as the router
        Install Squid.
        $profit.
        36 Monitors, 3 TVs, 4 Laptops, 1 motherboard, 1 Printer, 1 iMac, 2 hard drive docks and one IP Phone repaired so far....

Comment

I have an old Pentium 4 2.26GHz (S478, no HT) with 768MB DDR333 that runs ClearOS, and I use it for this. Routing the internet, that ancient P4 never sees higher than 8% usage, it's very efficient.

Comment

Originally posted by mariushm View Post
            The cheapest solution would probably be to find an old 486/pentium 2/pentium 3/duron (you get the idea) with 2 network cards and make it a gateway server.

For 1 mbps bandwidth, you don't need much processing power to route data packets and do traffic shaping.
            This would probably be a good start (documentation) into making a linux router: http://lartc.org/lartc.html
            http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/ADSL-Bandw...mentation.html

On Windows, there are ready made software solutions, but off the top of my head I couldn't tell you one that would work 100% with what you want.
            Sorry I have to disagree. The managed switch is the cheapest way to do what he wants. Buy something like http://www.ebay.com/itm/HP-J4813A-Pr...item565743242a

For less than $20 and will be much more usefull than another PC and easier on the elec bill.

Comment

Originally posted by brethin View Post
              Sorry I have to disagree. The managed switch is the cheapest way to do what he wants. Buy something like http://www.ebay.com/itm/HP-J4813A-Pr...item565743242a
              i have heard procurve are really good hardware.
              capacitor lab yachtmati techmati

Comment

I'm not sure that he can control the bandwidth speed of a particular IP using a switch.
                He may be able to configure a port in a particular VLAN and give that VLAN some bandwidth limits but I'm not sure about per IP/Mac rules.

Power wise, it's about 36w for a HP switch like the one above, versus about 50-80w for a p3-p4 ... i actually tested a p4 2.4 ghz today with a hdd and 2 memory sticks and idled at 70 watts. He can lower the voltage and downclock the cpu and get it at around 30-50w, so not much more expensive.

Comment

a cheap router with dd-wrt can easily do it.

Comment

Better yet, a low cost used Ubiquiti Pico/Nano Station running the far superior OpenWRT, or any decently modern router on their supported routers table of hardware. There's an OpenWRT based firmware called Gargoyle that has EXCELLENT QOS features in it and is easy to configure. The QOS will do exactly this.

Sadly, the venerable WRT54GL/gs/g(v1-4) and variants just aren't up to the task of running the latest "attitude adjustment" builds that Gargoyle is built on. For one, it's just too old a platform, as sadly its ship has sailed and its time has come. It does however run the latest vanilla "backfire" brcm-2.4 build just dandy. But you'd have to use Rudy's QOS Script package, which works quite well also, but it isn't as easy to configure as Gargoyle's GUI driven QOS config pages.
                    Any one would be fine though.

Note: The WRT54gs units that shipped with 32M mem may be able to handle the newer kernel, especially if you O'c the CPU. But then you'd still have the issue of stability problems with the newer open source brcm47xx+b43 Wifi driver crashing and the like. Which they're working on patching and the devs do have some patches in trunk that will make it to buildroot soon, if not by now. Ie. The latest stable build. The legacy brcm-2.4+brcm42xx platform's proprietary Broadcom driver doesn't have this issue. It's rock solid in stability and speed.

BTW, no one has yet to ask what router you do have. If you can provide its model and HW: rev. if applicable, one of us can tell you if it's compatible with one of the open source firmwares. Some DSL modems have QOS, but it isn't usually worth a lick. In fact most DSL modems are better off operating in half bridged mode with a "real" router behind it handling the PPPoE/PPPoA and routing duties.
                    Last edited by y_not; 06-19-2013, 12:03 AM.
                    How to properly apply thermal grease - Y_not's way.

Comment

My Linksys Cisco RV042 has bandwidth control built in. Unfortunately I see a problem. 1Mbps is enough to watch 1 youtube video. 512Mbps is enough to watch none youtube video. Split it up and you both have nothing.
                      sig files are for morons

Comment

Working...
                      X