Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Acer 1916w monitor

Originally posted by alexanna View Post
    I am unsure,The reasion I ask is that I fought this dac-19m005 for a long time,blowing fuses ect and over time working on it c112 became dammaged
    Some one told me if you use to high capacitence cap,You might notice hum or buzzing.
    as I said it was just a blind shot
    Al.
    I assume you are talking about c112?

Also what the heck does ESR mean? I have read the info regarding caps on here and other places, but still have no clue.

I'm out for now, but thanks for the help!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Dark Angel View Post
      Also what the heck does ESR mean?
      Equivalent Series Resistance. Basically the resistance ohms of the cap. For some applications like a SMPS, low ESR are preferable/required for proper operation.
      --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

My simple understanding is that you want low ESR so that you do not create odd resistance or loads in the circuit that aren't supposed to be there.
        If you add resistance the voltage will drop, this may cause other parts of the circuit to try and compensate.

Comment

Does anyone know what the value of F102 is when it is working properly? It is right next to the resistor that is circled in red with the black covering over it.

Also does anyone know if that would cause the humming/buzzing issue that I have?

Thanks again for the help

Comment

Well I'm at a loss for what to do now, as I have replaced the caps, Bridge rectifier and the 2 mosfets. I would love to keep the monitor, just not sure that changing the mosfets again would make a difference.

Don't have the money to get a new power board for it. So any futher suggestions as to what to do or try?

I believe the mofests I used were fine for the replacements, but not 100% sure on that.

So unless someone has something more for me, then it may be off to the land fill.

[OFF TOPIC] I did manage to fix 2 other LCD monitor's by simply replacing the caps on them. Samsung SyncMaster 225BW which is now my main display and a Viewsonic VX922. I got the caps for both monitors from the same place I got them for the dead power board and they are working fine.

Again though I would love to have the Acer one working, so I can set that up for dual display.

Thanks for all the help from everyone so far.

Comment

So unless someone has something more for me, then it may be off to the land fill.
              May I suggest you post it on your local kijiji or craigslist. Someone else might be able to use your parts.
              --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Anyone know if the NTE 2389 will work for replacement mosfets?

Comment

[UPDATE]

Well I tried the NTE2389 mosfets and the screen light's up for about 2 or 3 second's(Very dim) and then goes to black, so I am thinking that the Mosfets are not the appropriate ones to light the display properly.

Could someone confirm this please.

Thank You!!! Almost there

Comment

Well I tried the NTE2389 mosfets and the screen light's up for about 2 or 3 second's(Very dim) and then goes to black,
                    1) Did you find that original mosfets that came with the monitor were bad?

2) Do you have a spare CCFL or another monitor? If yes, see if one or more off the CCFL are bad by doing step #5 at

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showth...uide+2+seconds
                    --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Haven't tried that just yet, so we will see.

Can you or someone else verify if the Mosfests are good replacement ones or not?

Thanks again!!!

Comment

Well the CCFL's are not bad, so I think the mosfets are just not good suitible one's to use.

No one has confirmed though if the IRF510 replacements would/could work so I have no clue about that.

So if anyone could please let me know if those could/would work please let me know.

Comment

Hi have the same monitor that had shut down problem but dont have the mofsets on mine but replaced all caps cured the shutdown but have the same high pitched squealing noise from the same area
                          Its fine when it displays video but starts when the monitor goes to sleep
                          but gradually increases in pitch when you turn the power off
                          Thought at first it was the main cap (Had that on an NEC) but changing that did not cure it
                          So obviously this is a problem that may be common on these as the acer 1717 uses the same board layout and i have heard the same sound coming from one of those too
                          Not much help i know but maybe food for thought am going to pull the resistor see the value and change it too see if that cures it

Comment

Hi after last post i linked up monitor to main computer to retest to find bottom set of ccfls flicker in the corner then it shut down
                            am going to change ccfl with another set i have will let you know if when changed the high pitch noise go's or is still there arcing tubes may be causing this ???

Comment

Please keep me posted on anything you find out. I have for the time being put this on hold.

Had a whole heap of other stuff to deal with. Will look into this further when I can and post myself as well.

Comment

Well changed the CCFLs changed the resistor and the fast diode beside it monitor gos on and off as it should but still with this high pitch noise
                                Disconnected the lamps and still the noise is present have now narrowed it down the the CCFL transformer
                                I have desoldered cleaned and resoldered but still the noise only thing left to try is to replace it and see if the noise is still there

Comment

Thanks for this forum. I was able to repair my Acer AL1916W monitor. The symptoms I was having were green power light on but no picture. I took a look at the pictures that were posted which helped a little, but the PSB that was in my Acer is different than the picture that was posted. There were two capacitors that were bad and I replaced them (the new ones are blue in color), but it still did not work. I troubleshooted for fuse F200 and that was the culprit. Apparently, when the two caps popped, it blew the F200 fuse. After repairing that, it works just fine. As long as you replace the caps with the same or higher voltage rating and temperature rating and match the capacitance, you should be fine. The ESR meter and DVM came in handy. The DVM showed OL or open on the caps. The ESR meter showed -- no reading when checking them. A few posts I read mentioned about the IC's. Mine doesn't have the IC's, but has -N- Channel mosfets. They turned out to be good. If you look at a diagram with the mosfet facing up to you. Pin 1 is the extreme left, pin 2 middle, and pin 3 extreme right. Pin 1 is the gate. Pin 2 is the drain. Pin 3 is the source. When you check the mosfets - depending on where you put your positive/red probe and your negative/black probe - it could show a short between drain and source of the mosfet, when in actuality it isn't shorted. You check with the positive probe at the gate and the negative on drain and source. (all this is with the power disconnected) Then, you check with the negative on the gate and the positive on the drain and source. Also, you check with the positive on the source and the negative on the drain after you touched the positive on the gate which switches the mosfet. If you do this, then it will look as if the mosfet is shorted out, but then switch the probes; when switched it may show that it is actually good. You can check them in circuit, but it is best out of circuit. Hope this helps.
                                  Attached Files
                                  Last edited by conjulio; 09-20-2010, 04:54 PM. Reason: To add pictures

Comment

Originally posted by conjulio View Post
                                    There were two capacitors that were bad and I replaced them (the new ones are blue in color), but it still did not work.
                                    Good job on fixing the monitor. One feedback point.

The blue cap looks like a Radio Shack cap. Radio Shack is unlikely to sell low ESR (ohm) caps. A list of recommended caps is at

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=2280
                                    --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Thanks for the input. They are actually from www.mouser.com

Comment

Originally posted by conjulio View Post
                                        Thanks for the input. They are actually from www.mouser.com
                                        What brand and series are they? I don't recognize them?
                                        --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Xicon. I don't remember the series, because I bought them a few years ago when I was building a capacitor kit.

Comment

Working...
                                          X