Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Substituting 680uf 25v with 1000uf 35v

Hello folks
    I am replacing caps on a Hp 19" monitor power supply It has 2 680uf 25v caps
    can I replace them with 1000uf 25v instead

Thanks

Re: Substituting 680uf 25v with 1000uf 35v

Title says 35v script says 25v - will they physically fit?
    Please upload pictures using attachment function when ask for help on the repair
    http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=39740

Comment

If they are good caps, probably okay. If you are subbing them with general purpose ones, then no.
      Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
      For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

I found 680uf 25v on digikey
        Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by tom66 View Post
          If they are good caps, probably okay. If you are subbing them with general purpose ones, then no.
          What do you mean by "general purpose" caps?

Comment

Originally posted by tieny View Post
            What do you mean by "general purpose" caps?
            Not suitable for power supply applications; not low ESR and ultra high reliability at high temperatures.
            Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
            For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

There are series and series of capacitors, some are more general purpose with lower life time and temperature and not so great technical specifications ... others are more suitable for power supplies due to their low impedance and high ripple specs.

You can have 1000 uF 25v capacitors rated for 2000 hours @ 85c with 500mA ripple and 0.4 ohm ESR/impedance.

It might be unsuitable if the capacitor you replace had 800mA ripple and 0.2 ohm esr/impedance. Also, considering monitors are usually hot in the back and there's not much air around to keep stuff cool, such capacitor with 85c rating would cook itself and die in a few weeks or months.

You'd want a capacitor that has 2-4000 hours @ 105c, as close as possible (ideally higher) ripple and less impedance/esr than the original capacitor.

Comment

Originally posted by 1supertech View Post
                Hello folks
                I am replacing caps on a Hp 19" monitor power supply It has 2 680uf 25v caps
                can I replace them with 1000uf 25v instead

Thanks
                hi

thats a starter cap dont put anything different

zia

Comment

Working...
                X