Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Iiyama Prolite E481S goes dark after 1 second, blue power LED steady on

Originally posted by Neon View Post
    It's back to life! The slightly cracked solder joint on L201 was the problem, I resoldered it (pic attached) and now the screen works fine again!

Thanks a lot alexanna for finding it and pointing it out to me! And thanks to all other helpers, too!
    Hi !
    I have IBM ThinkVision L170 and I had the same problem with cracked solder joint on L201 and the pins of inverter TRANSFORMERS. I resoldered it and the monitor is again come back to life.
    Many thanks, this is the best forum about LCDs !!!

Comment

Hi All,

I've used these details to resurrect 2 ProLite E481s monitors and I've had them with my 22" to get 3 monitors. As I do web development with debugging screens, web page display and source in another, they're great. One has developed a new fault though :-(

All was fine for about 5 months and one started to turn itself off. Blue light power button still on. Sometimes it was cycling, going on and off quickly with a crackle from the speakers. No input to the speakers though.

Turning if off for 15-30 minutes can sometimes clear it and I'll get another 10 minutes, or who knows, maybe an hour of use before going off again. Even keeping the back off so it doesn't get too hot.

All capacitors look fine still but the last time *I think* only changed those that were looking ill. I note in the thread there is mention of some of the transistors being changed too. Are these prone to being flaky as well?

Would it be worthwhile to change all the caps this time - I can guess you're going to say yes to that one, but wouldn't it not want to start at all if a cap had gone bad?

TIA for any help!

Michael W

Comment

can you swap the panels over or one lamp lead at a time - sounds like it is a bulb or wiring going out. Check your previous soldering?
        Please upload pictures using attachment function when ask for help on the repair
        http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=39740

Comment

Originally posted by selldoor View Post
          can you swap the panels over or one lamp lead at a time - sounds like it is a bulb or wiring going out. Check your previous soldering?
          Hi Selldoor, I'll give that a go and reply back. I did look over them again by I think I need to wet the joints a bit too.

Cheers,

Comment

Hi All,

Been around the houses with this having changed 9 of the caps and replaced two of the first replacements, just to be sure.

Now I'm getting an image flash on switch on with front panel button and the blue light is lit continuously but no display. I can see the image in the LCD with a torch at an angle, so the display is working, just not illumination.

Replaced the following

O/P Filter
            # 2 of 470 uF 16.0V 105 deg - done, replaced with Panasonic FC, C101 and C916
            # 2 of 1000 uF 16.0V 105 deg - done, replaced with Panasonic FC, C914, C915

Beside Inverter
            # 2 of 220 uF 16.0V 105 deg - done, replaced with Panasonic FC 16V 470uF, C201, C223

Primary
            # 1 of 22 uF 50.0V 105 deg - done, replaced with Panasonic FC 50V 33uF, C907
            # 1 of 33 uF 50.0V 105 deg - done, replaced with Panasonic FC 50V 33uF, C207
            # 2 of 1 uF 50.0V 105 deg - done, replaced with Panasonic NHG same value, C301, c302

So, anyone got any other clues? Should I replace that big mother close to the power socket, just to be sure? Or just get a replacement - I think I'm at that stage now...

Cheers,
            Last edited by mickeydblv; 02-14-2013, 09:30 AM. Reason: numbers wrong

Comment

After you change caps you should re test the voltages on the connector between the power supply and the main board. Meter on Vdc200
              black lead on ground screw test each pin and list results along with any legend ionformation off the boards.

See also post 7 and check the secondary windings on the inverter transformers.
              POWER OFF meter on ohms 2000
              Please upload pictures using attachment function when ask for help on the repair

Comment

Hi selldoor,

Thanks for the quick response! I checked with post #7 and can report that there is 1k resistance at each 8 & 9.

The power connector CN902 is on the right of the board with two rows of pins that rise from the power board, make an elbow to go horizontal then go into a ribbon cable to connect over to the display processor board.

The rows of pins are numbered thus with respective voltages. I'm a software engineer, but these don't look healthy:

2 | 12v # 1 | 4.5v
                4 | 12 # 3 | 4.0
                6 | 0 # 5 | 3.0
                8 | 4.5 # 7 | 0
                10 | 0 # 9 | 0
                12 | 4.5 # 11 | 0
                14 | 4.5 # 13 | 0
                16 | 0 # 15 | 0

What say you?

Thank you,

Michael.
                Last edited by mickeydblv; 02-14-2013, 02:01 PM. Reason: formatting...

Comment

Originally posted by mickeydblv View Post
                  Hi selldoor,

Thanks for the quick response! I checked with post #7 and can report that there is 1k resistance at each 8 & 9.
                  Exactly 1K ? need to be within 3% of each other so 990 -1020 would be
                  borderline 995- 1005 would be good

Comment

Well, as close to 1k as I could see on my little analogue meter. I'd zeroed before measuring and it looked spot on to me.

Comment

Did you ever try other (working) bulbs or the whole panel of the other set.
                      If you dont have spare bulbs how about Budms test bulb:
                      https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showth...ght=test+lamps.

Is there any clues on either of the boards as to what the volatages at the connector
                      are supposed to be.
                      Next step will be to test the voltage regulators - this tells how to locate test and post the results.
                      https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?p=261329

Comment

Hi selldoor,

I've not tried any other bulbs suggested in that test setup in the link. Am I right in thinking there are four in the display - or perhaps only two? All of them wouldn't have gone at the same time, surely...

I've not seen any details of what the voltages should be - no hints I can see on the board. I'll go through the tests in the regulators and post the results.

The other odd thing that's happened since I tested the voltages is that on power on, through the front switch, light goes blue, not display, but it no longer turns off at the front switch I have to turn it off with the switch at the back... just thought it might be diagnostically useful info.

Thanks for your continued input!

Michael.
                        Last edited by mickeydblv; 02-16-2013, 06:17 AM. Reason: Added bits

Comment

Perhaps it would help if you could post good clear pictures of the front and back of your two boards.
                          I think you will have 4 lamps and yes it is unlikely that they would all be bad. Problem is that usually if one (or the wiring for 1) is bad, then none will light as the protection system detects a fault and they all close down.
                          We know that they did flash - what you can try is try one bulb plugged in at a time and see if it flashes ( this test will only show up a bulb that does not light at all)
                          You can then try one bulb that flshes into each lamp socket ( that will show if any socket is not receiving enough power.
                          If you have spare lamps or make one of Budms test lamps then by substituting that for any dodgy bulb they should all stay on . ( but only leave on like that for 10 seconds or so.)
                          pictures of each board, front and back (in the same orientation) and close up of connectors, (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) using the manage attachments button, which is found by clicking "go advanced" under quick reply.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

Examples of what is needed

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/attach...7&d=1280167246

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/attach...6&d=1280167246

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/attach...4&d=1280167246

Comment

hi selldoor,

Please find images attached that I took outside to get all 'round lighting. Hopefully clear enough to be useful.

If other views might help, just ask. (the image poss_dadJoint.jpg - I can't recall the 15w iron touching that IC as I put in C201, but should those middle two leads be soldered together? The mirror one on the other side of the board isn't)

Cheers,

Michael.
                            Attached Files
                            Last edited by mickeydblv; 02-16-2013, 08:51 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by mickeydblv View Post
                              - I can't recall the 15w iron touching that IC as I put in C201, but should those middle two leads be soldered together? The mirror one on the other side of the board isn't)

=
                              That is ok - see- they are soldered to the same trace.

Did you resolder L101 ? (Top right corner)
                              L803 might need re flowing.

Bottom right reflow TP5 6 & 8
                              Perhaps the pin below where it says Q211

Suggest look over the whole board with a magnifying glass and
                              retouch anything that looks at all odd.

Comment

Hi,

Selldoor, I was thinking about your suggestion of the tubes and how to test them and I came up with a plan. I'd mentioned I'd got two of the same monitors and had replaced the caps and touched up L101 on both and got two working monitors. These were to be thrown away at work.

The monitor I've been having trouble with (call it M2) I decided to take the power supply from M1 (the good monitor) and put it into M2. M2 did not do anything on powering up and does not display anything. I concluded that M2 is fubar.

Ok, what about the power supply from M2? With all the mucking about I've done with it perhaps that's not working either. Aaaand.... M2 power board in M1 didn't work...

So with that swapping about I know M2 is beyond my skills to repair and is probably not worth the effort and time to see what's going on with it so in the skip it goes.

Now, there's usually some good monitors to be had on ebay...

Selldoor, thanks for all your help with this issue. I've learnt a lot and hope to be able to recover some monitors for myself or others in the future.

Cheers,

Michael.

Comment

Ok - Not sure about skipping it though - it may have parts you or someone else could use in the future. If you cant store it give it away on freecycle or
                                  sell it on ebay when they have a no fees offer.

Comment

As I sent that post, I realised I'd just put in a load of good transistors and caps into it so I'll not be skipping it.

I *hate* throwing out technology.

Comment

Just a big thanks for all the information on badcaps which I used to diagnose and fix my e481s. I was lucky, all the components were ok, just lots of very bad solder joints, especially the mains switch.

Al

Comment

Working...
                                      X