No announcement yet.

PS5 Disk Edition shutting down 5-30 seconds after boot, can't find any shorts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PS5 Disk Edition shutting down 5-30 seconds after boot, can't find any shorts

I have a PS5 that will turn off after anywhere from about 5 to 30 seconds after power-on. It will sometimes make it to Safe Mode, but won't last long there. The following are steps I have taken:

1 - Tested on multiple sources of 12v power including 2 separate bench power supplies. Doesn't fix the issue, which at least to my mind, rules out the power supply as the problem.

2 - Visual inspection of board. Absolutely no signs whatsoever of burns or failed components.

3- Checked for standby voltages. All seem normal.

4 - Added liquid metal and re-spread liquid metal. Made no difference.

5 - Watched about a dozen different youtube videos re: shorts. Spent hours searching for bad capacitors in all of the usual places, with no results. Also, in most cases I've researched, systems with a short shut down after just a couple seconds.

6 - Examined board with infrared thermometer while attempting to boot - no components become disproportionately hot.

At this point I'm about to drive myself crazy trying to fix this thing, and if anyone has any ideas for additional troubleshooting steps I would be thrilled and eternally grateful to hear them.

Re: PS5 Disk Edition shutting down 5-30 seconds after boot, can't find any shorts

Hey there,

I can imagine how frustrating this must be. You've done a pretty thorough job of troubleshooting so far, and it's baffling that the problem persists.

Since you've already tried most of the common solutions, I'd suggest a few other things you might want to consider:

Check the thermal pads on the memory chips. If they're not making proper contact, it can cause the system to shut down.

Check the SSD. If it's overheating or faulty, it can cause the system to turn off.

Test the power switch. It's a long shot, but if there's a fault in the power switch it might cause the system to turn off soon after turning on.

Remember, these are just possible solutions, and I can't guarantee that they'll work. But they might be worth checking out. Good luck and I hope you get your PS5 working soon!

Keep us updated

Comment

Working...
    X