SL-75FRN2-L mem errors after recapping

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SL-75FRN2-L mem errors after recapping

Question guys, I replaced the leaking capacitors in my soltek board, however everytime I run memtest86, it gives me 13 errors. I suspect the PSU at this point. That would really suck because I spent $90 for it. Any Ideas about what it could be? I'll check the caps again.

Soltek 75frn2-rl
    Barton 2500
    GEforce 4200Ti
    ENermax 550w
    1GB DDR RAM 400

Re: Leaking caps on SL-75FRN2-L

Originally posted by Alextek
    Question guys, I replaced the leaking capacitors in my soltek board, however everytime I run memtest86, it gives me 13 errors.
    Did you replace *ALL* of the caps on your board that are on the bad caps list, or just the ones that were obviously failed? Several manufacturers' caps fail without any outward signs. Everything 470uF and above should be replaced.

The fact that the board boots, loads the OS, and can run memtest says that the CPU/memory/video/sound aren't failed, but are probably being adversely affected by whatever is causing the memtest failures. Can you measure the system voltages on the board (preferably with a voltmeter, and include the corresponding BIOS-sensed values, if available, as well)?

Comment

Re: SL-75FRN2-L mem errors after recapping

i split the thread cos we are into new topic.

can you give more details about the recapping.

i would check also the memory in another comp and see how it is. i had one board with terrible crashing probs and leaky caps. after I replaced the caps still crashing. checked the memory in another comp and it was bad also. now either the customer was so unlucky to have both caps and mem going bad but there is also the rare possibility that running the board with badcaps for a long time damaged the memory?

<wow akor is so fast, i split the thread, prepare my post and still gets there first!>
      capacitor lab yachtmati techmati

Comment

I did noticed one thing, normally before when everything was ok, even if the CPU fan wasnt on (I have a SLK800 hS) , the PC would be stable for quite a bit of time. Now If the fan is not running it reboots like crazy. I also had to plug the cpu fan in an independent PSU line because for some reason, it wouldnt run at all if it shared the line with other components. I'll check the RAM when I get home.

Comment

if you only replace the bulging/leaking ones you are not done. you need to replace anything >470 uf
          other advice is right on.play swaptronics with another box to test componants.

Comment

I replaced all capacitors given in the kit, all but one I cant remember the uF, but it was the thickest cap of the pack. I'll replace it tomorrow. How likely is it that the PSU is also bad?
            Last edited by Alextek; 08-15-2005, 12:13 PM.

Comment

This might also sound like a stupid question but how long should i let memtest86 run? I let it go to 100% but after that it goes back to zero and runs some other tests

Comment

You were probably sent 3300uF 6.3V for the larger ones, 1000uF 6.3V for the smaller ones, Japanese brands such as Panasonic or Sanyo's...both kits I received contained those...
                Ya'll think us folk from the country's real funny-like, dontcha?

The opinions expressed above do not represent those of BADCAPS.NET or any of their affiliates.

Comment

to answer your question memtest or any other test should show zero problems. after 1 run or 200 etc

I replaced all capacitors given in the kit, all but one I cant remember the uF, but it was the thickest cap of the pack.
                  replace this cap and report back

Now If the fan is not running it reboots like crazy. I also had to plug the cpu fan in an independent PSU line because for some reason, it wouldnt run at all if it shared the line with other components.
                  yeh it would reboot like crazy without the fan. how much amp is this fan drawing to have probs running on the fan header? some mobo not post if the fan is not on the cpu fan header

check your psu also using multimeter

Comment

Ok I tested the RAM with another PC, no errors. I also tested the Soltek board with another PSU (brand new) and I got even more errors!!! Right now I'm changing two of the 1500uF which are in upper left of the socket. There are two more 1500uF by the left side of the socket, but I dont have any more parts. The cheapstakes at Soltek only include one 1500uF cap in their repair kit while the board has 4 of those. I'll test the board again tonite.
                    Last edited by Alextek; 08-16-2005, 10:43 AM.

Comment

i have seen soltek using mixed caps on the boards. some of them are good caps, like sanyo or panasonic the rest are crap.

what brand caps did you have original on the board?

Comment

The ones that i'm changing today are Sanyo

Comment

you shouldnt need to change sanyo, they will be fine

Comment

then why is the MB giving me errors while running memtest??

Comment

you maybe have left some crapcaps on the board? or else it might be proc. test proc in other mb and see how that works.
                              The great capacitor showdown!

Comment

I changed all the caps that the kit included. I hope its not the CPU.

Comment

what kind and quanitity of RAM?

I seem to vaguely recall an issue with running memtest on these Soltek boards, thought it was BIOS related but looks like you may get different memtest results depending on which slot the RAM is in.

http://forums.pcper.com/showthread.php?t=371675&page=4

Comment

Boy!! I realized that the video card was missing a small capacitor. I replaced it and got over 900 errors. I cleared the bios tried again same story. So then I lower the freq of the ram to match the FSB of the CPU (333Mhz), BAM!!!!!!!!! It ran MEMTEST with no errors. I seems like the generic ram was the problem. At least the mobo has new caps, now all I have to do is sell or return the board that I ordered (XFX Nforce2 Ultra).

Comment

I'm sorry to be hypocritical and sound like a wusse at the same time,
                                      but are you and your Iron well grounded while handling board?
                                      Does your shop have carpet?, are you into rubbing balloons on your chest?
                                      Jim

Comment

It's possibly that you're just required to lower the FSB frequency by around 10 mhz. If you have PC2700 DDR SDRAM, it probably maxes out at around 190 mhz.
                                        For 200 mhz, you're probably required to get PC3200 DDR SDRAM.
                                        ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

Working...
                                        X