Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Samsung LN46B540 turns off

Hi all,

My Samsung LN46B540 will continually turn itself off and on.
    This will only occur when there is an active signal being broadcast.

If I leave the tv on with no signal source, just a blank "no signal" screen, it doesn't experience any issues.

However, as soon as I connect a source, it will start turning itself off and on again.

It started about a year ago. After not using it for a month it started working again. Now the issue has re-occurred. It will turn on for 5 minutes, then turn off for 5 minutes, then on for a second, then off for 5 minutes, then on again, etc etc.

I opened it up to have a look at the caps. I didn't notice any leaking or bulging in any of them, but I'm no expert.

What do you guys think? I'd like to know if I should attempt to replace the caps, or one of the boards.

Thanks!
    Attached Files

Re: Samsung LN46B540 turns off

You can try a factory reset. Press mute 1 8 2 then power on remote. Then find factory reset. Dont mess with anything else.

Comment

K I'm gonna try that, thanks. I'll have to get new batteries for the remote so can't try right now though.

..I'm curious though, if the fact that the issue only occurs with a signal being broadcast is indicative that it might not be the caps? Or does this not really tell us much?

Edit: Forgot my phone doubles as a remote control.
      Performed the factory reset ( though it's : power (off), mute ,8,2,4, power (on), for older models. )

Unfortunately, no dice, same issue occurs after the reset.
      Last edited by Sethro; 12-16-2018, 04:12 PM.

Comment

You can try turning down the backlight setting to its lowest point and see if the tv stays on longer.

Comment

Does it happen on all sources, hdmi, rf/cable, component?

Comment

The issue occurred on every source I've tried: HDMI (multiple ports), VGA, & rf/cable.

It seems to occur independent of backlight settings. Although I guesstimate more testing would be required to rule it out completely, but no - it doesn't seem to be be significantly better with a setting of zero.

The behavior I see now: is that when I plug it in and turn it on with an active source it stays on for about 5 minutes, turns off for 5 minutes, then will only briefly flicker on again from there on out for less then 1 second to maybe a minute at most, at about 5 to 12 minute intervals.

Comment

What is the power supply/Inverter board P/N? BN44-?????
              Never stop learning
              Basic LCD TV and Monitor troubleshooting guides.
              http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...956#post305956

Voltage Regulator (LDO) testing:
              http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...999#post300999

Inverter testing using old CFL:
              http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...er+testing+cfl

Tear down pictures : Hit the ">" Show Albums and stories" on the left side
              http://s807.photobucket.com/user/budm/library/

TV Factory reset codes listing:
              http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=24809

Comment

Maybe check your voltage regulators, second link in budm's signature.

Comment

Yes the power board/inverter is a BN44 00265.

In terms of checking the the voltage regulators I'm not equipped to do so with any immediacy... though I've ordered a multimeter from china...

Comment

You can get meters for about 10 bucks from the big box stores, not sure about Canada tho.

Comment

Originally posted by Sethro View Post
                      Yes the power board/inverter is a BN44 00265.

In terms of checking the the voltage regulators I'm not equipped to do so with any immediacy... though I've ordered a multimeter from china...
                      go to canadian tire... they always have some basic multimeters along with some sales on better ones. You will readily get one for less than $20.

Comment

Originally posted by budwich View Post
                        go to canadian tire... they always have some basic multimeters along with some sales on better ones. You will readily get one for less than $20.
                        Ok, thanks, I'll pick one up this weekend.

Comment

Working...
                        X