Gateway MA7 laptop won't charge or run off of A/C

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gateway MA7 laptop won't charge or run off of A/C

So at first I was assuming this was your standard borked power jack. Laptop runs off of batt, but won't charge batt or run off of straight a/c. So I pulled it apart.... to find that the jack is fine. I'm getting 19v at the motherboard, but nothing at the battery terminals. Pressing the power button yields nothing when the battery is out, and yields three red flashes if the battery is in (indicating the battery needs charged).

Any ideas on what could be causing this? I've examined the motherboard to find nothing burnt or blown apart.... but it sure seems like this should be something simple like a fuse or a diode.
    Ludicrous gibs!

Re: Gateway MA7 laptop won't charge or run off of A/C

seems i had one that had some smt inductors that had cracked near the jack.probably from board flex.often a mosfet switch that can fail.and the tiny smt fuses.

Comment

cracked joint, check the soldering again. or a bad fuse perhaps.
      sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

I have voltage to the charging circuit, but nothing past there. Guess the chip is bad . Apparently the laptop runs off the charging circuit.
        Ludicrous gibs!

Comment

i have had more than one with a good joint on the dc jack by sight but open to one side or the other of the board.power getting to the charger but nothing else working due to no stby voltage from the bad joint at the jack.most boards have a standby supply to run part of the board.other subsystems have to get the "turn on" command from the chipset.

Comment

what need new Gateway MA3 MA7 AC DC Power Jack Socket Pin Connector
            you will have to remove m/b to replace it.
            jack round 5.00 dollar some have free shiping on ebay
            if do this make sure do not pull round pin at go th m/b
            out are mi have buy new m/b. are take it some one at solder good.
            Mostly the problem is the DC power jack broken or burned. push out back
            Now you just need replace the broken/burned DC power jack to save your entire motherboard!
            i hop this help you out i repair few differ gateway
            laptop. i can do job for your. let know i gave you phone number talk to me
            email me mccoy46a@cox.net
            have a good night

Comment

i got this from differ tech

Gateway MA7 - MX6958*
              Centrino Duo

Dead, Battery will not charge
              Works with good battery,
              Will not work with Adapter

This unit arrived with a common problem that DC jacks presents. However when you continue to use with the defect, it eats the copper around the POS terminal of the jack. In this case the copper had been eaten away, as well as shorting between planes of the motherboards phenolic. So there is only one way to resolve it, by bypassing that section (if possible). The condition of this MA7 was too far gone to be able to bypass.

One picture shows the scorching under the copper, the other shows the current path of the DC In.
              good to luck all
              Attached Files

Comment

There has to be a way to get around this problem. Maybe drilling through the positive hole on the motherboard, sealing it with an insulator of some sort then connecting the positive terminal of the jack to the next available positive point? To do this, you would probably need to take measurements from a working board to find out where positive comes out next. I see this problem a lot and am starting to get frustrated with it. I want to find a solution.

Comment

Well, I now have been given a MA7 to repair, and I know there is a repair out there, but like a lot of repair fixes nobody seems to want to give up the ghost. I myself and not as old school and if I get the info, I will share it.

Comment

Well, I was able to put a jumper wire from the center pin on the bottom of the board, and run it through a hole that was not being used on the board right beside the Diode in the picture that the Aubrey52 posted, and solderd it to one leg of it. Now the Laptop works great, and has been return to its owner.

Comment

I have a gateway MA3 that had the same symptoms I did what dobber did and it worked. I have three boards that did the same all came to life! Will post clearer images the only difference is the diode is in a difference location than the MA7 but I figured they were lost so I tried it and it worked will leave it on overnight to burn in and see if it takes.

Comment

I've fixed several laptop boards with burned out holes with a jumper wire to the first place that has the capacity to handle the current. I get the wire from dead ATX power supplies.
                        sig files are for morons

Comment

hi btmmike I have a ma3 board too and if its possible could you post a pic of how you connected to the diode
                          Thanks

Comment

Glad to see more people having luck with these boards.

Comment

Hi,

I have an MA7 with the same problems. DC jack is upon inspection soldered to the board, however no charge to battery and will not turn on. Any chance of pictures showing the jumper wire fix.

Comment

A jumper wire should always be used. The Gateway MA3 jack positive terminal connects only on the top. No matter how well the bottom is soldered the top can break leaving the laptop with no power.

I just completed a free redo due to not using a jumper wire.
                                sig files are for morons

Comment

I think what he means is that the pictures are so small that it's difficult to see where the jumpers are connected. I've got a couple MA2A/MA3/PA6A with the same problem that are on the back burner at the moment... I'd be interested in seeing a closeup as well. I can post a closeup of the DC jack area if someone can mark it up...

Comment

check those tiny black inductors too.
                                    seen several open esp where the dc brick had a short in the plug.probably gets blown by a cap on the input dumping through the intermittant short in the plug.

Comment

I have the same problem on my MA7 and i replaced the DC jack but still got nothin. I am sure i ordered the right jack but there was a hole from where the factory plug sat? Any suggestions on what to try next?

Comment

By the way, when you add a jumper wire, pay attention to the conductive surfaces (one copper foil, one braid type) that rest between the power jack and the plastic case when the board is installed. Insulate with something in between. Otherwise you'll get a neat fireworks show and probably hate yourself for a little while...

Comment

Working...
                                        X