• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: DV9500 blue LED ring of death ?

here is a good picture
    Attached Files

Comment

If it's PD16, I'm not sure how it blew. It's only connected to 19V on one side and high value resistors on the other. I guess just replace it and see what happens. It should be okay to put either of the diodes you have there. But measure the pads after you remove it. Make sure there is no short circuit somewhere.

Comment

Or you can switch it with the other diode on the board (test it with a multimeter first to make sure it's good). That one is only used if you use a dock.

Comment

what's the minimum connection to turn it on...at least see the fan on ?
          thanks

Comment

The main AC voltage needs to be getting to the board. The charging chip needs to be working (PU1). The 3V/5V chip has to be working (PU10). So does the EC (U50). And probably the PCH. The board normally has to be in the S0 power state before the fans and everything start turning on.

The easiest thing is just to replace PD16 with PD15 (if you are sure the burned one is PD16). Then see if it turns on. If not, then start measuring voltages. Start with finding the 19V on both sides of PQ61 and then check the 3V and 5V from PU10. Etc.

Comment

How can I check if PU1 (Max 8724) is faulty ? What's PU10 ?
              What's PQ61 ? is it still in page 41 of the schematic ?

Comment

PQ61 = AO4430....FET....can it be tested without voltage ? FET testing with diode in DMM ?

Comment

PQ61 is the input MOSFET. It stays off until PU1 turns it on. PU1 turns it on as soon as you connect the AC adapter and it sees the 19V. Both of those are on page 41.

Just plug in the AC adapter and if you can measure 19V on both sides of PQ61, then it's okay. But yes, it is possible to (mostly) test it out of circuit too.

PU10 (on page 42) takes the 19V and tuns it into 3V and 5V.

You shouldn't have to test any of those unless it's still not working after replacing PD16.

Comment

I need to wait for PD16 then..

Comment

Can I test without switch button? How?

Comment

As I said, you can replace PD16 with PD15 and then continue testing the board. They are the same component. And PD15 is only needed if you are using a docking station.

Plugging in the power switch is easiest. But it's possible to do it manually. Search for "NBSWON1#" in the schematic. You have to connect that line to ground for a moment to simulate a button press. The easiest place to do it is on pin3 of the CN7 connector (the one that goes to the power button board).

Comment

Alright...I ll try later of after work.
                          ..thx

Comment

ISL6236...Pu10...voltage regulator???

Comment

Yes, that's a 3V and 5V voltage regulator. It won't get power until you replace PD16.

Comment

I can't find ISL6236 only Maxim8724 max8770 max8717

Comment

FDS6900as

Comment

I put PD15 to PD16 and it burned instanly when I apply power and it burned something else...
                                    please have a look on the photos
                                    Attached Files

Comment

I can't find the component label, but it's below intel processor
                                      Attached Files

Comment

It's PQ62 (an NXP PIMZ2) and is on the right side of page 41. This makes much more sense. It helps a lot to explain why the diode failed in the first place.

That circuit is a voltage multiplier that generates the >19V (labeled as 28V) needed to turn on any N-Channel MOSFETs on the board. The part that burned is just 2 transistors in one package.

The best thing to do is to test everything in that big blue circle in the schematic (the one on the right side of page 41). It's hard to test the specific values in circuit. But make sure none of the capacitors are shorted, make sure the resistors are not shorted or open, and make sure the diodes are working. PU11 might be bad but that is harder to test.
                                        Attached Files

Comment

Ok will do...so that's the cause of PD16 burned...how can it connect to PD16...which node ?

Comment

Working...
                                          X