PNY Geforce Nvidia 6200 256MB PCI only

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: PNY Geforce Nvidia 6200 256MB PCI only

I took the heatsink off to dry it out after cleaning the card, there was this thermal paste stuff what do I use to replace this with?

There was numbers written on it. GF-6200-AGP-N-A1
    NH2981.000.

Seem stuck when I first took it off.

Is it thermal paste of something else.

When I put it back it wobbles, it is not stable.

http://www.ronstultz.com/knowledge/D...%20Freezes.htm

Found this I got to use small wire to secure it ot the card.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Fast Alpha; 02-26-2018, 11:06 AM.
    http://www.hse.gov.uk/pubns/indg305.pdf

Comment

You need to replace the thermal compond.
      For example using Arctic Silver or Arctic Ceramique.
      But before you need to clean off the old compound.
      They sell a product for that too, called ArctiClean.
      P.S: I'm not a chill for Arctic's products even it sounds that way :P

You can use any compound you prefer.
      And for cleaning isopropanol alcohol, or Aceton works too, with the latter just be careful since it melts plastic.
      Infact any citrus based product probably works, or in a pinch a citrus
      "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

The heatsink wobbles when I put it back to check. How do I secure it there are two push pins.

Comment

It wobbles because of all the old crap thermal compound
          "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

Originally posted by Per Hansson View Post
            It wobbles because of all the old crap thermal compound
            I know how to apply thermal compound on a cpu, I don't know how to secure it to a gpu. I have artic silver5 and the artics clean already.

I might need washers or small wire to keep it stable.

I am using electric tape.
            Attached Files

Comment

No no no
              Just leave the cooler/heatsink mounting AS IS. It wobbles, because the GPU die is fairly small and the cooler is fairly wide. It didn't do that before, because that old thermal compound is the gummy stuff that also acts as an adhesive. It was very popular back on older cards, including the Radeon 9700 and GeForce 4 TI line. Just remove all of it and apply normal compound.

As long as the cooler balances flat on the GPU die (which will happen only if you clean all of the old gunky compound away from both the GPU and the cooler completely), ignore the wobble. You can also use a flash light to look between the cooler and the GPU to see if there are any gaps between the die and the cooler - there shouldn't be, unless your push-pin mounting is damaged somehow. I doubt you'll have any, but feel free to check.
              Last edited by momaka; 02-26-2018, 07:24 PM.

Comment

I applied some artic silver 5 on the gpu. Then added it to the heatsink, I washed it with water to clean it. Then dried it for one day.

How do you remove and add the capacitors to the board, without leaving solder there. The lead free take ages to melt.
                http://uk.farnell.com/duratool/sold0...g-6m/dp/146706

I would of got that but it is sold out from farnell.

Desoldering Braid, Soder-Wick®, Lead Free, Static Dissipative Bobbin, Copper, 2.8 mm x 10 ft
                i bought braid before it was only 1.5mm wide though.

Does solder stick to carboard I could wrap that around the leads then remove them?
                Last edited by Fast Alpha; 02-27-2018, 02:33 PM.

Comment

Remove the caps as I instructed you on the previous pages. For cleaning up the holes, use a seweing needle - preferably stainless steel. Then heat each capacitor hole/via on the board with your iron and push through with the needle on the other side. Depending on how thick the board layers are and how good of a contact your tip is making with the board, it make take a bit of force to push the needle trough, or it may not take any force at all. When things are not working, use more flux and leaded solder.

Forget about desoldering braid/wick. It won't work well for cleaning the holes on big traces.

Comment

You need to use a fume extractor when you solder with flux and leaded solder, or you can make one. What do you do to reduce the fumes in the air???

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KAaM0z9JjYc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z64-RwxSztU

Comment

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Philips-HQ1.../dp/B0012YEZKO

Would this be good to lube computer fans/ laptop fans the ballbearing.

Comment

Originally posted by Fast Alpha View Post
                        https://www.amazon.co.uk/Philips-HQ1.../dp/B0012YEZKO

Would this be good to lube computer fans/ laptop fans the ballbearing.
                        I do not know anything about. I use a product called Lubriplate. Lithium based.

Comment

Lithium grease is the best, just don't eat it. Silicone grease is a close second and is non-toxic.
                          Originally posted by PeteS in CA
                          Remember that by the time consequences of a short-sighted decision are experienced, the idiot who made the bad decision may have already been promoted or moved on to a better job at another company.
                          A working TV? How boring!

Comment

Originally posted by Th3_uN1Qu3 View Post
                            Lithium grease is the best, just don't eat it. Silicone grease is a close second and is non-toxic.
                            I bought this stuff for fan bearings.
                            https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CARLUBE-L...D/132402652956

Comment

Originally posted by Th3_uN1Qu3 View Post
                              Lithium grease is the best
                              For gears, optical drive laser guides, and other sliding parts (particularly plastic, but not rotating shafts)... YES.

For failed ball bearings... maybe (I tested silicone grease in a set of failed fan ball bearings, but they still sounded bad afterwards.)

For sleeve bearing fans... Nooooooooooo!
                              I've tried it it a number of times, all with different techniques and on different fans, in hopes of finding one that would work. But I always get the same result: fan goes back to the original (bad) condition after a very short time.

A good cleaning of the sleeve bearing + light machine oil works the best.

Comment

Whit fans, I'm doing some test with synthetic 2T oil and it is the best solution I've found until now. I've thought of that after used it for repairing an sewing machine made in the 50's.
                                The bearings have micro pores that get plugged with the greases.
                                For me a grease is a solution only when the bearings are in very bad shape but the fan becomes slower and in the case of small fans they even can't start.

Comment

Originally posted by momaka View Post
                                  For gears, optical drive laser guides, and other sliding parts (particularly plastic, but not rotating shafts)... YES.

For failed ball bearings... maybe (I tested silicone grease in a set of failed fan ball bearings, but they still sounded bad afterwards.)

For sleeve bearing fans... Nooooooooooo!
                                  I've tried it it a number of times, all with different techniques and on different fans, in hopes of finding one that would work. But I always get the same result: fan goes back to the original (bad) condition after a very short time.

A good cleaning of the sleeve bearing + light machine oil works the best.
                                  How do you apply this to the optical drive, I took one apart and accidentlly removed some. How do you add it properly???

Sewing machine oil can you add that to fans, how do you take them apart, I don't see how to do it.

Originally posted by diif View Post
                                  I bought this stuff for fan bearings.
                                  https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CARLUBE-L...D/132402652956
                                  Lot's of bad reviews on that seller diif.
                                  Attached Files
                                  Last edited by Fast Alpha; 03-24-2018, 02:41 PM.

Comment

Some laptop fans can be disambled simply by pulling the blades, so in your case you can remove the screws that hold the metal plate and try to pull the blades gently.
                                    Or maybe it has a circlip behind the sticker but depends on the fan, some can't be disambled so easy.
                                    Be aware of cheap sewing machine oils they are bad, bad bad... like vegetal oil.
                                    That small fan may not work if you use grease because the grease is to heavy and the fan has not enought power be carefull on the amount of grease if you try it.
                                    Last edited by hikaruichijo; 03-24-2018, 05:32 PM.

Comment

so anyone have any recommendation for some good quality machine oil? i searched ebay and they only have liquid wrench light machine oil. not sure if thats good.

and yes sewing machine oil isnt good for sleeve bearing fans. i tried it and the oil evaporates or dries out after a year of 12x7 use on my computer fans. on my household desk fans and stand fans, the oil starts to dry after about a couple of weeks and the fan starts spinning up slowly again and eventually it spins so slowly there isnt any wind or it just stops spinning at all for the larger 16 or 18 inch fans.

Comment

Originally posted by ChaosLegionnaire View Post
                                        so anyone have any recommendation for some good quality machine oil? i searched ebay and they only have liquid wrench light machine oil. not sure if thats good.

and yes sewing machine oil isnt good for sleeve bearing fans. i tried it and the oil evaporates or dries out after a year of 12x7 use on my computer fans. on my household desk fans and stand fans, the oil starts to dry after about a couple of weeks and the fan starts spinning up slowly again and eventually it spins so slowly there isnt any wind or it just stops spinning at all for the larger 16 or 18 inch fans.
                                        I use two types of lube. for a heavy oil based lube that will not dry out I use Mobil One Gear Lube 90 Weight, it is a synthetic blend of lube. One quart will last you several lifetimes. For a grease I use Lubriplate, lithium based and light weight. Lasts forever and does work on rotating shafts like fans. Not to be used on heavy load bearing objects in close proximity to each other. Moly types of lubes work best for those.

Comment

Originally posted by Fast Alpha View Post
                                          Sewing machine oil can you add that to fans, how do you take them apart, I don't see how to do it.
                                          The one you show in the pictures look like it came out of a laptop or other portable device. Sometimes those fans are sealed.

Usually you have to get the fan out of the housing (if it is in one) and then remove the sticker on the back of the fan. If not, then just peel the sticker on the back of your fan. Then there should be a C-washer/retainer that needs to be removed in order to free the top part (the rotor / blade assembly) from the fan housing / stator / hub.

That said, if you have a sealed fan, it's much more tricky. I finally figured how to take those apart (without damaging them) literally 2 weeks ago. And to do that, you have to do some drilling. If you haven't opened a regular PC fan, you might want to do that to get familiar with how PC fans are put together.

I suggest avoiding eBay, Amazon, and Ali Express for anything name-brand. It's like trying to buy a genuine Swiss watch from a shady dealer in some alley - not gonna happen, lol.

Not sure how Singapore is setup, but if you have any well-known reputable national chain stores for home improvement or car parts, you might want to look there. Here in the US, for such things I'd probably look into Home Depot or Advanced Auto Parts / Autozone, or other similar stores.

and yes sewing machine oil isnt good for sleeve bearing fans. i tried it and the oil evaporates or dries out after a year of 12x7 use on my computer fans.
                                          Depends on the quality of the oil you were using, really. And also if you cleaned the sleeve bearing very well. I use a drill bit and *slide* it into the sleeve bearing in and out (NOT rotate). This cleans accumulated debris, evens out any circular channels that have developed from the fan shaft rotating in the same spot over time, and also creates grooves/scratches parallel to the shaft (perpendicular to the rotational motion), which then get filled with oil and retain it for a longer time. After cleaning the sleeve bearing with the drill bit, I then clean out the dirt with IPA / alcohol and small pieces of paper (I do this 2-3 times, or more if needed). These cleaning steps are absolutely essential if you want your repaired fans to last longer.

That aside, you can also use almost any synthetic engine oil (preferably a lighter type) or even gear/transmission oil, as Sparkey55 suggested.
                                          Last edited by momaka; 04-05-2018, 06:25 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                          X