Reverse Image - Soyo Topaz S 24"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Reverse Image - Soyo Topaz S 24"

For those of you who are having power supply issues, I have managed to source a revised board from China that replaces the original. The design is much better than the original. Since there is no domestic source and I had to jump through all kinds of hoops to get one in hand, I am organizing a group buy for those who are interested.

Full details here:

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=8749

Comment

Correction to Player2's post - the url for the Soyo Topaz S power supply thread on slickdeals.net is:

[Solved] How to fix M24E14 M24EI4 power supply board

Please go there to express interest in a group buy, more takers equals a lower price.

Comment

Hey guys, my thread here got deleted. I don't want to step on anyone's toes here by breaking any forum rules so if you're interested check the SlickDeals thread. The deal is on until February 2nd.

FYI, as far as posting commercial ads, yes I am organizing this group buy through my business to attain lower prices by purchasing in bulk. However, at the price I am offering in the group buy there is no profit built in. There may end up being wiggle room of $1 or $2 to account for slight discrepancies in the final shipping cost, but I am not doing this to make money, I am trying to give back to those whose experience with this monitor helped me, and who can benefit from the legwork I put in to find a source for these boards. The first board I ordered cost almost double what I am charging now, hence the buying power of a group.

Once the group buy is over, I will probably purchase more for resale at a profit, however that will be done through other venues and will not be advertised here.

Thank you

Comment

I wanted to add some info to this thread to help some people out. If you stumble accross this you may be having troubles with your power supply (psu) or overheating issues (prob caused by psu). It took me a while to figure out how to get a new psu and actually install it so I wrote a tutorial on my blog yourdiyguy.blogspot.com to help others out. I hope the info helps some people out b/c it is hard to get all the info you need in one place. :0)

Comment

Originally posted by yourdiyguy View Post
            I wanted to add some info to this thread to help some people out. If you stumble accross this you may be having troubles with your power supply (psu) or overheating issues (prob caused by psu). It took me a while to figure out how to get a new psu and actually install it so I wrote a tutorial on my blog yourdiyguy.blogspot.com to help others out. I hope the info helps some people out b/c it is hard to get all the info you need in one place. :0)
            I suggest you also post the tutorial in this thread. That means one more spot people can find it and shower you with praise for your wisdom.

PlainBill
            For a number of reasons, both health and personal, I will no longer be active on this board. Any PMs asking for assistance will be ignored.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

Comment

Hi all. Going to necro-hijack this thread since I have the same monitor and hopefully I can get some help here.

Purchased it "as is" recently and I'm trying to see how best I can get it sorted. It powers on but the colors are messed up - black and white is fine - and I noticed like a scan line moving up the screen. Decided to open it up and check out what's going on.

First thing I notice is that two 25V 1000uf capacitors need to be changed.

Next is that all of these resistors seem to be burned......

What seems to be a Zener Diode is actually not connected to the board - damaged.

And finally, the solder joint in the top left corner of this pic is gone - the one for the heat sink - and I'm guessing it can be connected to something else if needs be or left alone since it should be only ground....I think. Yes it came off when I was removing the heat sink, but it was really old and seemed like someone went in there before and was really rough with the parts. Also gunked up a lot of solder instead of removing and re-applying.

Now since I live in JA it's next to impossible for me to get these things locally. I do have access to a TV/electronics repair shop owned by a friend that I can scrap components out of old boards. I'd love if someone could help me by telling me what I could find these parts or similar parts in so I could scrap them and try to get the monitor working. Since it did power on I'm going to assume that the resistors - though they seem burned - are fine. I have no idea how to test a zener and all I have is a cheap multimeter.

What would work lovely for me is if one of the other members that purchased a replacement would be willing to give/sell me their old one. It may be in better condition than what I have and require much less work/parts. I use a shipping company in Miami so there's no need to send it directly to JA as that would cost much more.

Any help at all would be appreciated. I don't see any boards available to purchase directly and it would be nice to try and fix it instead of replace. Thanks in advance all.
              Last edited by khat17; 04-24-2013, 11:55 PM.

Comment

Seems like that same zener diode goes out for a lot of people. I saw a solution that looks correct.

He said. "I replaced (adapted) the ZD1 with an axial 30V 1 watt zener diode (to prevent overheating) and it worked like a charm, just watch out for polarity when replacing it. I also replaced a couple of bulked top caps under one of the heatsink."

The URL is
                http://slickdeals.net/f/1655449-Solv...r-supply-board

Comment

Thanks. I did see that. What appliance would I be able to take something like that out of? Being in Jamaica I'm most definitely not going to get that in an electronics store. Going to have to scrap it or order it online.

What about the other parts?

Comment

Weird that I can't edit my post. Guess I need to increase the count.

I changed what I could (got a 27V .25W zener) and put that in. The lines running up the screen are gone now, but the colors are still messed up. Will post a pic/video of that later on. I'm guessing the resistors. How do I get replacements for those? They say 114 but I asked at a store and they're not sure if I can get that as the originals are surface. I planned to just use regular ones in their place tho. I'll post a pic of what was done later all being well.

*EDIT*
                    I'm trying to find a calculator to work out which type of resistor will give me 144 Ohms, but the nearest thing is 150 Ohms. Can someone help with finding this out? Also - based on the picture being messed up, could the issue lie with the processor board and not the power board?
                    Last edited by khat17; 04-25-2013, 02:27 PM.

Comment

'114' is printed on the body of the SMD resistor? 114 = 110K Ohm.
                      Never stop learning
                      Basic LCD TV and Monitor troubleshooting guides.
                      http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...956#post305956

Voltage Regulator (LDO) testing:
                      http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...999#post300999

Inverter testing using old CFL:
                      http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...er+testing+cfl

Tear down pictures : Hit the ">" Show Albums and stories" on the left side
                      http://s807.photobucket.com/user/budm/library/

TV Factory reset codes listing:
                      http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=24809

Comment

Thanks for that. For the resistors, can I test them within the circuit or will I get a bad reading? I think my cheap multimeter should be able to test for Ohms.

I have to go on the road so as soon as I'm back from work I'll upload pics/video.

Comment

http://youtu.be/xH7YMKUi99w

Video is there. So now it's moved from the bad colored image to trying to draw the image on the screen. I'm thinking processor board now. Thing is that there is nothing visibly wrong with the processor board. And the OSD comes up if there is no signal, but not for very long as it goes to sleep mode thereafter saying no signal. Any suggestions or thoughts on this?

@ BUDM - I checked with my cheap meter and got 24.3 I think it was on all the resistors when set to 200k ohms.

Comment

I believe that some transistors can be checked while in the circuit, but capacitors need to be removed to be tested. Diodes should give signal (continuity) only in one direction, but I have no idea how to test zeners. Any help on how to do the testing?

While I do plan to download and read the PDFs that BUDM posted I'm kinda looking for fast answers now. Want to get the monitor working so I can game :p

I managed to get a 27V .25W zener locally. Could it be that the wattage is too low on it and the cause of the drawing issue?

The one I removed tested with continuity on both sides so I guess it's dead. The new one doesn't give me continuity on either side - so I need to know if there's some way to test that. Will post a pic of my meter so you guys know what I'm working with.
                            Last edited by khat17; 04-27-2013, 10:10 AM.

Comment

I cleaned up some of the contacts and changed some of the solder on a few of the parts that seemed more old/dirty/corroded and the monitor now comes up - but I'm getting the old issue where the color is badly off. Still thinking the processor board.....

I notice when I play with the settings on the monitor and change the frequencies the horizontal actually changes the image size on the screen while the vertical does absolutely nothing. Waiting on someone more experienced to get some feedback but this is suggesting to me that the processor board is the issue....

Comment

My meter.

You'll see the 27V .25W zener in this pic. I had to connect it like that because the solder points were about to tear off the board. That happened in a few other spots as well - not sure who did the previous rework and jacked some of the points. And yes - I got it with some screws missing.

Last edited by khat17; 04-28-2013, 10:46 AM.

Comment

*BUMP*

Anyone?

Comment

Ok - Well thanks guys. If I don't get a replacement screen by next month I'll just go and buy the replacement boards. Thanks for the help and everything - will keep at it and try to get better with electronics overall.

Comment

i have one given to me same power supply missing parts near big cap ( q4 ) could u tell me part number or good picture

Comment

Probably later this evening when I get back in from work. I'll check and see. If I can find it......think I may have tossed it by now.........

Comment

Working...
                                        X