Hanns G HG216D flashing power button

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Hanns G HG216D flashing power button

Hey Sparks did you ever pinpoint the problem? I'm having the same exact blinking led and my tests after following this thread measure the same as yours with the exception of voltage at L803 being 24v rather than 26v as you got.

Comment

Also, with the main board disconnected all the 5v pins measure 5.16v. Not sure if this means anything or if it's related to the voltage regulator on the main board reading 4.69v instead of 5v. I also measured voltage at a schottky diode (PJ74 SS14) on main board at anode side reading 5v then 4.69v cathode side which leads to 5v pin on voltage regulator. Any ideas anyone?

Comment

Anyone? Trying to repair this for a friend. Any help would be appreciated.

Comment

I'm going to be a pain and bump this. Sorry guys just would like to fix this! Btw my psu and main board are identical to original poster's that's why I haven't included any additional pics.

Comment

Originally posted by caphair View Post
            I'm going to be a pain and bump this. Sorry guys just would like to fix this! Btw my psu and main board are identical to original poster's that's why I haven't included any additional pics.
            That's why the thread is being ignored. If you were sick, would ask your brother to go to the doctor for you?

Sometimes faults can be identified from pictures, sometimes not. Even if everything looks fine, it is handy to have pictures to identify test points.

PlainBill
            For a number of reasons, both health and personal, I will no longer be active on this board. Any PMs asking for assistance will be ignored.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

Comment

Originally posted by PlainBill View Post
              That's why the thread is being ignored. If you were sick, would ask your brother to go to the doctor for you?

Sometimes faults can be identified from pictures, sometimes not. Even if everything looks fine, it is handy to have pictures to identify test points.

PlainBill

My sister is currently using my digital camera so good quality pics on my part is not possible right now. Like I said the boards are identical to original poster's. Could you use those for the time being to guide in test points and anything else you think I should check? Thanks

Comment

i decided to put this out of its misery, i bought a esr meter and went about testing the caps, the power board was recapped as a matter of routine but didnt make a bit of difference to the unit, i then started on the video board and about 90% of the caps were shot, in addition i found dry joints and a few broken/damaged tracks and vias, how this ever worked is beyond me, probably just enough contact on the tracks to work, it actually failed while i was testing a ps3 and maybe the resolution the ps3 was enough to kill it off for good

Comment

Originally posted by Sparks88 View Post
                  i decided to put this out of its misery, i bought a esr meter and went about testing the caps, the power board was recapped as a matter of routine but didnt make a bit of difference to the unit, i then started on the video board and about 90% of the caps were shot, in addition i found dry joints and a few broken/damaged tracks and vias, how this ever worked is beyond me, probably just enough contact on the tracks to work, it actually failed while i was testing a ps3 and maybe the resolution the ps3 was enough to kill it off for good
                  Thanks for your update. I'll check out the main board and replace the caps.

Comment

I have the same problem with my monitor here, and I was planning to replace the caps on the video board as suggested, but I'm unsure what replacements to use. I know how to replace parts from a board.
                    My problem is: There are different caps with the same voltage, capacity and temperature specs, but they differ in colour and a remark like "SG", "SGA", "HT", "LS" or "SH", what do they mean, if the mean anything?

Comment

Originally posted by sebtailor View Post
                      I have the same problem with my monitor here, and I was planning to replace the caps on the video board as suggested, but I'm unsure what replacements to use. I know how to replace parts from a board.
                      My problem is: There are different caps with the same voltage, capacity and temperature specs, but they differ in colour and a remark like "SG", "SGA", "HT", "LS" or "SH", what do they mean, if the mean anything?
                      These letters are generally used by the manufacturer to identify the series/class of caps used. For example, general purpose, low esr, power supply, etc. Something like the Panasonic FM/FC series caps will generally meet most of your needs.

Comment

I replaced all electrolytic capacitors on both boards now, but it didn't do anything. Symptoms are still as mentioned above.
                        The only difference I could find is that I do not get a 3,9 V AC Voltage at Pin 1 of the Power Board-Logic Board connector.
                        Furthermore I hear a repeating short noise from the big cap C805 that sounds like a loading capacitor - again and agein. I hope that is understandable.
                        Any idea what I could do?

As a notice: Since I'm in Germany, I've got 230 V AC input.

Comment

Post clear focused pictures of all your boards following my sig file below exactly. We want picture composition like the following

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showpo...94&postcount=1
                          Last edited by retiredcaps; 06-05-2012, 10:11 PM.
                          --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

"I have the same problem with my monitor here,"

It is better to say what the problem is so we dont have to read back through
                            the thread to find out.

The only difference I could find is that I do not get a 3,9 V AC Voltage at Pin 1 of the Power Board-Logic Board connector.

Does that mean you get zero volts at pin 1?

I hear a repeating short noise from the big cap C805 that sounds like a loading capacitor - again and agein.

Did you have that before you changed the caps?

What caps did you use make/series.?

Please check your soldering and that you have the caps the correct way round (polarity)

Please also post close up pictures of the connectors if possible showing the
                            board description for the pins.
                            Please upload pictures using attachment function when ask for help on the repair
                            http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=39740

Comment

First: Thanks so far.
                              I'll try to answer all additional questions as good as I can.

Pictures: Both boards originally looked exactly as seen on the photos in the first post. Since I have altered the caps, I cannot provide photos of the Boards in their original state.
                              Furthermore, I have no High-Res Camera at hand, but I'll try to borrow one. I assure you, that I didn't alter anything except the caps.

Summary of the Problem: I got monitor already nonfunctional (for free). The screen stays black, the power LED flashes rapidly as soon as power is connected. No other response.
                              When I disconnected the logic-board from the power-board, I got an all white screen.
                              All voltages on the boards seemed okay in relation to the test mentioned in this thread, except that I have around 300 V on C805, which is, I think, due to my 230V AC input.
                              I heard a very faint clicking noise from the logic board, which I do not hear anymore.

Pins:
                              pin 1 no dc volts but 3.6v ac
                              pin 2 2.9v dc
                              pin 3 low voltage pulsing in time with front power led about .8v dc
                              pin 4 5v dc
                              pin 5 5v dc
                              pin 6 0v
                              pin 7 0v
                              pin 8 5v dc
                              pin 9 0v
                              The Pin numbers above are the ones of the logic board, the numbers on the power-board are vice versa.
                              My pin 1 on the logic board measure around 1V AC, but even the ground-to-air measured around 1V AC, I didn't think it was important, but maybe it is? If I remember correctly, I got the "correct" voltage before I changed the caps.

Noise at C805:
                              If that wasn't clear: C805 was not changed. It the voltages there was ok, and it dicharged as slowly as it should when I diconneted the power. I didn't change it because it was said, that this cap was not likely to fail, it's quite expensive compared to the other ones and it seemed to work fine.
                              I think I heard that noise before, but to be honest, I'm not completely sure. I thought this would be easily repaired, so I didn't pay much attention.

Caps used:
                              I used the Panasonic FC series mostly, some caps for the logic board were not available and I used Yageo SC. I tried to use the exact matches concerning to voltage and capacity.

Soldering: Although I had some problems installing the new caps on the logic board (and I looks awful), I tested every single connection, and they were fine. I didn't see any other damaged connections. I checked all caps three times for the right polarity, I know how dangerous it is to connect them the wrong way round.

Board discription: I'm not sure what you hope to see, there are only numbers as discribed above, nothing more.

I'll try to get some addional pics, If you still need them.
                              Any suggestion is welcome!

Comment

"I tried to use the exact matches concerning to voltage and capacity."

Did you mean "tried to" as in did , by using different make or didnt!

It is fairly critical that you used the exact values. though you can use
                                16v instead of 10v and 35v instead of 25v but the uf should be the same
                                and the voltage should never be lower then the one replaced.

We are going to need pictures- as clear as you can get - if only so that we can ask for details of parts.
                                Please upload pictures using attachment function when ask for help on the repair

Comment

Quick answer to that: Of course I didn't use a lower voltage or a different capacity. I took a slightly higher voltage (35 V instead of 16 V) in two cases on the logic board. What I meant to say is, that I did not take higher voltages generally to improve the boards lifespan as suggested on various sites.

Any specific parts of the boards you want pictures of?

Comment

Can we just start with fronts and backs of power supply and main. If we need
                                    a detail we can ask for it. If there is a list of expected voltages at the connectors on the back of the boards a close up of that would be useful.
                                    I have been reading the previous thread. and two measurements you could do
                                    are the one to the Jumper L803 and also the measurements on the voltage regulator at I104 and also state the part number of that.

Comment

Alright, I made some photos with my mobile phone.
                                      They're better than I expected, I hope you can see enough.

The logic-board looks terrible, I know, my bad. But I assure you, there is no visible collateral damage to other parts, all contacts seem to really contact and there are no shortcuts any more. But there could have been, because some pins could have contacted the monitor's housing when I powered it the first time after recapping.
                                      Attached Files

Comment

But there could have been, because some pins could have contacted the monitor's housing when I powered it the first time after recapping.

If they did touch they could be blown. I will look at the pics later- thanks

Comment

Originally posted by sebtailor View Post
                                          All voltages on the boards seemed okay in relation to the test mentioned in this thread, except that I have around 300 V on C805, which is, I think, due to my 230V AC input.
                                          If your mains voltage is 230V AC, then the DC voltage across the large filter capacitor should be

230 x 1.414 = 325V DC.

It is likely your monitor uses PFC

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Power_factor

If yes, then it should be closer to 400V DC at the large filter cap.

My pin 1 on the logic board measure around 1V AC, but even the ground-to-air measured around 1V AC, I didn't think it was important, but maybe it is?
                                          At the logic board, all the voltages used for normal operation are DC.

Some of those caps on the main board that are not sitting flush looks really bad. I suggest using a stainless steel needle and getting the holes cleared out so the caps sit flush and make sold mechanical contact with the board.
                                          --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Working...
                                          X