What is your average 2.4GHz 802.11g/n throughput

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What is your average 2.4GHz 802.11g/n throughput

In the beginning when I first got 802.11g wifi, I was getting 2.5MB/sec. But now, I unfortunately don't have way too much N/ac or 5GHz gear, but noticed my average throughput dropping like a rock. I barely get 1MB/sec on average. Sometimes 500KB/sec is a stretch. I almost never see that 2.5MB/sec anymore during any part of the day.

With the wide proliferation of wifi, are people seeing the same thing? I simply can't believe people constantly saturating their wifi and thus interfering with mine.

I'm just using Cat5 for now when I just need to get data from one machine to another. Even 10Mbit is sometimes faster than wifi...
    < 500KB/sec :(
    0%
    500KB/sec to less than 1MB/sec
    0%
    1MB-2MB/sec
    0%
    > 2MB/sec (g users) or less than 3MB/sec for n/ac
    0%
    >= 3MB/sec for n/ac users...
    0%

The poll is expired.

Re: What is your average 2.4GHz 802.11g/n throughput

Way more than that. You should get like 5+MB/s on single band N no problem.

Comment

Im lucky, channel 11 is all mine. Everybody else is piled around channel 3... Check the channels in use around you and adjust accordingly.
      Things I've fixed: anything from semis to crappy Chinese $2 radios, and now an IoT Dildo....

"Dude, this is Wyoming, i hopped on and sent 'er. No fucking around." -- Me

Excuse me while i do something dangerous

You must have a sad, sad boring life if you hate on people harmlessly enjoying life with an animal costume.

Sometimes you need to break shit to fix it.... Thats why my lawnmower doesn't have a deadman switch or engine brake anymore

Follow the white rabbit.

Comment

Well more than 3, I've no problem pulling around 20 MB/s on N300 file transfers. Using a WNDR4000 w/ DD-WRT on it myself.

Comment

If you have an Android phone eccerr0r download WiFi Analyzer and it will show you which channels are being used and at which strength.
          https://www.acrylicwifi.com/en/wlan-...lic-wifi-free/ is a windows alternative.

Microwave ovens, cordless phones, baby monitors can all produce interference on the 2.4Ghz band. As do video streamers. I've seen a crappy wireless video streamer flood all channels and kill wifi almost dead.

Are you using your ISPs provided wireless kit or your own ?

Comment

thats the beauty of rural, no pesky interference from neighbor's wireless. nice clean signal, quick, and stable....ohh, and fast.
            <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
            Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
            http://folding.stanford.edu/
            Team : 49813
            Join in!!
            Team Stats

Comment

Originally posted by Topcat View Post
              thats the beauty of rural, no pesky interference from neighbor's wireless. nice clean signal, quick, and stable....ohh, and fast.
              Doesn't do you much good when you have a 1mbit interne tconnection streaming over LAN would be great though.

Comment

Originally posted by shovenose View Post
                Doesn't do you much good when you have a 1mbit interne tconnection streaming over LAN would be great though.
                1mbit to the internet would be a godsent! On a good day, 384kbit is roaring! Yes, my HTPC's feed off the wireless very nicely though, the only real perk out here.
                <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
                Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
                http://folding.stanford.edu/
                Team : 49813
                Join in!!
                Team Stats

Comment

Originally posted by Topcat View Post
                  1mbit to the internet would be a godsent! On a good day, 384kbit is roaring! Yes, my HTPC's feed off the wireless very nicely though, the only real perk out here.
                  contact the nearest datacenter, get roof rights, and install a pair of these

https://store.ubnt.com/airfiber/airfiber-2x.html
                  Last edited by shovenose; 02-19-2016, 01:23 AM.

Comment

Well one problem is that I'm using 802.11g and I don't know who's using 802.11n in my neighborhood. Anyone using 802.11n on the 2.4GHz range especially if using wide channels will interfere with my network no matter what channel I choose.

Tonight I'm getting 1.9MB/sec from my 802.11b/g/n router to a DD-WRT WRT54G as a wireless bridge, which a bit higher than what I have been getting. Perhaps the neighbors aren't busy tonight. I just wonder how much I can kill wifi trying to run mythtv through wifi...

Comment

Working...
                    X