Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Another Westinghouse 19" monitor issue

Originally posted by Wyllie666
    If I am going to be in the market for new monitors, which brands are known to use bad caps? Like Westinghouse... will never buy another, would never recommend.
    Just about all of them. My attitude is to buy them, expect them to fail sooner or later, and recap when they do. At $10 to replace all the caps (and get another 5 years out of the monitor), it's not a big deal.

PlainBill
    For a number of reasons, both health and personal, I will no longer be active on this board. Any PMs asking for assistance will be ignored.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

Comment

Originally posted by PlainBill
      Unless the tint is mis-adjusted, the pink tint is an indication of a CCFL that's at the end of it's life. Don't toss it - either keep it around for parts or pass it off to someone else through Craigslist.

PlainBill
      I agree : most certainly a dying lamp.
      There are 10 kind of people in this world: those that understand binary, and those who don't.
      • ASUS ROG Maximus IX Code
      • Intel Core i5-7600K 3.8GHz
      • 16gb GSKILL TridentZ RGB DDR4-3200
      • 1 M2 SSD + 2 WD Blue 1TB (Mirrored)
      • Windows 10 Pro x64
      • GeForce GT1050
        2 x Acer KA240H + 1 Vewsonic VP2130 21 (a cap replacement job )

Comment

Ok... well the dying lamp I won't bother to fix, so all has been in vain, I won't bother to recap. I understand what you are saying about all monitors being suspect these days. They are hard to shop for. Reviews on new monitors give you no idea of their potential longevity. Most of these Westinghouse monitors crapped out after 14 months... long after anyone would have initially reviewed them on Cnet. You can't search for Westinghouse these days without finding a ton of bad user reviews. I think a one year warranty is ridiculous on any electronic device. They're basically telling you it will fail after a year. The one monitor that I have found that looks nice is made by AOC... they give their stuff a three year warranty... and I haven't found many bad reviews, mostly good. Funny thing is... was reading the warranty card, and despite everything it says about releasing liability, at the end of it all it says that some states in the US don't allow limitations or exclusions on a warranty, including a limit on length of warranty. So what state in the union is this that gives the consumer rights beyond the limited warranty? Arizona perhaps?

Comment

Oh yeah... the AOC monitor is led... so no lamp issues or power supply to recap.

Comment

Oh yeah... the AOC monitor is led... so no lamp issues or power supply to recap.
            Not true. They still have a SMPS, just no inverter.

PlainBill
            For a number of reasons, both health and personal, I will no longer be active on this board. Any PMs asking for assistance will be ignored.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

Comment

SMPS? I mean I know it still has some sort of psu, but I thought the bulk of it was external... is that SMPS? Anyway... bought it. Kick ass. Pretty LED. Who wants two Westinghouse widescreens that need new caps and maybe a ccfl?

Comment

SMPS? I mean I know it still has some sort of psu, but I thought the bulk of it was external... is that SMPS? Anyway... bought it. Kick ass. Pretty LED. Who wants two Westinghouse widescreens that need new caps and maybe a ccfl?
                Me if you live around the corner from here but alas no such luck
                Never mind someone will be lucky
                Last edited by Bobdee; 12-03-2009, 04:21 PM.

Comment

I can take them if you tell me the shipping cost to CA 92254
                  There are 10 kind of people in this world: those that understand binary, and those who don't.
                  • Windows 10 Pro x64
                  • GeForce GT1050

Comment

Of course you would have to cover shipping, but they ain't gonna be free. I could still fix them if I really wanted to. And they just might recall them one day.

Comment

Of course you would have to cover shipping, but they ain't gonna be free. I could still fix them if I really wanted to. And they just might recall them one day.
                      I never asked for free items : this is badcaps.net, not freecycle.net.
                      You never said you were selling them anyways. And I would have been willing to pay. Not anymore.
                      And if you could fix them if you really want to, then do it.
                      Recall? Just take a sit and wait
                      • Windows 10 Pro x64
                      • GeForce GT1050

Comment

THANK YOU!!! _ fixed it - TOTAL COST $8.49

Thanks folks. : I fixed the stupid TV.

I don't even really understand what a capictor does. I am a 46 year old woman - not afraid to fiddle - who took two intro college chemistry classes in 2000-2001.

I have read all the what is a capacitor stuff I could find - I ended up understanding that if it looks swelled/bulging or popped to replace it. I used the info on this site to brainlessly order new capacitors from digi-key. I ended up using 2 of them. I put the thing back together and fixed it in less than one hour (ok before I fixed it I opened it up to see if there were bad-caps- so maybe I spent 1 hr diagnosing an 1/2 hr fixing) _ I plugged the thing back in and IT WORKS!!!!

THANKS TO ALL OF YOU!!.

Here is my order. I ordered on Thusday night-had the parts on Saturday and am thrilled. DIGI-KEY is great - same state so fast arrival.

These guys are in small town in rural MN - so like all small town businesses - they need your business.

Shipment Date 1/14/2010 9:54:05 AM CT

Index Qty Ordered Qty Shipped Qty BO Qty Cancelled Part Number Manufacturer Part Number Customer Reference Unit Price USD Extended Price USD
                        1 1 1 0 0 P10230-ND EEU-FC1A222 0.90000 $0.90
                        2 1 1 0 0 P10225-ND EEU-FC1A102 0.59000 $0.59
                        3 2 2 0 0 P11223-ND EEU-FC1E102L 1.20000 $2.40
                        4 1 1 0 0 P10318-ND EEU-FC1H220 0.34000 $0.34
                        5 1 1 0 0 P10321-ND EEU-FC1H470 0.28000 $0.28
                        6 2 2 0 0 P10274-ND EEU-FC1E471L 0.53000 $1.06

Comment

I too only had to replace two Caps.

See photo:

SK-19H210S (10v 2200μF and 10v 1000μF)
                          bigger photo

took less than an hour!

**Wonder if it is worth buying a few on eBay and fixin' em and reselling... hmmm

Comment

Originally posted by sightpicture View Post

(snip photo link)

took less than an hour!

**Wonder if it is worth buying a few on eBay and fixin' em and reselling... hmmm
                            Bit early to get excited. Not quite that simple. When two are bulging, it's a fair bet that others are well on the way to failing if they haven't failed already. Two lessons to learn here:

1. When SOME have failed, ALL (except the biggie) should be replaced. Minimal extra cost, minimal extra effort. Selling the repaired monitors without this will sooner or later come around and bite you in the a***. It will NOT give you a good rep. with your buyers.

2. Buying them off ebay - apart from meaning outlay you need to build into your selling price - may well get you all the units with intractable issues that others have given up on, rather than the easy recap-only jobs.

I repair monitors (a) to keep them out of landfill, and (b) to give away to people with a need - community centres and those still struggling with CRT units. Even though I personally provide an implied warranty on these (if they break, I'll swap it out for another) I wouldn't sell them. But that's just my philosophy.
                            Friends don't let friends buy Samsung ....

Comment

Originally posted by sightpicture View Post

See photo:

took less than an hour!

There are plenty of others that have the same idea you do. I purchased a Westinghouse monitor on Ebay. Not only did it need caps, but it also had 4 burned out resistors, bad PWM chip and shorted FET. I finally got it working after spending quite a bit of time on it. Before you bid on ebay, try and figure how much you can sell the monitor for after you repair it. After you find out the cost of shipping, you'll probably find out there's not much room to make a descent bid or profit. And since a lot of this stuff is sold as is, you could get a monitor with pressure marks or other damage to the screen, which reduces it's value even more.

A better bet would be to try your luck on Craigslist. At least, you're probably dealing with the original owner and you can physically touch and look at it up close before you buy. Sure beats looking at a blurry picture and reading a vague description on ebay!

And Pedro's right on by saying that you should replace All the caps (except the large one). It will increase the realiability (meaning less "comebacks") and it won't cost that much more.
                              Last edited by jetadm123; 08-30-2010, 08:01 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by jetadm123 View Post

And Pedro's right on by saying that you should replace All the caps (except the large one). It will increase the realiability (meaning less "comebacks") and it won't cost that much more.
                                I agree. Normally the caps are from the same lot/specs, and if one fail the others will too.
                                • Windows 10 Pro x64
                                • GeForce GT1050

Comment

Hey...you guys really know your stuff on this website! I have only been a member since 10am this morning and already I know what I need to do to keep my westinghouse(same model as above) working. Thanks much!
                                  steve

Comment

I would like to thank everyone who provided information on this issue. I followed it all and successfully completed a repair on a tv. Bad caps all the way. I used the cap list to place an order from Digikey. Pulled apart the tv and replaced them as instructed. Works perfect! Thanks Badcaps!!!

Comment

Originally posted by deathamatend View Post
                                      I would like to thank everyone who provided information on this issue. I followed it all and successfully completed a repair on a tv. Bad caps all the way. I used the cap list to place an order from Digikey. Pulled apart the tv and replaced them as instructed. Works perfect! Thanks Badcaps!!!
                                      This is a very helpful site, I found that out last year when I needed help.
                                      Glad to hear that you are happy with these fine people on here! steve

Comment

Originally posted by dartguy340 View Post
                                        This is a very helpful site, I found that out last year when I needed help.
                                        Glad to hear that you are happy with these fine people on here! steve

Nice feeling, isn't it?
                                        • Windows 10 Pro x64
                                        • GeForce GT1050

Comment

Hey folks. It's been a couple 2-3 years and it's time again to decide on life or death for the Westinghouse 19" monitor. Since I replaced the caps last time, everything has worked out great. That was until this week.

This week we got AT&T Uverse. It's good, but for some reason the sound was really low on my tv so I was having to turn it all the way up to hear anything. Then, while I watching TV, the Emergency Broadcast System comes on and does the first loud alert and fwooom my tv goes out and I smell some roasted electronics.

Symptoms:
                                          - TV will not turn on, no LED when attempting to turn on
                                          - there was that smoldering electronics smell, but it's gone now

Noticed:
                                          - what looks like electrolytic leakage around ALL caps
                                          - some melted traces
                                          - some traces with bubbled up areas
                                          - blown fuse at F101

I'm pretty sure the caps are done for and there appears to be ancillary damage to the traces, fuse, god knows what else. FWIW the logic board looks fine although I haven't tested it with a new power board.

I took some pics to show yall what I'm seeing.

Given what you see, do you think it's worth attempting to fix the monitor again by repairing the power board? Would it be wiser to buy another power board that is not fried? Or is it time to let her rest in the hall of Westinghouse
                                          Attached Files
                                          Tinkerer, disassembler, and at times, fixer and reassembler.
                                          I always have parts left over. I consider this my optimization of flawed designs.
                                          You can check me out at my Affinity Properties site.

Comment

Working...
                                          X