• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Dell E153FPB Back Light problem - and another

top fix chap, a bit of 2 amp fuse wire done the trick. all hale brian h

Comment

Re: Dell E153FPB Back Light problem

Hello, my dell flat screen too has this problem. I have read the entire post, but it seems there ins't any particular solution. Can anybody point out which transistor is causing this

thanks

Comment

Originally posted by coolcurrent View Post
        Hello, my dell flat screen too has this problem. I have read the entire post, but it seems there ins't any particular solution. Can anybody point out which transistor is causing this

thanks
        1. The problem is not caused by a transistor. The problem is caused by bad solder joints on the transformers.
        2. There are two identical circuits for each inverter. Either (or both) transformer can have bad solder joints. Usually only one pair of transistors fail.
        3. You need an ohmmeter to determine which transistors are shorted.
        4. If you replace the transistors without resoldering the transformers the new transistors will also fail.
        5. Several different boards were used in each model of the monitor. Without determining which version you have, it is impossible to give you a location number.
        6. There are pictures of some of the different versions of the board in this thread. Since you were unable to identify which one you have, a picture of YOUR monitor will be necessary. See my signature for information on taking and attaching one.

PlainBill
        For a number of reasons, both health and personal, I will no longer be active on this board. Any PMs asking for assistance will be ignored.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

Comment

my monitor model is E153FPb. one unique thing about mine is that you have to whop the monitor on the back, then it will come on and work just fine. then after powering off for long hours, the cycle restarts again
          Last edited by coolcurrent; 11-10-2010, 06:55 AM.

Comment

my monitor model is E153FPb
            BFD!!! I had assumed you were smart enough to post in a thread that was related to your monitor. That STILL doesn't tell me what power supply / inverter board Dell happened to use in it!!! It is easy to identify the likely defective parts by looking at the board, I know of no way to do so without opening up the monitor.

PlainBill
            For a number of reasons, both health and personal, I will no longer be active on this board. Any PMs asking for assistance will be ignored.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

Comment

Originally posted by PlainBill View Post
              BFD!!! I had assumed you were smart enough to post in a thread that was related to your monitor. That STILL doesn't tell me what power supply / inverter board Dell happened to use in it!!! It is easy to identify the likely defective parts by looking at the board, I know of no way to do so without opening up the monitor.

PlainBill
              Here is the board picture
              Attached Files

Comment

Seems obvious to me, between reading the rest of this thread, the fact that if you whack the monitor it comes on, and from that (not terribly good) picture.

BAD SOLDER JOINTS
                36 Monitors, 3 TVs, 4 Laptops, 1 motherboard, 1 Printer, 1 iMac, 2 hard drive docks and one IP Phone repaired so far....

Comment

Good grief, couldn't you make it smaller? Fortunately I was able to match it to a real picture.

Large blue circles - transformers with bad solder joints. Remove as much solder as possible from the pins and resolder

Red circles - bipolar transistors (2SC5706 or 5707). Test and replace both if either transistor in a pair is shorted.

Small blue circles - FET transistors, one for each pair of bipolar transistors. Sometimes fail when the bipolar transistors fail. Test and replace if shorted.

Yellow circle. Picofuse. Test and replace if open.

PlainBill
                  Attached Files

Comment

The2 gray capacitors in the area of PlainBills Red circles are known for poor solder joints also. If you gently wiggle them sometimes you will see the solder move.
                    Al.
                    Whatever I do, I consider it a success, if in the end I am breathing, seeing, feeling and hearing!

Comment

thanks for the fast response, i'll do my homework and give feed back tomorrow.

without a sucker, which method is best for removing components with a soldering iron, i presently use brush with trimmed tips, but the brush seems to go bad quickly after few uses

Comment

Originally posted by PlainBill View Post
                        Good grief, couldn't you make it smaller? Fortunately I was able to match it to a real picture.

Large blue circles - transformers with bad solder joints. Remove as much solder as possible from the pins and resolder

Red circles - bipolar transistors (2SC5706 or 5707). Test and replace both if either transistor in a pair is shorted.

Small blue circles - FET transistors, one for each pair of bipolar transistors. Sometimes fail when the bipolar transistors fail. Test and replace if shorted.

Yellow circle. Picofuse. Test and replace if open.

PlainBill
                        Hello, thanks i solved the problem by just entirety de-soldering the two transformers you mentioned and re-soldering them again.

i will be watching it for a day or two

thanks

Comment

Hello, thanks i solved the problem by just entirety de-soldering the two transformers you mentioned and re-soldering them again.

i will be watching it for a day or two

thanks
                          Cool!!! You might also consider buying a lottery ticket. You might get lucky twice. Not only was the problem easy to fix, but nothing was damaged.

PlainBill

Comment

Hi Folks I'm New here I need help regarding may Dell E153FB.. I've been working on my monitor for almost 3 days.. I tried all i have read from this forum like changing the 4 transistors, resoldering the transformers and other components, and changing the fuse.. It's just that it still keep on turning on and off.. Any possible solution you can give guys? thanks in advance

Comment

Have you checked the "bulbs"?

If its turning on and then abruptly turning off then you might want to check the bulbs.

Comment

Originally posted by josh_zedlav View Post
                                It's just that it still keep on turning on and off.
                                How long does it stay on? 2 seconds? 2 minutes? 2 hours?
                                --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Originally posted by josh_zedlav View Post
                                  Hi Folks I'm New here I need help regarding may Dell E153FB.. I've been working on my monitor for almost 3 days.. I tried all i have read from this forum like changing the 4 transistors, resoldering the transformers and other components, and changing the fuse.. It's just that it still keep on turning on and off.. Any possible solution you can give guys? thanks in advance
                                  Caps?
                                  There are 10 kind of people in this world: those that understand binary, and those who don't.
                                  • ASUS ROG Maximus IX Code
                                  • Intel Core i5-7600K 3.8GHz
                                  • 16gb GSKILL TridentZ RGB DDR4-3200
                                  • 1 M2 SSD + 2 WD Blue 1TB (Mirrored)
                                  • Windows 10 Pro x64
                                  • GeForce GT1050
                                    2 x Acer KA240H + 1 Vewsonic VP2130 21 (a cap replacement job )

Comment

hi tnx for the reply.. can you tell what is the proper way of checking the bulbs? another problem i encountered is that I cannot push the button while the lcd is on this mode.. It only took seconds to turn on and off.. then long minutes on then off again

Comment

Hi all,

I just wanted to share my experience:

My father-in-law had a Dell 153FPB that 'died', i.e. had no backlight.
                                      I saw it flash a bit when I plugged it in so I decided to google a bit to see if these things had a common point of failure (usually bad caps in my experience).

Fortunately, I read this forum and that pointed my attention to the PF751 fuse, not very obvious for an amateur like me I must confess.

I measured great resistance over the PF751 fuse, an indication of a blown fuse, so I replaced it with a 2A slowblow fuse and lo and behold!
                                      We have a backlit image again! I hope the new fuse holds.

Thanks for the groundbreaking work,

Eric Benedikz

ps.saw this picture of the culprit:
                                      http://s807.photobucket.com/albums/y...g=Dell+E153FPB

Comment

Originally posted by rukirie View Post
                                        Hi all,

I just wanted to share my experience:

My father-in-law had a Dell 153FPB that 'died', i.e. had no backlight.
                                        I saw it flash a bit when I plugged it in so I decided to google a bit to see if these things had a common point of failure (usually bad caps in my experience).

Fortunately, I read this forum and that pointed my attention to the PF751 fuse, not very obvious for an amateur like me I must confess.

I measured great resistance over the PF751 fuse, an indication of a blown fuse, so I replaced it with a 2A slowblow fuse and lo and behold!
                                        We have a backlit image again! I hope the new fuse holds.

Thanks for the groundbreaking work,

Eric Benedikz

ps.saw this picture of the culprit:
                                        Important!!! Resolder all inverter transformers or you will be replacing the fuse again. And some transistors.

For future reference, note the links in my signature on the proper way to attach pictures.

PlainBill

Comment

Originally posted by rukirie View Post
                                          I measured great resistance over the PF751 fuse, an indication of a blown fuse, ...
                                          ???
                                          There are 10 kind of people in this world: those that understand binary, and those who don't.
                                          • ASUS ROG Maximus IX Code
                                          • Intel Core i5-7600K 3.8GHz
                                          • 16gb GSKILL TridentZ RGB DDR4-3200
                                          • 1 M2 SSD + 2 WD Blue 1TB (Mirrored)
                                          • Windows 10 Pro x64
                                          • GeForce GT1050
                                            2 x Acer KA240H + 1 Vewsonic VP2130 21 (a cap replacement job )

Comment

Working...
                                          X