Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Acer AL1916W Ab Monitor, DAC-19M008 - No Backlight, Recapped, Can see with Flashlight

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Acer AL1916W Ab Monitor, DAC-19M008 - No Backlight, Recapped, Can see with Flashlight

Monitor: Acer AL1916W Ab
    Inverter / Power Supply Board: DAC-19M008 BF Rev:01A
    Manufactured: 8/2006

Status: Monitor works, but CCFL Bulbs don't come on at all. I can see the LCD display functioning properly with a flashlight held up to the screen.

Prior Symptoms: The monitor began to cease to come out of it's sleep mode correctly, in doing so the power button's amber LED light (sleep / screen save mode) would change to green when coming out of sleep mode, but the CCFL lamps wouldn't always come on unless I recycled the power by pressing the button off then back on again. Over time, this symptom began to occur more and more frequently along with me beginning to have to power cycle the monitor multiple times before the lamps would "kick start". When they were on, they were full power and worked fine until either the monitor went into sleep mode, or when I turned it off, and turned it on the next morning. (If I were to turn it off and turn it back on again, while it was still "warm", there was no problem, but if enough time went by ....no dice). Eventually, it took upwards of around 15 to 30 power cycles to get them to "click on", so I could use the monitor for the day, but one day they just quit coming on at all.

I have since found this forum, read all articles pertaining to monitors (Acer, Westinghouse, etc.) with similar boards and problems, and still can't figure out the best way of finding out the problem.

Repairs: Replaced all cylindrical (CapXon) caps, some of which were bulging, (minus replacing the large CE106 cap) with Nichicon, Mallory, & IC replacement caps.

Replaced both MOSFETS (IC101, IC202), one of which was shorted.

Replaced blown Fuse (F200)

So far this has not helped any, the LCD still works, and the bulbs still do not illuminate. This is where my problem deviates a bit from most others.

Additional Info: For testing I am armed with only a digital multimeter and hope. With any luck, I may be fortunate to have someone guide me to what is thought to be the best areas to check from here. There are many things I don't yet understand. One of which being whether the condition of one bulb causing the board not to read the correct voltage or amperage and as a result possibly not lighting them all. At the moment I have no way of testing the bulbs, but I don't imagine they all 4 went out at once as they all would come on at once after previous coaxing by power cycling. ...things of this nature.

For anyone willing to give this a shot, I can give you readings off the board at your request. I'd really love to get this monitor repaired so I can start another chain of hand-me-down upgrades for others as I have bought a new one since. Thanks.

Schematic Link:

Attached Files
    Last edited by Anonymous333; 08-13-2010, 04:43 AM.

Re: Acer AL1916W Ab Monitor, DAC-19M008 - No Backlight, Recapped, Can see with Flashl

Check F102 also on the solder side of the board.
    The strong-minded rise to the challenge of their goals,the weak-minded BECOME HATERS

Comment

Re: Acer AL1916W Ab Monitor, DAC-19M008 - No Backlight, Recapped, Can see with Flashl

Good pictures, and a good summary of what you have done. The only detail I would have added is the series of caps you used; we'll get back to that later if necessary.

In addition the Dgtech's suggestion, check F200 to see if it's good.

Carefully check the voltage at C200 with power on.

Check the voltage at the top two pins of the connector to the logic board. They are brightness and On/Off control of the inverter. Do this while the monitor is hooked to an active video source, and again while it is in standby.

Check for any light from the CCFLs by cycling the power button in a dark room, or watching from the back. Certain failures can result in a very brief flash of light (.1 seconds).

What is IC 200?

PlainBill
      For a number of reasons, both health and personal, I will no longer be active on this board. Any PMs asking for assistance will be ignored.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

Comment

Re: Acer AL1916W Ab Monitor, DAC-19M008 - No Backlight, Recapped, Can see wFlashlight

Thanks for responding to my post. I have only now had time to sit down and check the monitor.

First off, I'd like to correct the error in my first post (for those possibly having this problem, and are reading this later) regarding the names of the MOSFETS, which should read (IC201, IC202).

Answers to previous questions:

- The Bulbs test OK.

I was able to check the bulbs of the monitor by plugging them into an inverter board from a separate Acer 1916W monitor that I had limited access to. (I had to temporarily rearrange the wire/connector pairing configuration as this was a later model board with a different layout, so I wasn't able to compare boards.) This test proved to be successful in illuminating fully all bulbs in the initial monitor. So we know for sure that the bulbs work.

- All Fuses test OK.

As mentioned in the first post, I had initially found Fuse F200 blown and had replaced it. (Later a careless testing mishap with the multi-meter resulted in me blowing Fuse F102, bridging it, and retested to make sure my LCD still worked when plugged into an active source and aided with a flashlight. It does.) So all remaining fuses F100, F101, F200, and bridge F102 are OK.

- Capacitor C200 = 18.25v (As measured negative to positive terminals of cap with the inverter board plugged in, but separated from logic board. Let me know if this makes a difference as I will remeasure.)

- Logic Board Connector Pins 15 & 16 Voltage:

Pin 15 ... 3.27v .... 0.006v

Pin 16 .. 0.018v .... 3.25v

- No response at all from CCFL's when power cycling.

- IC200 Label:

OZ9910GN
        53150891T
        0621B2

- New Capacitors:

.. Link .... V ...... μF ... Series . Measured V

CE104 .. 10v .. 1000μF .. PW ..... 5.01v

CE105 .. 10v .. 2200μF . KXM .... 5.01v

..C200 .. 25v ... 220μF .. SEK ... 18.25v
        CE101 .. 25v ... 220μF .. SEK ... 18.28v
        CE109 .. 25v ... 220μF .. SEK ... 14.17v

CE108 .. 25v ... 330μF ... PM ... 15.34v

CE102 .. 25v .. 1000μF .. CKE ... 18.27v
        CE103 .. 25v .. 1000μF .. CKE ... 18.27v

CE107 .. 50v ..... 22μF ... PW ... 10.43v
        --------------------------------------

CE106 . 400v .... 120μF ... AQ ... 168.5v .... [Original Large Taicon Capacitor]

*Note: At the time I ordered the new caps, I now realize that I believe I didn't put enough effort into better understanding the difference between them concerning ESR ratings and such. (I now know that I could have more easily searched elsewhere by better brands and series. ...i.e. Panasonic FC's) All the new caps retain the same Voltage and Capacitance rating as the originals. The links provided go to the page at which I bought them from; each having their own data sheet links. As far as I know, some of these could very well be, or be part of, the problem.

For completeness, I also provided the voltage measurement across each capacitor (with the inverter board plugged in, but disconnected from the logic board. Once again, I'm not sure if there are other variables that are missing in some instances by having it disconnected.) to show that they at least seem to be ...alive of sorts.

- Additional Info: While plugged in, constant high pitched tones can be heard from both the Transformer area and the Line Filter & Cap area of varying frequencies and intensities depending on whether or not the inverter is plugged into the logic board, whether the power button is on or off, or whether its in standby or not. All different tones. It's most quiet when its both turned on and the Green Light is on. Loudest in Standby mode. This could just be completely normal for this particular board configuration, but I thought I'd mention it as well.

Once again, I appreciate the help!

Inverter Board Schematic:

IC200 Chip Schematic:

Attached Files

Comment

Re: Acer AL1916W Ab Monitor, DAC-19M008 - No Backlight, Recapped, Can see wFlashlight

Another correction: I accidentally cut out the categories that make this make sense before the final posting:

- Logic Board Connector Pins 15 & 16 Voltage:

........... Active ... Standby

Pin 15 ... 3.27v .... 0.006v

Pin 16 .. 0.018v .... 3.25v

Comment

One other thing I would measure, is the resistance on the output ends of the Transformer,which feeds the Bulb output sockets.If one end is significantly different from the other, then this can cause your problem.

Comment

Thanks for the information and especially the links to the docs; it makes it much easier to help you.

Here's a few points I would like you to check. What are the voltages on IC200, pins 8, 12, and 13? And if you could verify that pin 8 changes state when the power button is pushed, that would also help.

PlainBill
              For a number of reasons, both health and personal, I will no longer be active on this board. Any PMs asking for assistance will be ignored.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

Comment

- The Backlight Inverter Transformer Secondaries measure 749 Ω and 752 Ω

- IC200 Voltage Results:

... IC200 ....... Power On .... Standby

Pin 8 (ENA) ..... 3.218v ....... 0.018v

Pin 12 (VREF) .. 2.345v ....... 0.001v

Pin 13 (VIN) .... 19.84v ....... 20.19v

Pin 8 does change state when the power button is pushed. When Powering On (Green Light) it goes from 0v to 3.2v for 3 seconds, back to 0v for 3 secs, back to 3.2v for 3 seconds, then into Standby (Amber Light) at 0v again and stays.

Schematic: Inverter Board - DELTA DAC-19M008.pdf
                Schematic: IC200 - OZ9910GN.pdf

Picture: Inverter Board - Top
                Picture: Inverter Board - Bottom
                Picture: Logic Board

Comment

Hi all,

Just wondered if you had any success with this Inverter ?
                  I have the exact same inverter with similar fault (CCFL not working)

I have also replaced both IC201 & IC202 as well 4 bulging caps.

I also replaced fuse F200 but as soon as i soldered it in place it popped straight away !

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated

Comment

No Shortcake1972, I'm still awaiting to see if anyone has any ideas myself. I imagine the source / cause of your problem may be different than mine as my board doesn't blow fuses.

Comment

Originally posted by shortcake1972 View Post
                      Hi all,

Just wondered if you had any success with this Inverter ?
                      I have the exact same inverter with similar fault (CCFL not working)

I have also replaced both IC201 & IC202 as well 4 bulging caps.

I also replaced fuse F200 but as soon as i soldered it in place it popped straight away !

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated
                      You have a short. Maybe one of the replacement parts is shorted, another part is shorted, or you created a short by bridging two points when soldering.

PlainBill

Comment

Originally posted by shortcake1972 View Post
                        You didn't post a picture, but if your fuse is next to the AC adapter, check your bridge rectifier. See

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showth...t=Acer+AL1916W

for a similar problem.
                        --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Inverter IC 0Z9910GN's VREF should be fixed at +5v.

Comment

Monitor Is Fixed!!!

Thank-you all for your replies! My monitor works once again. I ordered a new replacement for the OZ9910GN as ivanlee05 had pointed out that the original chip's VREF measurement wasn't correct. This did the trick.

For those ever having to replace this chip for this model/version of monitor, know that after unsoldering it, that it is glued to the board. I used pliers to pull it off and in doing so I damaged a couple of traces which required jumping when installing the new chip. In retrospect I should've been more careful. Regardless, it now works just as it once did.

Hopefully this monitor will last a while longer considering the newly installed Caps, Fets, and Inverter IC. (Which is multiple times cheaper than a new one.) Thanks again to all who posted on this thread and the many other threads I've learned from to help with this.

Comment

Re: Monitor Is Fixed!!!

Originally posted by Anonymous333 View Post
                              Thank-you all for your replies! My monitor works once again. I ordered a new replacement for the OZ9910GN as ivanlee05 had pointed out that the original chip's VREF measurement wasn't correct. This did the trick.

For those ever having to replace this chip for this model/version of monitor, know that after unsoldering it, that it is glued to the board. I used pliers to pull it off and in doing so I damaged a couple of traces which required jumping when installing the new chip. In retrospect I should've been more careful. Regardless, it now works just as it once did.

Hopefully this monitor will last a while longer considering the newly installed Caps, Fets, and Inverter IC. (Which is multiple times cheaper than a new one.) Thanks again to all who posted on this thread and the many other threads I've learned from to help with this.
                              Thanks for the feedback - and the warning about the inverter controller.

PlainBill

Comment

i have the same problem...where did u get the parts...i need f-200..ic 201 and 202...and the OZ9910GN

later

Comment

i will like to know where i can get the 0z9910gn, i have the same problem, i am in Trinidad, maybe i can get from a electronic store in miami, my email is rgregoey@tstt.net.tt, thanks for your help in advance.
                                  greg

Comment

I Googled buy OZ9910GN and got a number of hits, including this one. The usual disclaimers apply - no financial interest in the seller. Interestingly, this appears to be eBay's Philippines site, but the seller is in Fort Lauderdale, FL, USA

PlainBill

Comment

Thanks Plainbill, will check it out. greg

Comment

These are very good

http://www.dalbani.co.uk/index.php

have no interest in seller

Comment

Working...
                                        X