Badcaps.net Forum
Go Back   Badcaps Forums > Troubleshooting Hardware & Devices and Electronics Theory > Troubleshooting Computer Displays
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-13-2009, 03:03 AM   #81
Nama
Senior Member
 
Nama's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
City & State: Denver, CO
Posts: 117
Default Re: Mag LT916s Model 900p 19" LCD dropping like flies

Yes is was a Small bit of solder You are spot on thank you.
Nama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 10:05 AM   #82
PlainBill
Badcaps Veteran
 
PlainBill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
City & State: Phoenix, AZ
My Country: USA
Line Voltage: 120VAC 60Hz
I'm a: Hobbyist
Posts: 7,013
Default Re: Mag LT916s Model 900p 19" LCD dropping like flies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nama
Yes is was a Small bit of solder You are spot on thank you.
I have a lighted magnifier I use to examine all solder work for errors. It tends to reduce embarrassing mistakes that would otherwise prove to be damaging.

PlainBill
__________________
For a number of reasons, both health and personal, I will no longer be active on this board. Any PMs asking for assistance will be ignored.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.
PlainBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 12:19 PM   #83
chronJob
New Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 8
Default Re: Mag LT916s Model 900p 19" LCD dropping like flies

My screen comes on bright for 2 seconds just like everyone else, so I doubt it is my CCFL's but all my caps look perfectly fine. they are the crap ones so i guess iwill replace them anyway, im headed to the 'shack now. can someone please verify that the transistor on the bottom input IC board #13 which has 3 pins only the two outer pins are soldered to the board the middle one is cut, but the soldering job on the IC undernieth it does look like it was from the factory and done by a machine so this is probably suppose to be like this. part 1084-18ce 493c3

I have heard my caps could be bad even though they are not bulging and oozing... going up in voltage from 25v to 35v on the 470 f caps is a bonus right? even if "going-out" CCFL's were pulling too much power?
chronJob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 12:34 PM   #84
EGuevarae
Badcaps Veteran
 
EGuevarae's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
City & State: Chiriaco Summit, CA - near the AZ-CA Border
My Country: USA
Line Voltage: 120VAC 60Hz
I'm a: Hobbyist Tech
Posts: 1,308
Default Re: Mag LT916s Model 900p 19" LCD dropping like flies

Quote:
Originally Posted by chronJob
My screen comes on bright for 2 seconds just like everyone else, so I doubt it is my CCFL's but all my caps look perfectly fine. they are the crap ones so i guess iwill replace them anyway, im headed to the 'shack now. can someone please verify that the transistor on the bottom input IC board #13 which has 3 pins only the two outer pins are soldered to the board the middle one is cut, but the soldering job on the IC undernieth it does look like it was from the factory and done by a machine so this is probably suppose to be like this. part 1084-18ce 493c3

I have heard my caps could be bad even though they are not bulging and oozing... going up in voltage from 25v to 35v on the 470 f caps is a bonus right? even if "going-out" CCFL's were pulling too much power?
Welcome to Badcaps.net.
Don't go to the Shack to buy caps. They are not suitable for this kind of applications. Also, the chip you are describing with just two pins soldered, must have the back of the IC (kind of heatsink) soldered. That is the same as the middle pin. A pic would help you to get the help you need more often than not.
__________________
There are 10 kind of people in this world: those that understand binary, and those who don't.
  • ASUS ROG Maximus IX Code
  • Intel Core i5-7600K 3.8GHz
  • 16gb GSKILL TridentZ RGB DDR4-3200
  • 1 M2 SSD + 2 WD Blue 1TB (Mirrored)
  • Windows 10 Pro x64
  • GeForce GT1050
    2 x Acer KA240H + 1 Vewsonic VP2130 21 (a cap replacement job )
EGuevarae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 12:58 PM   #85
chronJob
New Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 8
Default Re: Mag LT916s Model 900p 19" LCD dropping like flies

will these caps I got from radio shack at least get me up and running to make sure this is the problem. I am impatient, lol. any other type of store that would sell caps locally in a metropolitan area? I live in kansas city. picture is coming, let me get some more lighting and ill take one with my phone. thanx for the quick reply
chronJob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 01:33 PM   #86
EGuevarae
Badcaps Veteran
 
EGuevarae's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
City & State: Chiriaco Summit, CA - near the AZ-CA Border
My Country: USA
Line Voltage: 120VAC 60Hz
I'm a: Hobbyist Tech
Posts: 1,308
Default Re: Mag LT916s Model 900p 19" LCD dropping like flies

Quote:
Originally Posted by chronJob
will these caps I got from radio shack at least get me up and running to make sure this is the problem. I am impatient, lol. any other type of store that would sell caps locally in a metropolitan area? I live in kansas city. picture is coming, let me get some more lighting and ill take one with my phone. thanx for the quick reply
I guess as a test material, they MAY BE used. If the specs differ a lot from the originals, I can't tell if they will last or if the unit will work as intented, but as a test to see if only the caps are your problem, I guess you can use them. As for parts, order from Digikey.com if you post the info on your caps, in no time someone will tell you what replacement parts you should buy.
EGuevarae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 02:04 PM   #87
chronJob
New Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 8
Default Re: Mag LT916s Model 900p 19" LCD dropping like flies

My caps look ok...?




this looks odd though, but looks almost factory... ?


chronJob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 02:17 PM   #88
chronJob
New Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 8
Default Re: Mag LT916s Model 900p 19" LCD dropping like flies

BTW the radio shack brand are XICON the match the 470uf rating, and are 35v instead of 25v. it doesnt give a temperature rating but says 20%
chronJob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 03:07 PM   #89
chronJob
New Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 8
Default Re: Mag LT916s Model 900p 19" LCD dropping like flies

temprature rating says up to 85 C on the package, guess i should install a CPU fan on the back too. does tolerance have anything to do with its ESR rating?
chronJob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 03:20 PM   #90
chronJob
New Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 8
Default Re: Mag LT916s Model 900p 19" LCD dropping like flies

I just noticed one other thing on the inverter board, in the center, grounded to the heat sync looks like a transistor, (3 prongs at the bottom) when i flip the board over the 3 connections look a little tarnished and not shiny like all of the other IC connections. ???I can post a pic of that too if you want?
chronJob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 03:30 PM   #91
EGuevarae
Badcaps Veteran
 
EGuevarae's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
City & State: Chiriaco Summit, CA - near the AZ-CA Border
My Country: USA
Line Voltage: 120VAC 60Hz
I'm a: Hobbyist Tech
Posts: 1,308
Default Re: Mag LT916s Model 900p 19" LCD dropping like flies

Quote:
Originally Posted by chronJob
My caps look ok...?
Yes but they can go without visual indication

Quote:
Originally Posted by chronJob
this looks odd though, but looks almost factory... ?
It is OK. Center pin & back of IC are the same. If you look up teh datasheet for the IC using the numbers on it you will see what I mean.
EGuevarae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 03:43 PM   #92
chronJob
New Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 8
Default Re: Mag LT916s Model 900p 19" LCD dropping like flies

these are the pics to the trnasistor... (i think the flat black thing with 3 progs at bottom,) on back of board the solder points are discolored where as all other are shiny

http://jason.dominatesthe.net/img/a1.jpg
http://jason.dominatesthe.net/img/a2.jpg
chronJob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 10:27 AM   #93
chronJob
New Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 8
Default Re: Mag LT916s Model 900p 19" LCD dropping like flies

Great News!!!! It works!!!
None of my caps showed sign of excesive heat, bulging or oozing...
First I replaced the 6 470uF Fuhjyuu 25v caps with the radio shack Xicon 470uF 35v caps. And still only powered on for 2 seconds. So then I proceeded to replace the other Fuhjyuu caps (the 2 x 100uF and the 220uF) with 3 more Xicons, and now it runs perfectly. Thanks so much for the help, I had bought this monitor on craigs list with out testing it first and spent $50, im glad it wasn't a total loss, I ended up spending another $20 on caps and a soldering iron but it was worth it.
chronJob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 03:30 PM   #94
EGuevarae
Badcaps Veteran
 
EGuevarae's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
City & State: Chiriaco Summit, CA - near the AZ-CA Border
My Country: USA
Line Voltage: 120VAC 60Hz
I'm a: Hobbyist Tech
Posts: 1,308
Post Re: Mag LT916s Model 900p 19" LCD dropping like flies

Quote:
Originally Posted by chronJob
So then I proceeded to replace the other Fuhjyuu caps (the 2 x 100uF and the 220uF) with 3 more Xicons, and now it runs perfectly.
Those might be C10 & C11. They are on the inverter side.
Keep in mind that while your caps work they might not endure a long time because they are not the specs they should be. if it ever fails again, now you know what part(s) to blame.
Also, Fuhjyuu caps are a change-on-sight part in that applications.
It was fun and very didactic, and the feeling to bring back from the dead something is great, right?
"cheers:
EGuevarae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 10:37 PM   #95
created2praise
New Member
 
created2praise's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 4
Default Re: Mag LT916s Model 900p 19" LCD dropping like flies

hi folks,
I am just a newbie here.
Nice to find a forum like this since I have a MAG LCD.
Same problems, backlight ON for few minutes then blank.

Since browsing this page tells CAP issues, I replaced all but one 100uF 400V.
I checked and it run good for 5 hours. Now, After a day.. symptoms were the same again. Think I need also to replace the 100uF 400V cap. Hope it solves the issue.

Be happy if you have better suggestions and explanation why the thing happened.

Best regards to all!!
created2praise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 10:48 PM   #96
EGuevarae
Badcaps Veteran
 
EGuevarae's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
City & State: Chiriaco Summit, CA - near the AZ-CA Border
My Country: USA
Line Voltage: 120VAC 60Hz
I'm a: Hobbyist Tech
Posts: 1,308
Question Re: Mag LT916s Model 900p 19" LCD dropping like flies

Quote:
Originally Posted by created2praise
hi folks,
I am just a newbie here.
Nice to find a forum like this since I have a MAG LCD.
Same problems, backlight ON for few minutes then blank.

Since browsing this page tells CAP issues, I replaced all but one 100uF 400V.
I checked and it run good for 5 hours. Now, After a day.. symptoms were the same again. Think I need also to replace the 100uF 400V cap. Hope it solves the issue.

Be happy if you have better suggestions and explanation why the thing happened.

Best regards to all!!
Unless the unit has been on a power surge situation, it rarely fails (regarding the 400v cap). What did you use as replacements?
EGuevarae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 11:35 PM   #97
created2praise
New Member
 
created2praise's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 4
Default Re: Mag LT916s Model 900p 19" LCD dropping like flies

Thanks for the response. I have used Robicon Caps as replacement which I bought at a local electronic shop. What do you mean power surge? Old 100uF 400V was of Xunda caps which I red was of bad quality.
created2praise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 11:42 PM   #98
EGuevarae
Badcaps Veteran
 
EGuevarae's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
City & State: Chiriaco Summit, CA - near the AZ-CA Border
My Country: USA
Line Voltage: 120VAC 60Hz
I'm a: Hobbyist Tech
Posts: 1,308
Default Re: Mag LT916s Model 900p 19" LCD dropping like flies

Quote:
Originally Posted by created2praise
Thanks for the response. I have used Robicon Caps as replacement which I bought at a local electronic shop. What do you mean power surge? Old 100uF 400V was of Xunda caps which I red was of bad quality.
Hope Robicon is Rubycon spelled incorrectly and not an actual brand.You forgot to give the series also.
Power surge? like an electric storm... lights out, then back, and monitor is dead. You didn't say that, so I assume your unit is not in that case ...
EGuevarae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 11:48 PM   #99
created2praise
New Member
 
created2praise's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 4
Default Re: Mag LT916s Model 900p 19" LCD dropping like flies

I'm not quite sure regarding the brand of CAP Robicon if its from Rubycon. It is not because of power surge. First symptom was the "2 seconds problem" that is why I chose to replace CAPS. Is it worth replacing the 400V? or is there any sorce of the problem that I need to check?
created2praise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 11:56 PM   #100
EGuevarae
Badcaps Veteran
 
EGuevarae's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
City & State: Chiriaco Summit, CA - near the AZ-CA Border
My Country: USA
Line Voltage: 120VAC 60Hz
I'm a: Hobbyist Tech
Posts: 1,308
Default Re: Mag LT916s Model 900p 19" LCD dropping like flies

Quote:
Originally Posted by created2praise
I'm not quite sure regarding the brand of CAP Robicon if its from Rubycon. It is not because of power surge. First symptom was the "2 seconds problem" that is why I chose to replace CAPS. Is it worth replacing the 400V? or is there any sorce of the problem that I need to check?
Leave that big boy alone. POst a pic of both sides of your board to see if something is suspicious ....
EGuevarae is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



Badcaps.net Technical Forums 2003 - 2020
Powered by vBulletin ®
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:13 AM.
Did you find this forum helpful?