Vox mini 3 amp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Vox mini 3 amp

Thanks so much - that's about what I had figured on doing. As it turns out, instead of spending $ on another vox and time tearing it apart, I found an out-of-production unit by Line6 (Pocket Pod express) on eBay that looks like it has about the same functionality in an even smaller footprint. There are a few others as well, some much more compact DigiTech units that probably sound better and have way more programming options, but for $40 and no extra time fiddling I had to try the older Line 6. But I'll definitely keep you in mind if my Vox power circuit blows

Comment

As it turns out the line 6 was crap, so I sent it back and went with the original plan. I could have soldered a wire to a volume pot from the headphone jack, but wanted to keep everything so it could be put back easily, so I just bought an external volume pot and it works fine. Bought a bypass foot switch so I can calibrate it to dry sound (and switch back and forth) and I'm very happy! The vox Mini3 makes a fantastic tabletop amp model/effects box. I did put a 1/4" jack on the speaker wires, and soldered a wire with 1 1/4" plug into the now amp-less combo cabinet, so I can also use it stand alone as a tiny stack. I'll post a pic some time.

Comment

One thing to be aware of, if you're not already, is be careful about what you connect to the speaker output. Both speaker wires are above ground potential and if you plug the speaker output into anything with a ground on one side you'll pop the O/P stage!

Comment

Hello Midibob. I hope you're not getting tired of requests for your Vox Mini3 daughterboards. I'd like to get one if you have any available. I've got an amp with the all too familiar symptoms... no output from the speaker but the headphone jack passes signal. Thank you!

Comment

PM sent.

Comment

minibob, I'm in the Taiwan and looking at the cost of shipping/purchase of one of your daughter boards for the mini3. I have the equipment to do SMD。

Thanks in advance,
              -ArnoldLai

Comment

Hi Arnold,
                Unfortunately I've just recently sold the last one. I've not got any plans of making more unless there is at least 5 requests. Keep an eye on this page for any updates.
                I'll send you a PM.

Cheers
                Bob

Comment

Originally posted by midibob View Post
                  Hi Arnold,
                  Unfortunately I've just recently sold the last one. I've not got any plans of making more unless there is at least 5 requests. Keep an eye on this page for any updates.
                  I'll send you a PM.

Cheers
                  Bob
                  HI Bob
                  got it,Thanks for you quickly reply, I'll Try to order IC from TI store
                  Last edited by arnoldlai; 10-30-2019, 08:22 AM.

Comment

Hi Midibob, I need to order one of your daughterbaords. Are they still available?

Comment

Hi, unfortunately I don't have any more made at present. If I get more requests I will do another batch but demand has tailed off over the last year or so.

I'll send you a PM.

Comment

Hello can you email details of daughter board aquisition pls (t+c incl)sounds promising!

Comment

Message sent.

Comment

Hi midibob,
                            I am located in Argentina and came across your post looking for info on how to repair my mini3 which has the exact same problem. I am interested in your daughterboard schematics. Any chance you could help me with that?

Thanks!

Comment

I doubt very much I'll be making any more of these so I'm going to publish the installation instructions for anyone who wants to make their own. There is no schematic as such as it's so simple. It is based on the SSM2305 and the schematic is in the application notes.

If you do make your own, post a pic here for others to see.

Stay well
                              Bob
                              Attached Files

Comment

I really appreciate you opening this up for us.

Thank you very much!

Comment

Hi there!

I went ahead and tried to create the schematics for the daughter board circuit...

I am still learning electronics and it was not as simple/easy to me

Does this look accurate to you? Does pin 6 (VDD) connect to 1002 resistor and 10uF capacitor in series?

Thanks!
                                  Attached Files

Comment

How's this?
                                    Attached Files

Comment

Ah...that totally makes sense. I thought shutdown was unused...

Thank you!

Comment

Boy I wish I had the same problem as everyone else. When I plug my adapter into my mini3, nothing happens. I took it all apart, plugged the adapter in. I get 12VDC into the (small)1st PCB, but I don't get 12VDC out to the on/off (standby) switch. I believe my problem is in the small pcb board. Any suggestions?
                                        Thank you

Comment

Hi, not looked at these for a long time so I can't remember what was on the small board? I'm thinking there was just a diode to prevent reverse voltage being applied but I don't have a unit easily accesible to check. Post a pic then it should be easy to see what might be wrong.

Comment

Working...
                                          X