Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

why you backup your data.

Because of human error.
    The connector to my 1tb drive pulled out a year and a half ago and took some traces with it, I soldered on a new connector using hair thin wires to reconnect the SMT capacitors and connector. Today I get a new hotswap bay and decide to put that drive in the hotswap bay. When I removed the drive the connector stayed in the bay and I lost the SMT caps. No more data from that drive! So I get to now untar the backup into a 2tb drive and fix the fstab. Moral of the story: backup your data. If it wasn't for a backup I did a week ago I would be in deep shit.
    Things I've fixed: anything from semis to crappy Chinese $2 radios, and now an IoT Dildo....

"Dude, this is Wyoming, i hopped on and sent 'er. No fucking around." -- Me

Excuse me while i do something dangerous

You must have a sad, sad boring life if you hate on people harmlessly enjoying life with an animal costume.

Sometimes you need to break shit to fix it.... Thats why my lawnmower doesn't have a deadman switch or engine brake anymore

Follow the white rabbit.

Re: why you backup your data.

Worst case you could buy another identical hard drive and use the PCB.

Damn I hate the SATA connectors, they feel so flimsy.

Comment

Always been a staunch believer in backups... My music collection is backed up in 3 different off-site locations. The site stuff is backed up in similar fashion.
      <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
      Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
      http://folding.stanford.edu/
      Team : 49813
      Join in!!
      Team Stats

Comment

Originally posted by SuperDuty View Post
        Worst case you could buy another identical hard drive and use the PCB.

Damn I hate the SATA connectors, they feel so flimsy.
        if i did that i would also have to transfer a 256k SOIC8 eeprom from the old board to the new one. no biggie, but with a spare 2Tb lying around its not worth it IMHO. Though, i might try it if the price of this model drops another $20.

Originally posted by Topcat View Post
        Always been a staunch believer in backups... My music collection is backed up in 3 different off-site locations. The site stuff is backed up in similar fashion.
        Here here.
        Last edited by goontron; 12-21-2014, 11:04 AM.
        Things I've fixed: anything from semis to crappy Chinese $2 radios, and now an IoT Dildo....

You must have a sad, sad boring life if you hate on people harmlessly enjoying life with an animal costume.

Sometimes you need to break shit to fix it.... Thats why my lawnmower doesn't have a deadman switch or engine brake anymore

Follow the white rabbit.

Comment

I have lots of backups of my minecraft server and website. it runs from a 2tb drive. its backed up every day onto another 1tb drive and they are then copied to a network drive and the 1tb drive is compressed and backed up onto a 500gb drive. probably overkill but i cant have enough backups especially for data that changes 24/7

Comment

Originally posted by blasterboomer View Post
            I have lots of backups of my minecraft server and website. it runs from a 2tb drive. its backed up every day onto another 1tb drive and they are then copied to a network drive and the 1tb drive is compressed and backed up onto a 500gb drive. probably overkill but i cant have enough backups especially for data that changes 24/7
            minecraft server. there was one kid who took a web page design class the same time i did, and when he tried to learn php, HTML(5), and CSS he got so frustrated he dropped out. so for the record a "Minecraft server" is not a real "server" per say.... but enough anal retentiveness.

Follow the white rabbit.

Comment

Because I hate hard drive death, that's about it.
              Gotten so bad that I run a home RAID5. But in recent times my disk death rate has dropped so much that it may be overkill. In the 1990s-2000s I just got tired of dead disks...

Comment

I have all of my somewhat important data on a RAID 1 array of two 500GB drives, which is then backed up to a third 500GB drive once a week.

Comment

Ah... yeah the RAID5 is 4+1x500GB disks. The backup is to a 2TB disk. Yes, RAID is not backup.
                  The 2TB backup saved me once and in recent times due to ... human error. Errant rm xyz * (with the space) and glad I had that 2TB disk as backing store.

Comment

one of my servers runs virtual machines for my VPN, security monitoring and somtimes when i experiment and learn a new OS. also have an intel atom board running as a firewall, a 3tb network storage drive. and an unused via c7 1ghz mini itx mobo (because i cant think of any uses for it)

Comment

Working...
                    X