Reballing ASUS R9 270X DirectCU II

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reballing ASUS R9 270X DirectCU II

Picked up this card for $26. Still had the warranty sticker on its back. It showed video but crashed as soon as it would enter Windows.

And yes, it did work. And with a custom fan curve it delivers exceptionally low temps (53C load, in a case with average ventilation) with still being reasonably quiet, with the fans running at around 3000 rpm. The stock fan settings were erring a bit too much on the quiet side, with a 65C typical load temperature. You'll see an update on this soon with more in-depth testing as i'll be putting it to work.

I'd also bought a Gigabyte 270 (non-X), but that had been messed with before (and cleaned thoroughly on the GPU side - naughty!) and turned out to have a dead GPU, but for this price, that's still worth it for the heatsink and poly caps alone.
    Attached Files
    Originally posted by PeteS in CA
    Remember that by the time consequences of a short-sighted decision are experienced, the idiot who made the bad decision may have already been promoted or moved on to a better job at another company.
    A working TV? How boring!

Re: Reballing ASUS R9 270X DirectCU II

Really nice repair job!
    "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

Hmmm, so a reball job fixed it? That's good to hear.

I have a R9 290 (Asus DirectCU II as well), and it crashes only when the video drivers load (the one I mentioned it in my Compaq Presario v6000 thread). You reckon I could get it working with a reflow instead of trying to flash the BIOS with higher core voltages? I have a feeling that one is dead due to electron migration, as it was never stressed with games - I asked the owner, who didn't even know he had it in his PC or what it did, lol.

Grabbed it for $20 from him (probably could have gotten it for $10 even, as he was going to throw it away). I figured I would be a bit more generous, though. And $20 still isn't that much, as I can sell it for almost twice that much on eBay in "AS-IS" condition.

Comment

Sweet repair job Th3_uN1Qu3
        I think so Momaka. BGAs don't need excessive heat to fail just hot cold cycling and some unluck. Granted there's more expansion with more heat and a greater chance of failure but even without gaming it will see some.

Comment

Originally posted by momaka View Post
          I have a R9 290 (Asus DirectCU II as well), and it crashes only when the video drivers load (the one I mentioned it in my Compaq Presario v6000 thread). You reckon I could get it working with a reflow instead of trying to flash the BIOS with higher core voltages?
          I am going to say yes, like i posted in the other thread as well.
          Originally posted by PeteS in CA
          Remember that by the time consequences of a short-sighted decision are experienced, the idiot who made the bad decision may have already been promoted or moved on to a better job at another company.
          A working TV? How boring!

Comment

Working...
          X