Thank you to the guys at HEGE supporting Badcaps [ HEGE ] [ HEGE DEX Chart ]

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Issue with Westinghouse 19" LCD Monitor (large pics)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Issue with Westinghouse 19" LCD Monitor (large pics)

gfray,

so i dont get threads confused. The power mosfets that were in my westinghouse board are now in the acer board (see this thread for measurement results).

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showth...632#post100632

Currently there are "no" power mosfets in the westinghouse board. I took them out to try and trouble shoot the other board.

Comment

The FETs won't have to be in circuit to check for this short. Put one probe on the through hole for the gate of FET 1. Put the second probe on the through hole for the gate of FET 2. Is it zero resistance? Does it form a diode in either direction?

Also, are you sure the caps are correctly polarized?

Comment

see the link mentioned in previous post for measurements.

Yes, i have double and triple check polarity of caps that i replaced.

Comment

I'd like to thank you all for the information. I have the same Westinghouse 19 LCD. The power supply is slightly different, newer I guess. The part number was the same except it is a newer version (different caps with large heat sinks on the MOSFETs). I replaced all 4 caps on the board and plugged it in and back to life it came. Thanks to all of your info.

Comment

Hey there. I came across this forum when I took the same monitor from a family member to see what was wrong with it. I can tell that the caps are bad as 3 of the caps are raised (blown). My simple question is this. I have never soldered before but can get my hands on a soldering iron. So with being a newb at this would it be better for me to buy the caps and attempt to fix the issue that way or to just buy a new board from Discount-Merchant? It would take about 4-6 weeks to get it from them. The only issue with that would be that it would still have the same CapXon caps.

I believe the caps would cost be about $10 and the entire board from DM would cost $35+shipping!

Thanks

Comment

I was in your shoes about 1 month ago having never soldered and now I have repaired 5 monitors and counting.

If you can borrow the iron, 3 caps will definitely cost less than $5 if you can get them locally or via online reseller.

Just watch some youtube videos on how to solder. My favourite is (you don't have to buy the HD version)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I_NU2ruzyc4

AND you get the satisfaction of fixing something.

PS. Make sure you get the polarity correct when replacing caps.

Originally posted by Wolfman
              I can tell that the caps are bad as 3 of the caps are raised (blown). My simple question is this. I have never soldered before but can get my hands on a soldering iron. So with being a newb at this would it be better for me to buy the caps and attempt to fix the issue that way or to just buy a new board from Discount-Merchant? It would take about 4-6 weeks to get it from them. The only issue with that would be that it would still have the same CapXon caps.

I believe the caps would cost be about $10 and the entire board from DM would cost $35+shipping!

Thanks
              --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Thanks! I will give it a shot. I just ordered the caps. Had to find replacements for the 470uf that were out of stock. I will post the results...been sitting on this for over a month now!

Comment

What brand caps did you order? Did you ensure the size fits your monitor since they come in different diameters and heights?

Thanks! I will give it a shot. I just ordered the caps. Had to find replacements for the 470uf that were out of stock. I will post the results...been sitting on this for over a month now!
                  --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Originally posted by retiredcaps
                    What brand caps did you order? Did you ensure the size fits your monitor since they come in different diameters and heights?

I ordered the caps previously mentioned on here by someone with the same board as mine.

Comment

I ordered the caps previously mentioned on here by someone with the same board as mine.
                      Post back the results, my friend.
                      There are 10 kind of people in this world: those that understand binary, and those who don't.
                      • ASUS ROG Maximus IX Code
                      • Intel Core i5-7600K 3.8GHz
                      • 16gb GSKILL TridentZ RGB DDR4-3200
                      • 1 M2 SSD + 2 WD Blue 1TB (Mirrored)
                      • Windows 10 Pro x64
                      • GeForce GT1050
                        2 x Acer KA240H + 1 Vewsonic VP2130 21 (a cap replacement job )

Comment

Originally posted by eguevarae
                        Post back the results, my friend.
                        i definitely will. The CAPs are on their way so I will work on it next week and let you know!

Comment

Hey guys , new here but I have the same problem with my Westinghouse LV2046.

I found a guy on ebay that sells replacement boards for the DAC-19M005 :

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=STRK:MEWNX:IT

$45 bucks with free shipping is worth a shot to get my $350 monitor going again !

I have nothing to do with the seller but this might help the other soldering challenged people

I ordered one and it will be here tomorrow. Took 6 days from China to New York

Ill post back and let everyone know if it works. I have one small concern though. My power board has no audio , the replacement one does. Not sure if I have to remove that stuff or if I can just leave it.

Last edited by r00t4rd3d; 06-02-2010, 09:30 AM.

Comment

r00t4rd3d

It is probably OK if you leave the audio section on but you may have to unsolder the green jack so it does not interfere with the mounting.

I have seen this type of board has many versions. Just check if those pin headers on the right line up the same distance as yours.

Comment

r00t4rd3d,

Why don't you try to repair your board? Could be much less that 45 bucks! Post a picture so we can ID for you.

Where is your location? Please update your profile so we can help you source parts.

Comment

Thanks for the replies. I have a DAC-19M005. I tried desoldering the parts off it. I do not think I did a good job so I ordered the ebay board.

Here is what mine looks like :

Comment

Yup common issue FET shorted and took out the inverter supply fuse.

Resolder all inverter transformer pins then replace fuse and FETs.

Looks pretty banged up but still salvageable.

On the lifted FET pad scrape the lacquer off the trace it connected to until you see copper then tin it with solder. When installing the new FET bend the pin right over the scraped tinned area and solder.

I've restored traces obliterated by SMD devices shorting so I'm used to this sort of thing.

You'll also need to repair that trace under the fuse that's ripped scrape on each side and solder a jumper wire be sure to bend it around the replaced SMD fuse and not go under it.

As far as inverter boards go this one is pretty bare bones and straight forward to repair.
                                  Last edited by Krankshaft; 06-02-2010, 02:49 PM.
                                  Elements of the past and the future combining to make something not quite as good as either.

Comment

I am not planning on trying to fix that board. Beyond my abilities. A new one will be here tomorrow. If anyone wants my old board , the one pictured , Ill gladly mail it to you.

Comment

Originally posted by r00t4rd3d
                                      I am not planning on trying to fix that board. Beyond my abilities. A new one will be here tomorrow. If anyone wants my old board , the one pictured , Ill gladly mail it to you.
                                      I'm in..!!!
                                      There are 10 kind of people in this world: those that understand binary, and those who don't.
                                      • Windows 10 Pro x64
                                      • GeForce GT1050

Comment

Originally posted by r00t4rd3d
                                        I'm in..!!!
                                        • Windows 10 Pro x64
                                        • GeForce GT1050

Comment

Does that mean you want it ?

Is it just me or does think forum stick alot ? If I click the reply button or post button it just hangs....

Comment

Working...
                                          X