Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Suggestions for a 4096x2160 @ 120Hz DP1.4 monitor

Hi!

I am trouble locating a high end monitor. I want one that supports 4096x2160 @ 120Hz native resolution. It'd be nice if it also supported 5120x2880 @ 60Hz but that is not a requirement.

It should have at least one DisplayPort 1.4 connector.

I want it to display colours true to life. I know IPS monitors do this, but there might be newer technologies now that surpass IPS.

It should not be curved.

I was hoping between 24" through maybe 32" for diagonal size.

Could anyone suggest a monitor that fits my requirements? Thanks!
    Last edited by Spork Schivago; 11-03-2018, 01:46 PM.
    -- Law of Expanding Memory: Applications Will Also Expand Until RAM Is Full

Re: Suggestions for a 4096x2160 @ 120Hz DP1.4 monitor

So far, the closest I could find was this LG 31MU97C-B

Specs say resolution for DisplayPort is 4096x2160 @ 60Hz.

The horizontal frequency is 30~134kHz, vertical is 56~61Hz.

Response time is 5ms (G to G, whatever that is), contrast ratio is 1,000:1, brightness is 320 cd/m2. I've seen other monitors that have a brightness of 500 cd/m2, but I don't really have a good reference, so I'm not sure what 320 cd/m2 would be.

Viewing angle is 178 degrees, 17:9 aspect ratio, 10 bit colour depth, 31" diagonal IPS monitor.

Not really the specs I'm looking at, because I cannot seem to find one that fits my needs. I see a few posts on the net where people say if the monitor doesn't support 4096x2160 @ 120Hz in 2018, it isn't worth the buy! But I just don't think they exist!

Comment

why so high resolution? you doing medical graphs or someing?

Comment

2560x1600 on a 30" makes fonts and other things very tiny....couldn't imagine it smaller!
        <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
        Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
        http://folding.stanford.edu/
        Team : 49813
        Join in!!
        Team Stats

Comment

May I ask why you need 4096x2160 and 3840x2160 - consumer 4K - wouldn't suit you?
          Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
          For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

3840x2160 might work, and after some research, 4k might not work at all. We run SolidWorks / SolidWorks PCB. After doing some research, it seems they're still ironing out some bugs with the 4k stuff. One of the video cards I have supports the 4096x2160 @ 120Hz and 5120x2880 @ 60Hz. I felt if I was going for 4k, might as well do the highest res the video card supported.

I sent our SolidWorks var a message to see if SolidWorks worked out all the 4k bugs (there were some scaling issues, and they were trying to hunt down the few remaining icons that still weren't properly scaling).

I believe I'm going for two 27 inch monitors. The higher res won't be so small on the larger sized monitors. It's nice to be able to have that high res when working on some designs.

Has anyone seen those wall mounts for monitors that allow you to keep the monitor up against the wall until you need it, then you can pull it out and down towards you, rotate it, move it left and right?

Comment

Has anyone played with those 1:1 aspect ratio monitors? Dell recommends a UltraView UP2718Q 27" IPS monitor for SolidWorks, but I've read for CAD type applications, you'd want the squarest type of monitor you could get...I just can't find anything saying why. I think maybe it was just someone's personal opinion?

I see BenQ makes some monitors specifically for CAD type work. Anyone have any experience with those?

I think high resolution and pixel density is important. I think having a IPS panel or maybe one of the proprietary panels (Samsung's PLS or AUO's AHVA) should be a requirement for this application. I don't have any experience with OLED. I wonder how they compare to IPS and if there's any business OLED monitors available yet.
              Last edited by Spork Schivago; 11-04-2018, 04:56 PM.

Comment

My SolidWorks VAR got back to me and said the few remaining issues with 4k monitors should be worked out by 2019. Until then, I could just drop the resolution to 1920x1080 if it became an issue.

I think I might go for a couple of the Dell UP2718Q

Comment

Anyone got any experience with those ViewSonic monitors? The one my ae recommended is 800$ cheaper than the Dell. It's a ViewSonic VP2785-4K. It's a 27" like the Dell.

Here's the specs on it:
                  Code:
                  Aspect Ratio	16:9
                  Backlight Technology	WLED
                  Brightness	350 cd/m²
                  Built-in Devices	KVM switch, USB 3.1 hub
                  Color Support	1.07 billion colors
                  Contrast Ratio	1000:1 / 20000000:1 (dynamic)
                  Diagonal Size	27"
                  Dimensions (WxDxH)	24.1 in x 8.5 in x 21.5 in - with stand
                  Display Type	LED-backlit LCD monitor / TFT active matrix
                  Features	Ambient light sensor, Eco-Mode, Backlight Sensor, 99% Adobe RGB color gamut, Transition Minimized Differential Signaling (TMDS) technology, 96% DCI-P3, HDR (high dynamic range), Hardware Calibration Ready
                  Horizontal Refresh Rate	15 - 130 kHz
                  Horizontal Viewing Angle	178
                  Native Resolution	4K UHD (2160p) 3840 x 2160 at 60 Hz
                  Panel Type	IPS
                  Response Time	14 ms (typical); 7 ms (gray-to-gray)
                  Screen Coating	Anti-glare, 3H Hard Coating
                  Vertical Refresh Rate	24 - 120 Hz
                  Vertical Viewing Angle	178
                  Viewable Size	27"
                  Weight	14.11 lbs

Connectivity
                  Interfaces	2 x HDMI ¦ Audio line-out (mini-jack) ¦ DisplayPort ¦ Mini DisplayPort ¦ 3 x USB 3.1 downstream (Type A) ¦ USB 3.1 upstream (Type B) ¦ USB 3.1 downstream (Type C)

Dimensions & Weight
                  Dimensions & Weight Details	Without stand - width: 24.1 in - depth: 2.3 in - height: 14.3 in - weight: 8.6 lbs ¦ With stand - width: 24.1 in - depth: 8.5 in - height: 21.5 in - weight: 14.1 lbs

Environmental Parameters
                  Humidity Range Operating	20 - 90% (non-condensing)
                  Max Operating Temperature	104 °F
                  Min Operating Temperature	32 °F

Environmental Standards
                  ENERGY STAR Certified	Yes

Manufacturer Warranty
                  Service & Support	Limited warranty - parts and labor - 3 years ¦ Limited warranty - backlight - 3 years

Mechanical
                  Display Position Adjustments	Height, pivot (rotation), swivel, tilt
                  Flat Panel Mount Interface	100 x 100 mm
                  Height Adjustment	5.1 in
                  Rotation Angle	90
                  Swivel Angle	120
                  Tilt Angle	- 5/+21

Miscellaneous
                  Backlight Life	30,000 hours
                  Cables Included	1 x Mini DisplayPort-DisplayPort cable - miniDisplayPort to DisplayPort - 6 ft ¦ 1 x SuperSpeed USB cable - USB Type A to B - 6 ft
                  Compliant Standards	FCC Class B certified, UL, cUL, CB, RoHS, WEEE, REACH, ERP, CoC
                  Features	Security lock slot (cable lock sold separately)
                  Localization	Canada, United States

Power
                  Power Consumption Operational	67 Watt
                  Power Consumption Stand by	0.5 Watt
                  Voltage Required	AC 100 - 240 V (50 - 60 Hz)

Software / System Requirements
                  Included Software	ViewSonic Wizard
                  That response time of 14ms (typical) and 7ms gray to gray worries me a bit. 14ms is a bit high.

The Dell is a little brighter at 400 cd/m² and has a response time of 6ms gray-to-gray. It doesn't list the typical.

The ViewSonic has 163 PPI, the Dell has 163 PPI. They seem fairly equivalent in specs.

The Dell just seems a little faster. Wish I could find the non-gray-to-gray response time for the Dell. Might make it a little easier to decide.

Comment

viewsonic is like a second or third tier lcd monitor manufacturer. i often see complaints of dead/stuck/defective pixels and failed monitors in many forums. bad pixels could cause a misread of a cad schematic resulting in a costly mistake. i wouldnt recommend it.

Comment

Originally posted by ChaosLegionnaire View Post
                      viewsonic is like a second or third tier lcd monitor manufacturer. i often see complaints of dead/stuck/defective pixels and failed monitors in many forums. bad pixels could cause a misread of a cad schematic resulting in a costly mistake. i wouldnt recommend it.
                      Thank you so much for that piece of information there. That has pretty much made up my mind. One Dell UP2718Q instead of two ViewSonic VP2785-4K. I wish I could afford two of those Dell UP2718Q's but they're pricey. I'd rather have one really good monitor than two that would end up costing us money.

Comment

dont worry about it lol. it costs around 1500 bucks right? that price is from the dell usa online site. it has hdr for accurate black color reproduction which mitigates the primary weakness of lcds as well as adobergb and srgb for accurate color reproduction. this makes it great for editing photos and video professionally as well. a true professional studio grade monitor would cost u a five figure sum! so 1500 bucks is already a good deal!

i also read some reviews about the up2718q and many rave about its excellent picture quality, winning editor's choice awards. so u got a good deal there!

*mumbles about getting a budget 400 buck samsung 27" uhd monitor* thats all i can afford lol!

Comment

dont worry about it lol. it costs around 1500 bucks right? that price is from the dell usa online site. it has hdr for accurate black color reproduction which mitigates the primary weakness of lcds as well as adobergb and srgb for accurate color reproduction. this makes it great for editing photos and video professionally as well. a true professional studio grade monitor would cost u a five figure sum! so 1500 bucks is already a good deal!

i also read some reviews about the up2718q and many rave about its excellent picture quality, winning editor's choice awards. so u got a good deal there!

*mumbles about getting a budget 400 buck samsung 27" uhd monitor* thats all i can afford lol!
                          Yeah, I was looking at those Eizo monitors, which run around 5k for the native 4k (4096x2160). I think those are more for movie production and video editing though. If the picture on the screen contains pixels too bright to view, it can highlight it in magenta, it can show a square on the screen, showing what the video would look like on a regular TV, etc.

I'm waiting for Dell to contact me about a Premier account. I've never had one, but applied for one. Their site says they offer deals specifically for Premier account holders, so maybe it'll be cheaper yet?

With taxes and everything, I'm just over 1,600$ I think. Not sure if the monitor comes with a stand or not (I see they sell them as optional accessories).

I need to purchase a long DisplayLink cable. I'm not sure what size yet. The nVidia Quadro P4000 is in the server, which is in the rack, and I wanted to run a DisplayLink from the server, up to the top of the rack, and through the joists on the ceiling, towards my work bench, and down to the monitor.

I was hoping I could find an xyz wall monitor mount, where when I'm not using the monitor, I can just push it up against the basement wall. When I need it, I can pull it out and down to where I'm sitting. That way, I have more room for all my equipment.

I think the other option would be building a shelf above my workbench and when I'm not using something, put it on the shelf. I could keep the monitor on the main workbench all the time and it won't be in the way so much.

I was originally thinking of using an IP based KVM, but (at least with the HPE ones) I don't get the 4k resolution. Eventually, I should get one of those IP based KVMs and one of HPE's consoles (monitor, keyboard, mouse pad that looks like a laptop but is designed specifically for the KVM). Until then, I'll just ssh into my various equipment when I need to configure something.

Comment

What do you use the Samsung monitor for? I got a 10$ HP high def (1080) monitor I found at the Salvation Army that I use for my desktop! It serves its purpose well.

I have a cousin who's into video editing and movie production, stuff like that. He's currently working for MTV editing their videos and stuff. Not sure what exactly he edits for them, but I wonder what type of monitor he has. I know a long time ago, he showed me an insane computer he used for that stuff. I remember having something like 1GB IDE hard drive, he had like 4TB. Insane amount of RAM for the time. It was all for video editing though. He'd store the entire video on his PC and do whatever he needed to do. It blew my mind, but I was just a teenager.

Comment

well my main uses are for gaming and watching movies. recently, i got a canon camera to take pics of my stuff to upload on here so i could use some accurate color reproduction for photos as well but im hardly a pro so its not really necessary.

i've been eyeing the samsung monitors due to their cheap price and value for money. recently, there was a computer fair and exhibition here and samsung had these three uhd monitors on sale. please refer to the attached images of the brochure. do take note the prices are in singapore dollars so some currency conversion is necessary. currently, US$1 = S$1.375

was tempted by the u28e590 because of its under S$400 dollar price tag and affordability but the cheap price comes with some quid pro quos like it being a tn panel which has lower color quality and narrower viewing angles. btw, u can tell tn panels and ips panels apart from the viewing angles and response time. tn panels typically have a 170/160° viewing angle but faster response time. ips panels typically have a 178° viewing angle.

im also tempted by the u32h850 due to its larger 31.5" screen size and 300 bucks off the usual price is also a very good deal! all models also support picture-in-picture and picture-by-picture so u can display multiple hdmi and display port inputs all in one screen. this is useful for multi-tasking like watching tv, doing work and surfing the net at the same time lol!

as for dell monitors, i recall dell had a 27" 5k resolution monitor, the up2715k, but it doesnt appear to be available for sale anymore. i also recall it was very costly! something like 2 grand or 2.5 grand in us dollars for one.

dell also has an 8k resolution monitor, the up3218k but it also costs 3700 bucks! this is the review of it from the verge.

in your post, u didnt specify what your budget is, so i dont know if these top end monitors are too costly for u.
                              Attached Files

Comment

well my main uses are for gaming and watching movies. recently, i got a canon camera to take pics of my stuff to upload on here so i could use some accurate color reproduction for photos as well but im hardly a pro so its not really necessary.

i've been eyeing the samsung monitors due to their cheap price and value for money. recently, there was a computer fair and exhibition here and samsung had these three uhd monitors on sale. please refer to the attached images of the brochure. do take note the prices are in singapore dollars so some currency conversion is necessary. currently, US$1 = S$1.375

was tempted by the u28e590 because of its under S$400 dollar price tag and affordability but the cheap price comes with some quid pro quos like it being a tn panel which has lower color quality and narrower viewing angles. btw, u can tell tn panels and ips panels apart from the viewing angles and response time. tn panels typically have a 170/160° viewing angle but faster response time. ips panels typically have a 178° viewing angle.

im also tempted by the u32h850 due to its larger 31.5" screen size and 300 bucks off the usual price is also a very good deal! all models also support picture-in-picture and picture-by-picture so u can display multiple hdmi and display port inputs all in one screen. this is useful for multi-tasking like watching tv, doing work and surfing the net at the same time lol!

as for dell monitors, i recall dell had a 27" 5k resolution monitor, the up2715k, but it doesnt appear to be available for sale anymore. i also recall it was very costly! something like 2 grand or 2.5 grand in us dollars for one.

dell also has an 8k resolution monitor, the up3218k but it also costs 3700 bucks! this is the review of it from the verge.

in your post, u didnt specify what your budget is, so i dont know if these top end monitors are too costly for u.
                                An 8K would have been nice, but I think overkill. The max resolution my HPE nVidia Quadro P4000 supports is 5k. I always call it an HPE nVidia Quadro because from what I've read, they're different than the nVidia Quadros. I believe it's just the firmware that is slightly modified. Some user on a forum somewhere in time wrote for help, saying he saved a lot of money by buying an nVidia card instead of the HPE nVidia card, but it wasn't working with the server or there were some problems he was having, to the point where he could not use the card. That's when one of the people on the forum mentioned how the HPE cards are different. He was able to provide the user with some file that the user was going to have to write to the card. If I remember, it wasn't actually firmware, but something in addition to the firmware. A special part that just wasn't there on the consumer ones. I believe it might have voided the warranty on the card, but I believe it worked for the gentlemen.

More good news. I called Dell's Sales and got my own sales rep, Steven. He got me the monitor for 1,379.49$ + taxes, with a total price tag of 1,489.85$

Comment

My budget for this monitor was 2,000$ USD or less. I applied for a free DUNS number and received a call from them today. That messed everything up and I think I might have got conned a little bit here. I was told by the DUNS representative that I filled out the wrong application and that the application I filled out was only if I was a Software Developer working for Apple or if I was working for the United States Government (or receiving a grant, etc).

I know that the free numbers are required for the above mentioned applications, but I do not see them as being requirements. I should have been able to receive a free DUNS numbers, that would not contain my business's credit report.

Anyway, the DUNS person talked a good game and said the price for the correct application was 1,499$, plus state tax, which comes to a whopping total of 1,618.92$, a year!

That ate up the rest of my money and I did not have enough for the IPS monitor. I applied for a line of business credit with Dell. That was denied because I didn't have a DUNS number at the time (it'll take up to 5 days to retrieve one). I called to see why (I didn't know originally). The sales rep was good and was able to start a Dell line of Credit in my name, instead of the business name. I didn't want to go that way in case my business failed. But felt the monitor, at this point, was more of a necessity than a want.

I ended up getting pre-approved, everything seemed to be going good, the sales guy was saving me lots of money (not really, when you factor in the insanely high interest rate), I thought my monitor would be here on the 13th, and then I get a phone call from Dell! The order was put on hold. They were looking at the old Corning Electronics in the DUNS database, which was an S-Corp I believe, not my new business. I had to fill out some form so they could prove I'm not some terrorist or something. I did that and signed it, sent it back. I had to call some verification department to try and prove who I was. That failed, the guy has to have his supervisor review it before it's approved.

They said I didn't do anything wrong and nothing is wrong, they are just trying to protect me, because it's a fairly large order price for a small business and they just need to verify I am who I say I am. I am questioning that though. For the bank Dell uses, I had to give all my info, social security number, address, driver ID, etc. Surely, they could go to the NYS Department of Business and Corporation Entity Lookup Database and see my info matches what the businesses info says there...

I feel they're probably getting confused about the old business that had the same name as mine, but was the S-Corp or C-Corp or whatever Corp, versus mine, which is an LLC. The old one has been out of business for a very long time, since 99 or somewhere around that time. They kept a hold on the name till 2006 I think and then they never renewed it.

It's frustrating.

Comment

I got the new Dell UP2718Q today. Looks real nice, but I don't have it hooked up yet.

I'm running cables to the rack. We have Belden 2412f CAT6, but it has a greater OD than regular CAT6 and it's extremely hard to terminate because of that.

I have BlackBox jacks that are made for shielded CAT6, but they are just too small for this cable. I had to get creative and smush the wire a little to get it to fit into the end.

I have to push the cable as far into the end as possible, because the twists are in the outer sheath and if I don't push it all the way in, I'll get cross-talk.

Comment

Working...
                                    X