ThinkPad E580 nm-b421 turns off after 10 seconds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ThinkPad E580 nm-b421 turns off after 10 seconds

Hey everyone, I've got a bit of a peculiar issue here. I have a ThinkPad E580 that turns on, keyboard backlight turns on, num lock, caps lock and fn lock leds turn on, display turns on and shows lenovo logo, but the internal keyboard is completele unresponsive. if I try to enter the bios with an external keyboard, I hear the beep and see that it tries, but it crashes when it reaches that stage. This also only works if I take out the wifi card, if I leave the wifi card in, the boot process takes a tiny bit longer, and it turns off before it registers my keypresses.

I have tried reflashing the bios (which is how I got to this stage, originally it wouldn't display anything but a solid dash in the top left) and I have measure the voltage rails, they all seem to be fine. I have noticed that shortly before turning off, the 5v and 3v3 rails dip lower for a second. I have also interfaced with the UART port of the EC/KBC, and it gives me an "EC INIT OK !!!" message, so I am not sure it's the EC.

if I take out the ram, the laptop stays on for a lot longer before it crashes, and when there is no ram inserted, the keyboard seems to be somewhat responsive, as pressing FN will make it repeat the beep codes.

Anyone have any ideas? Thanks in advance!

Re: ThinkPad E580 nm-b421 turns off after 10 seconds

Hi!
    Did you find a solution? I have E580 with smilar problem - it turns off after succesfull booting just before show Windows login screen.
    Regards!

Comment

Try booting in SAFE mode of Windows to rule out some bad device driver.

Even better if you can try to boot from a USB thumbdrive with a Linux distribution to test the same idea.

Comment

Lenovo E580 NM-B421 shutting down early in boot

Hello friends!
        I have problem with Lenovo E580. When powered up - system booting normally until the moment when Windows login screen appears. But instead, power button blinks two or three times and laptop shut itself down immediately. No matter if it is linux or windows, no matter M.2 SSD or SATA is used. I tried several drives- it's not connected to faulty drive, it happens even when starting linux from USB.
        Any ideas?
        Thanks in Advance!

Comment

What is the power source ? Battery or official / original power adapter ?

If using the power adapter, can you test with the power adapter only? (no battery)

Comment

HI, strange thing -i was once lucky to power up this laptop on battery alone but when I plugged power adapter (USB-C) i turns off immidiately. With power adapter only nothing change. With battery also. Maybe it's issue with power adapter, usb-c socket or RTS5455 IC on mainboard?

Comment

Hi
              I narrowed my problem to fact, that in Windows or Linux, when I plug AC adapter laptop switching off immidiately (button diode blinks 2 or 3 times). When powered from battery it works normally. Also, it's working normally in BIOS or Windows safe mode, when powered form AC adapter.Do you have any ideas?
              Regards!

Comment

From #5
                official / original power adapter ?

Comment

Hi, power supply is original, when I tried on the second original adapter it was the same. In my opinion it's hardware-software probelm, because laptop on windows in safe mode working normally, linux - the same problem, so it's OS independent. Maybe Windows in normal mode loading some drivers, which cause the problem?

Comment

Working...
                  X