X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

EPoX EP-8RDA+ - Non Working Condition

Just bought this from Ebay;

http://cgi.ebay.com/AMD-462-Motherbo...ayphotohosting

This board is in NON WORKING CONDITION and is being sold as such.

I do not know what is wrong with this board all I know is that it will power up for a sort time then shut off.

Model Number EP-8RDA+

I'm assuming that the caps are bad, and that it was worth the $15.99 i paid for it. ($0.99 + 14.99 shipping).

I shall soon see.

Re: EPoX EP-8RDA+ - Non Working Condition

I think i have all the needed caps.

6 - 3300uf, 6.3v, 10.0mm, Rubycon MBZ
    4 - 2200uf, 10.0v, 12.5mm, Panasonic FM (i'm hoping that these will fit)
    5 - 1500uf, 6.3v, 10.0mm, Panasonic FM
    9 - 1000uf, 6.3v, 8.0mm, Panasonic FM
    7 - 470uf, 16.0v, 8.0mm, Rubycon MBZ

Comment

let use know how you go
      good luck too
      lets hope caps are its only problems

yeah dont you just hate Ebay and postage
      You step into the Road, and if you don't keep your feet, there is no knowing where you may be swept off to." Bilbo Baggins ...

Comment

Hmmmm.

I just checked inside the case of my 8RGA to get an idea of the cap placement. It (now) has the shorter MCZ caps around the RAM slots instead of the tall FM caps i first considered.

9 - 1000uf, 6.3v, 8.0mm, Panasonic FM
        The taller caps wouldn't interfere around the RAM slots but the one between the AGP and the first PCI slot might.

If things are consistant with the 8RGA board, the remaining 8mm caps will be 470uf, 16v caps. The only 470uf caps i have are MBZ, and fall well below the height of the PCI slots.

Comment

The board arrived today and most of the caps 'look' good. The only exception is a GSC with a flat top that appears to be lifted away from the board about 3mm on one leg. The cap feels more loose than if just not installed against the board (it wobbles)

According to the seller, this board would run for a while and then shut off.

Comment

I noticed that the vent looked different on the 'bent' capacitor, so i pulled it.

WTF is this?

It has the GSC colors but there is a symbol on it that looks like an "H".

--edit--

And the caps that i thought were 'GSC' say 'KQC' on the side.
            Last edited by gastorgrab; 09-20-2007, 03:38 PM.

Comment

The CMOS socket is cracked!

I'll clean the area well and attempt to repair with a fillet of Tak-Pak.

Comment

Update - solder pad is missing.

It must have pulled off with the solder wick.......i'm assuming. It was there before i pulled the cap, and nothing is there now. The strange part is that it was no more difficult to pull that particular cap than any other.

Maybe this board has been factory recapped before. It full of strange brand caps; G-Luxon, KQC, and whatever the brand of cap uses an 'H' in a circle.

Now it's a practice board.
                Last edited by gastorgrab; 09-21-2007, 06:54 AM.

Comment

Maybe you can find somewhere else to tap into the voltage line that was on that cap. If it's an input cap, then you could just solder the replacement on the back of the board underneath the power connector. It's ugly, but it might work out just as well.

It's likely there's something else wrong with the board though, the cap was probably just bent from getting bumped into so many times when the power connector was getting plugged. The eventual power off symptom sounds like his power supply was gradually getting overloaded, like there's a short that gets worse as the board runs somehow.

Comment

The ebay seller had originally pulled the BIOS chip for some reason. It's the most straight forward explanation for the chip socket being broken. Under the chip there was a diagonal scratch where it looked like the tool had slipped.

I won't worry about it. I was a little confused because i usually know exactly when i break something. I'm just glad that i didn't pay a lot for it.

On a side note, the 2200uf, 10v x 12mm caps seem to fit acceptably. The caps didn't interfere with each other in any way but i was concerned that they might be damaged by the sharp edges on the mosfets.
                    I took a stem from a Q-tip and slid it under the caps to eventually put some space between the two rows.

I'd post a picture of the approximately 5 degree the caps are now installed at but the camera is on it's way to a wedding right now. This is the area i'm talking about though;

Last edited by gastorgrab; 09-22-2007, 12:06 PM.

Comment

I wouldn't worry about the angle the caps are at. Heck my bro's patchworked 8KHA+ has a bunch of 12.5mm caps crammed in that area sitting at all sorts of crazy angles I should snap a pic sometime to show my handywork lol.

Comment

Anyone else saw "H" caps before?
                        ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

Originally posted by RJARRRPCGP
                          Anyone else saw "H" caps before?
                          Here is the exactly information you need ---> http://www.cn-huayue.com/e1.htm
                          My SAMXON Capacitors Database HERE!!

X-CON is a new brand for SAMXON's Polymer Capacitors.

Comment

thats one i have not seen.
                            btw i bought a 8kha+ for $1 at hamfest.
                            same symptoms.scoping vcore showed extreme ripple and hash.
                            all the teapo's were open but not bulging.
                            doent look good with yours as someone has been messing around with it.
                            bad caps and a bad flash?

Comment

Oh-well.........it's a practice part now.

When you buy something that you can hold in your hand first, you have a chance of noticing small area's of damage. Some of the pictures of the boards available on ebay are sorta fuzzy.

I knew it was a gamble.

--edit--

Just a thought, but would one of those USB microscopes (i think intended for kids) be useful for taking close-up pictures of circiut boards?

Has anyone tried it?

I'm wondering if the surface of the solder would be too reflective to get a good picture of solder joints.

Comment

Originally posted by gastorgrab
                                Oh-well.........it's a practice part now.

When you buy something that you can hold in your hand first, you have a chance of noticing small area's of damage. Some of the pictures of the boards available on ebay are sorta fuzzy.

I knew it was a gamble.

--edit--

Just a thought, but would one of those USB microscopes (i think intended for kids) be useful for taking close-up pictures of circiut boards?

Has anyone tried it?

I'm wondering if the surface of the solder would be too reflective to get a good picture of solder joints.
                                look for screwdriver stab marks near the socket clips.
                                if the p.o was careless about the bios socket they were probably careless in dealing with the hsf clips too.
                                a busted bios socket can be fixed if thats all thats wrong.

Comment

a busted bios socket can be fixed if thats all thats wrong.

There's also the missing trace on the back of the board.

After so much it stops being fun. I'll just get another board and keep the sanity i have (left).

Comment

OK, i went with a two-pack this time. I'm hoping that at least one of these boards is fixable.

My latest ebay find:

EPoX 8RDA+

EPoX 8RDA3+

And again, no emergency here. I just like these boards. I've had very good luck with the nforce2 chipset.

Comment

Yes I agree they are a nice motherboard. A good recap works wonders and a good heatsink (Thermalright HR-09U secured to the MOSFETs with silicone adhesive) to cool the MOSFETS improves life even more. However the chipset does not support high density memory, this can be a trap. 1Gb memory modules will typically not operate with this board. The NF3 250 chipset is the nearest chipset to support high density.
                                      Gigabyte EP45-DS3L Ultra Reliable (Power saver)
                                      Intel E8400 (3000Mhz) Bios temps. 4096Mb 800Mhz DDR2 Corsair XMS2 4-4-4-12
                                      160Gb WD SATAII Server grade
                                      Nvidia 8500GT 256Mb
                                      160Gb WD eSATAII Server grade for backup.
                                      Samsung 18x DVD writer
                                      Pioneer 16x DVD writer + 6x Dual layer
                                      33 way card reader
                                      Windows XP Pro SP3
                                      Thermaltake Matrix case with 430W Silent Power
                                      17" Benq FP737s LCD monitor
                                      HP Officejet Pro K5300 with refillable tanks

Comment

Boards showed up today and were closely inspected:

8RDA clearly has bad caps. According to the post on ebay the board became unstable.

8RDA3 has junk caps but none of them look bad (or even that old). According to the seller, this board would not enter BIOS.

.......but i'm not surprised since the CMOS jumper was missing.

Comment

Working...
                                        X