Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gigabyte K8n-sli

Hello everybody

I have a Gigabyte K8N-sli with a amd 64 +3000 and 1go ram (corsair) and a ATI Radeon X800 on it.

This system had some strange temporary freeze when in use, so I decide to reformat and reinstall XP on it.
    everything went well until I ended updating XP (all the KBs form windows udpate) and updated frivers from Gigabyte web site.

since then i have the following
    - windows boot screen freeze (just after the leds from the keyboard flashes), and nothing else happen
    - in safe mode I can go in windows, no trouble
    - cannot access the bios setup. black screen.

What I've done
    - test another PSU : not solved
    - put new thermal paste on CPU : no changes
    - changed video card (a Nvidia Quatro) : can access the bios, windows still freeze at boot time
    - remove, swapped memory modules : no changes

so it seems to me that it can be
    - hardware : motherboard or CPU
    - software : a driver in windows is wrong and prevent the system to load in normal mode, but do not affect the safe mode (is one of the drivers for nf4 making problems?)

what's makes me confuse is the case of the bios setup display. it works with the Nvidia, but not the ATI, but both cards are working in safe mode.

There no visible caps damaged on the board (from far inspection)
    the Northbridge is extremly hot (cannot touch the heatsink), maybe I have to put there some thermal paste.

Any advice is welcome.

Thanks

P

Re: Gigabyte K8n-sli

Hi I have no experience of using this but it was recommended by a member in another post

http://www.astra32.com/index.htm

You could also try here

http://uk.msi.com/product/mb/K8N-SLI...tml#/?div=BIOS

At the bottom is a live update which scans your system and checks drivers.
    Please upload pictures using attachment function when ask for help on the repair
    http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=39740

Comment

umm he is using a gigabyte board and you have linked to the msi website...

and ts should just take note of all the capacitor's model, ratings etc. on his board and just list them here. some caps can fail without bulging or any visible signs.

i have similar issues to yours and i think its caused by badcaps. i got faulty 05 nichicon hm datecodes on mine.

Comment

Good catch - old age and two many K8N-SLI s - I had been looking at a MSI board a bit earlier and was looking on google if it had its own vga socket so the OP could set up without any extra cards. From then on went downhill and linked the mSI and the GA
        Please upload pictures using attachment function when ask for help on the repair
        http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=39740

Comment

hi everybody

Looks like it was the ATI board.
          Replaced by the Nvidia Quadro fx570 and it seems that it works
          I'll keep an eye on it.

I do not understand why with the ATI
          -no access to bios setup page (black screen)
          - boot in normal mode stops at windows page
          - works in safe mode.

another mystery?

thanks
          P

Comment

i think it could be that the x800 video card is going to die soon. it works in safe mode cuz it uses a generic vga driver that is less stressful for the card so it works. but normal windows uses the full hardware acceleration mode which is too stressful for the failing card so it locks up on you.

Comment

HI

That's also the feeling I have.

i'll test it in another machine, just to exclude a motherboard related issue.

thanks for you help.

Comment

Working...
              X