Gigabyte GA 8S661FXM No Post No Beep

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Gigabyte GA 8S661FXM No Post No Beep

Well we wouldn't wanna violate and copyrights or anything HERE would we... LOL
    Mann-Made Global Warming.
    - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
    Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
    -
    You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
    -

Comment

Originally posted by PCBONEZ
      Well we wouldn't wanna violate and copyrights or anything HERE would we... LOL

Just giving the credit to the one deserving it. After all, a lawsuit is the last thing I need now that I don't have a job anymore ...
      There are 10 kind of people in this world: those that understand binary, and those who don't.
      • ASUS ROG Maximus IX Code
      • Intel Core i5-7600K 3.8GHz
      • 16gb GSKILL TridentZ RGB DDR4-3200
      • 1 M2 SSD + 2 WD Blue 1TB (Mirrored)
      • Windows 10 Pro x64
      • GeForce GT1050
        2 x Acer KA240H + 1 Vewsonic VP2130 21 (a cap replacement job )

Comment

Originally posted by eguevarae
        Just giving the credit to the one deserving it. After all, a lawsuit is the last thing I need now that I don't have a job anymore ...
        Good thing you've told me. I was just about to get on the phone with my lawyer to have you brought up on charges of copyright infringement. I was gonna sponsor my next computer upgrade on the proceeds of the case.

On a more serious note. I got a hold of a 775 socket Celeron D for purposes of testing. The owner swore that it works. I popped it in to the mobo, plugged in a known good PSU and a working stick of 512MB DDR400 ram. When I flipped the switch both fans (4pin CPU and 3 pin case) started spinning and then shut down after a few seconds. So at least the power is flowing.

However when I shortcircuit the -POW+ pins I get nothing. It wont boot up.

Any ideas how to proceed now?

Comment

Originally posted by swartz
          However when I shortcircuit the -POW+ pins I get nothing. It wont boot up.
          Any ideas how to proceed now?
          I've checked the CPU compatibility list on Gigabytes website. The celeron D 330 chip I have is in fact compatible with this board but only from firmware version F4. I dont know what firmware I have on the mobo, but there is a good chance its is not the latest.

Could this have an impact on the mobo not working completely? I'd venture to guess that at least it should start or make some beeps if it at least sees the cpu.

Comment

I've checked the CPU compatibility list on Gigabytes website. The celeron D 330 chip I have is in fact compatible with this board but only from firmware version F4. I dont know what firmware I have on the mobo, but there is a good chance its is not the latest.

Could this have an impact on the mobo not working completely? I'd venture to guess that at least it should start or make some beeps if it at least sees the cpu.
            It may have some impact. When I install CPUs (or someone else does) and they are not compatible, normally the MoBo comes to life but no video is shown. In rare cases, the system tries to turn on and then shuts off. That might be your case.
            There are 10 kind of people in this world: those that understand binary, and those who don't.
            • Windows 10 Pro x64
            • GeForce GT1050

Comment

Damn it. After soldering four 2200 uF 16v caps I have no luck booting it.
              Nothing I have tried so far made it work. The fans speed when I flip the switch on PSU, but when I short -POW+.... one big NOTHING...

Arghhhh... frustrated.

Comment

Have you tried resetting the CMOS? [BIOS]

-
                Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
                -
                You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
                -

Comment

Damn it. After soldering four 2200 uF 16v caps I have no luck booting it.
                  Nothing I have tried so far made it work. The fans speed when I flip the switch on PSU, but when I short -POW+.... one big NOTHING...

Arghhhh... frustrated.
                  Sounds like a victim of a Worstec PSU ... are you sure it was working?
                  Also, the suggestion from PCBONEZ might help. Some MoBos don't turn on/post with a corrupted CMOS.
                  • Windows 10 Pro x64
                  • GeForce GT1050

Comment

I am not sure on Gigabyte boards but I know on Asus boards if you have a newer CPU than the BIOS will support, you will not get POST (it appears to be DEAD, no beep, nothing, nada). You can try to borrow a CPU that the original BIOS will support to carry further.

Comment

thats why i've got a normal Celeron (not Celeron D) for testing motherboards..

Celeron D = Prescott core = not all boards support it

Comment

Originally posted by Scenic
                        thats why i've got a normal Celeron (not Celeron D) for testing motherboards..

Celeron D = Prescott core = not all boards support it
                        That's right. Get a Celeron CPU to rule that out.
                        • Windows 10 Pro x64
                        • GeForce GT1050

Comment

Just to update.

Yes, I have tried resetting the CMOS via the jumper as well as removing the battery when all power cables are unplugged. No go.

I obtained a Pentium 4 530 for testing purposes. But much like the Celeron D it is only supported in the latest BIOS. No one I know has an older 775 chip. Damn it.

I shall try to take the mobo to one of the computer stores, maybe they have a chip we can test right there and then. I hope they wont charge me some ridiculous amount for 5min of their time.

Comment

I've a few of these boards at work, in various degrees of flaky functionality, I'll confirm the caps on them for you.
                            Not a clue *why* they're flaky - they've all been 'repaired' by Gigabyte when they previously didn't work at all.

Edit: Must apologize for bumping an older thread if it's against forum rules. Scrolling through the thread I saw 06-11 and thought 6th November, didn't look at the last post date.
                            Last edited by seanc; 11-21-2009, 07:38 PM.

Comment

Check the PSU's.
                              They may be bummers.

-

- Dr Seuss
                              -
                              -

Comment

They've been tested with new PSUs, other boards have been put in their places which run fine.

Comment

Start looking at the 4 & 5 mm caps then.

-

- Dr Seuss
                                  -
                                  -

Comment

Working...
                                  X